Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2011, 08:47 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,530,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
Well, since I was responding to a poster who was blindly throwing darts at any and all things he can think of in relation to Cincinnati, I thought it was an interesting irony. I don't think you're shocking revelation that no one alive today was around in 1492 does much to change that.
It's only ironic if you believe the name of a city has anything whatsoever to do with any perceived racial problems within it.

...and the city was named in 1812, not 1492. But what's a few hundred years when we're throwing darts?

Old 07-26-2011, 08:48 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,530,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RioDominicana View Post
a

Maybe he was referring to the river in Columbus, the Scioto. I know some people confuse it with the Ohio River often.
The Ohio River is a significant river. The Scioto is decidedly not in that league.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:57 PM

16,345 posts, read 17,939,949 times
Quote:
^ This is exactly right.

I once moved to Cheyenne, Wyo., for a job, and I can assure you in every way possible that I did not do that because I thought it was the "best city" or even a better city than where I moved from.

It did, however, employ me for a number of years. Therefore I tolerated it and endured it and even developed a sense of nostalgia for it. I couldn't wait, however, to leave when the right opportunity arose.

I'd guess a fair number of those people moving to Columbus with their feet are doing so for similar reasons and with similar emotions. In fact, I'd say its reasonable to suggest that a good chunk of people who move anywhere and are doing it strictly for employment purposes aren't likely to be all that enthused, be it Columbus, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Miami, New York, Seattle, anywhere.

I have no doubt that many people move generally for employment or similar reasons, but I fail to see the reasoning that once moved, they must hate where they have moved to. Columbus' economy and job prospects are not so astronomical that it completely explains the growth rates. There have to be other factors involved concerning quality of life, because a city that may have jobs but nothing else is not going to gain any positive repuation enough to have people continually move, at least not in double-digit numbers for decades on end.

jbcmh81: Do you really believe what your blind Columbus boosterism forces you to anonymously type? That Cleveland and Cincinnati are "living in the past" and that "all of the amenities" in those cities are remnants of a bygone era? So the literally billions of dollars in currently ongoing construction, robust downtown development, massive infrastructure improvements, new businesses, major investments in urban neighborhoods, booming suburbs, etc. are all what, exactly? Living in the past? Sounds like someone is living in some bizarro world where Columbus is the center of the known universe and all other nearby cities bow to its mere existence.

Anonymously? What are you referring to, exactly? We are all basically anonymous here. I don't know you, you don't know me. And you seriously can't argue that most of what Cleveland/Cincy have now didn't come about largely because the cities were much more prominent in the 1950s/60s. That they have continued on despite losing 2/3rds of the population does not go against that point. You keep touting billions in improvements... okay but so what? All 3 cities are experiencing this, and both Cincinnati and Cleveland have FAR more to fix/rebuild. No, I don't think Columbus is the center of the universe, but since so many go out of their way to dismiss it, often with outdated information or assumptions, I'm going to make arguments against that.

Incidentally, when was the last time Columbus built a major skyscraper downtown? And how long until the Blue Jackets leave Columbus for a Canadian market or even Atlanta?

Commentary: It
When's the last time Cleveland built a major skyscraper?? Cincy built one recently, which was the first one in many years. Do you think Columbus will continue to grow at present rates and not get more? Yeah, good luck with that. The Blue Jackets aren't leaving.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
Having been a former resident of Columbus, I became attached to the city for some of its unique amenities, areas and offerings ...

There's absolutely NOTHING in Cle or Cincy that compares to "German Village" ... it is so incredibly inviting, beautiful and quite unique.

Columbus has much to be proud of ... it is presently our states largest city ( due largely to excessive annexation tho ) and it continues to evolve in a positive manner.

I enjoyed Columbus for what it offered ... but, I missed Cleveland much more because of what COLUMBUS simply could not provide ...

It's no fault of Columbus ... Cleveland blossomed during an era when cities constructed grandiose and iconic cultural venues, built marvelous and intricate architecture ... and the city became a world wide titan due to the industry that shaped it into a GOLIATH, gaining international acclaim and posture ... a position that Cleveland still retains to this day.

While living in Columbus, I became a very vocal proponent of the city ... esp here on city data ... but, despite all of the progress that Columbus has made, it is still NOT a solid match for either CLEVELAND or CINCINNATI ...

I know for a fact that Columbus is NOT experiencing anywhere near the BUILDING BOOM and renaissance that Cleveland is experiencing.
The winds of change are blowing ... and the trending that is propelling Cleveland ... it is beginning to gain the attention of the world again.

Indeed, I would not be surprised to see an even bigger turn around trend in in Clevelands population ... with many rediscovering "the forest city" and new comers flocking to the region.

There's alottttttttttttttttttttttt going on in Cleveland right now, much more than those in Columbus may care to know about!

Columbus is a bright and beautiful star in the countries midwest ... but it's goin' to have to keep runnin' with the likes of CLE ....

Here's what is happening NOW in CLE ... Columbus just can't compare to this level of investment and re-investment ...

‪Greater Cleveland Partnership 2011 Annual Meeting Video‬‏ - YouTube

‪Your Changing Cleveland‬‏ - YouTube
If you're a proponent of Columbus, I'd hate to see its detractors.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Compared to the lovely landfill that greets visitors driving into Columbus, Ohio, on 71 from the south? Yea, that's really one of America's most picturesque city approaches ... right up there with driving into San Francisco or Seattle.

Cincinnati's metro continues to grow in population, so not everyone is skipping over it as you think. And, speaking of race issues, you want to discuss that when your city is named after this man: Christopher Columbus: The Original Racist - Denver race relations | Examiner.com

By the way, isn't there a tent sale on OSU windsocks that play Hang On Sloopy for you to get to before they're all sold out? After all, you can't even spell Columbus without O-S-U.

Finally, according to the Associated Press and also USA Today, Cincinnati and Cleveland are the only two Ohio cities that can stand alone in datelines. Columbus always needs the Ohio on first reference so people know where it is.
What landfill on 71? There hasn't been one down there in many years. The only one I can think of that used to be there is now a golf course. Way to keep up to date on your facts

Cincinnati's METRO is growing, not the city itself which continues to lose people.

Yeah, so Columbus is a bad city because the guy it was named after could be a douche? Strange logic there. What does that have to do with present race relations?

Yeah, knowing where it is hasn't made people want to live there, has it. I'd rather have people say they want to live in Columbus, Ohio than they want to leave (can't spell Cleveland without leave) Cleveland or Cincinnati...period.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelieveInCleve View Post
LOL Ok, this is just getting ridiculous. Lake Erie is a Great Lake/Inland Sea, the Ohio River and those small lakes are nowhere even remotely comparable.
Size queen.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scioto View Post
Incidentally, when was the last time Columbus built a major skyscraper downtown?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Columbus is focusing on buiding housing downtown, and infill projects which it needs to do at this time. Columbus needs density not height, which is the new direction planning appears to be heading. Columbus is doing just fine, doing it's "own thing".
Yes, someone who is really into urban walkability would probably not want just a downtown full of skyscrapers. High residential populations with shops/retail is what density is all about. Not height. That's why our best urban neighborhoods tend not to be right in the middle of downtowns. That said, Columbus will be getting more skyscrapers, it's only a matter of time.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:24 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,122,456 times
Wow you guys are going at it. All three cities bring a lot to the table and one isn't any better than the other, it's all personal preference.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:01 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,241,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
When's the last time Cleveland built a major skyscraper?? Cincy built one recently, which was the first one in many years. Do you think Columbus will continue to grow at present rates and not get more? Yeah, good luck with that. The Blue Jackets aren't leaving.
Not too significant, but a 21 story office tower and 8-story hotel are currently under construction Downtown:

Flats East Bank project closes financing, to start construction | cleveland.com

The last major one before that was 24-stories in 2002. Carl B. Stokes Federal Court House Building - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-26-2011, 03:03 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,241,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Yes, someone who is really into urban walkability would probably not want just a downtown full of skyscrapers. High residential populations with shops/retail is what density is all about. Not height.
Cleveland's Downtown residential population is by far the largest of the 3 C's btw...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio