Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2007, 12:17 AM

1 posts, read 4,963 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Dayton area, Wright-Patt afb with husband next month. We are looking for a house and very much wanted to live in a slightly more rural area (rather than suburban). We had been hoping for Yellow Springs, but with Antioch closing, this seems like a gamble. Does anyone know anything about Xenia? Is it a pretty cool town, with more outdoor life than, say Beaver Creek and the like? Would this be a recommended place to live?

Thanks for any help you can give!
-Colleen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 12:23 AM

253 posts, read 1,740,222 times
Xenia? All I can say is GUMMO!

Old 06-15-2007, 08:47 AM

2,107 posts, read 5,081,326 times
More land can be found in Xenia's surrounding townships for a better price then Beavercreek Township. Especially for the price people now pay in Beavercreek (and for that matter, Yellow Springs). If you are looking for rural, just stay out of Xenia proper as it has some so-so areas and is mostly older to newer tract subdivisions on a cheaper scale to Beavercreek. With that said, avoid areas SW of Xenia as this is where the city is annexing for new development. Areas between Yellow Springs and Xenia offer some beautiful countryside. Also check out Ceaderville Twp. which offers a better school district.

Otherwise, in terms of charm, there is little that beats or compares to Yellow Springs (mostly because of its liberal nature). While Xenia has a downtown shopping district, its nowhere near as vibrant as that of Yellow Springs. Still, the town is diverse and it feels safe to walk around. There is a little restaurant on the corner of Main and Detriot (US 35 and 68) that serves wonderful meals. The city will be building a new YMCA to replace the old one behind the library. The bike path that passes through Yellow Springs continues through Xenia central with three (one under const.) spurs that head off to other towns.

In terms of country/rural living near WPAFB, Greene and Clark counties tend to offer the best options without having to commute all the way up I-675 from, say Germantown. Rural Greene County also puts you close to numerous highways (US 35, 675, 71, 70, US 42, US 68), shopping (Beavercreek), and nature parks (John Bryan, Bike Trails, Narrows, Little Miami).

Old 06-16-2007, 05:51 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,210,895 times
I'm in the same boat. Did a short house hunting trip and to my mind you have to commute a fair ways to get rural.
I suppose eventually the SW area of Xenia that your talking about Wrightflyer will join with Bellbrook? And that will join with Centreville?
I like small towns near work and am really going to miss Plattsmouth here south of Offutt. Dont know that I'll find anything similar to it out there.
That was news to me about Antioch?!?!?!?! That will really change Yellow Springs I'd imagine - why is it closing?

Old 06-16-2007, 08:10 AM

2,107 posts, read 5,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
That was news to me about Antioch?!?!?!?! That will really change Yellow Springs I'd imagine - why is it closing?
The school was having a hard time finding any money from low enrollment to high costs. The school was borrowing from its other campuses on the west coast and McGregor. From what I understand, McGregor, which is also in Yellow Springs, will remain open. They even are building a new building just outside of town on Day-Yellow Springs Rd. But don't let that make you think why are they losing money? The different campuses seem to have different financial sheets. As for the eventual merger of Xenia and Bellbrook subdivisions, yeah, that day will probably come assuming no major depression hits the area. But I think Sugarcreek will still seem somewhat rural because many of those home and land owners live in large, expensive homes on large, expensive lots, and they will probably see to it that any development on their side is strictly similar to what they have now. That and some people just don't like change. We have plenty of those folks in Greene County. Still, you are bound to probably see southern Beavercreek/Kettering/Centerville/Bellbrook merge in northern Sugarcreek Twp. first because its closer to the highway, smaller, and everyone is trying to annex their way in for development. It doesn't surprise me though that people are moving out to Xenia. Especially compared to home prices in above mentioned suburbs (I know they are low, but they seem high compared to the 1990's). Xenia is just the affordable first home option and that's the majority of what is being built.

Wow, that was probably longer than it needed to be. Hope someone finds some use of that.

Old 07-07-2007, 05:28 PM

147 posts, read 690,288 times
live in xenia if you like tornados
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio