U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2010, 07:55 AM

4 posts, read 7,582 times

Advertisements

I'm concerned about culture shock...lol
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 08:20 AM

4,033 posts, read 10,317,060 times
There are trees all over, especially the eastern half of Oklahoma county. What part of OKC are you moving to?

Old 06-21-2010, 08:51 AM

I'm not sure. We're looking into the Norman area but we want to live in the country. Noble? I have just started research so I'm unsure. Schools are another thing. We have one each in high school, middle school, and elementary school. Also, I'll be going to OU, hopefully. Thanks for your help!

Old 06-21-2010, 09:33 AM

I've never been to Noble so I can't tell you anything about it. I've been to Norman many times, but when I'm there in usually "in town". Not long ago however, DH and I went to a garden center that was located east/north east of Norman and Moore, some where around Lake Stanley Draper. It was a beautiful rural area. Lots of lovely homes. Very hilly and wooded. I am not really even sure what town we were in. OKC, Moore? Anyway it was a very pretty area, and I think you will be pleasantly surprised by what you see when you get here. I know most people have this vision of OK as being this place that is flat, dry and treeless, but that is not what you will find, especially in the eastern half of the state.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:29 AM

lol...my husband's family live in Mountain View (south of Weatherford), and we did too for 3 years....it is certainly flat, dry, and mostly treeless there...lol. I would like to avoid that. We're moving back to be closer to family (his, because mine in TN are non-participatory) for our children, but I'd like to replicate the positive things we have here as much as possible (rural, space to run & play, big trees to climb, etc). If you could find more info on the area you are referring to, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks!

Old 06-21-2010, 03:14 PM

5,522 posts, read 8,940,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btmartin97 View Post
lol...my husband's family live in Mountain View (south of Weatherford), and we did too for 3 years....it is certainly flat, dry, and mostly treeless there...lol. I would like to avoid that. We're moving back to be closer to family (his, because mine in TN are non-participatory) for our children, but I'd like to replicate the positive things we have here as much as possible (rural, space to run & play, big trees to climb, etc). If you could find more info on the area you are referring to, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks!
I can't really see you experiencing any culture-shock, especially if you're moving from a rural area to another rural area of Oklahoma.....with the exception of Oklahoma being a tad more "Cowboy" or Southwestern.

I've been to Nashville several times and it is very similar to OK City....so, even in the major cities, I don't think you'll think it's that much different.

Main Difference = no more rooting for the Vols....it's the SOONERS now!

Old 06-21-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
I can't really see you experiencing any culture-shock, especially if you're moving from a rural area to another rural area of Oklahoma.....with the exception of Oklahoma being a tad more "Cowboy" or Southwestern.

I've been to Nashville several times and it is very similar to OK City....so, even in the major cities, I don't think you'll think it's that much different.

Main Difference = no more rooting for the Vols....it's the SOONERS now!
I have to agree with Bass&Catfish. I find the two areas to be quite similar. Again, I will say, the further west you go, the more flat it will be, and less trees you will see. But the eastern side of Oklahoma county and is very green. I tried to find where exactly I was before, but I don't know exactly. As I said, I was down around Lake Stanley Draper. I looked at a map and all I can remember was that we were on Anderson Rd part of the time and also on Hiawasee part of the time. My suggestion is to find good realtor that specializes in that part of OKC, Moore or Norman. Sorry i can' t recommend one. I know a couple of good ones, but they specialize in Edmond and north OKC.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:02 PM

643 posts, read 1,694,132 times
There are a number of nice parts of the OKC area that have trees; at least trees that are what I would call, decent sized trees for this area. The Cottonwoods are especially stately but can wreak havoc on allergies and near the filters of AC units .. and pools, but in my opinion they are some of the prettiest in the area. They also are quite colourful in the fall if we have at least near normal moisture. One place that is nice for trees is the Crown Heights area just a little northwest of downtown OKC. The houses are nice, maybe a little pricey (200K bucks+) but their may be some cheaper. Alot of the neighbourhoods in the Norman area, especially just west of OU have nice trees too.

One thing to think about, generally the lower the land, the more fertile the soil, hence the bigger the trees... but the bigger chances of experiencing a flood too. Something to consider. Hope this helps some.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:56 PM

242 posts, read 735,149 times
Start anywhere along I-35 through the OKC metro and drive east- within 15 miles you will see the landscape change from plainsy grassland to hilly forest. We are located right on the edge of the Crosstimbers region. Actually the reason the city is in this location is because the railroad (which came before any city in the OKC metro) was built along the edge of the forest line where they didn't have to clear trees. So the Santa Fe RR tracks and I-35 more or less mark a boundary between forest and grassland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City