U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-20-2010, 08:52 PM

2 posts, read 3,842 times
Angry Help with Renters Rights !

My daughter rented an apt at Legacy Woods on 2nd Street in Edmond for her first year at UCO (Police Science/Forensics). We just moved her and roommate out to another apt in Eastern. The apt was in great shape except for carpet needed cleaning as they always do when someone moves out/in.

We just go in the mail a BILL for over $1000 stating that they had to REPLACE the carpet!!! She had 5 x 7 carpets over the original etc. Only a little dirty at entrance hallway.

This is telling me that they wanted a new carpet in that apt at our expense!! Im sure that this is what they do to everyone and I am very upset. I have called and left a msg requesting estimated damages in writing, pictures of damages, receipt of new carpet installed and I want a walk thru of apt with the new carpet. This is how these large apt complex's treat these college kids which know no better. Unfort. I do.

Question is: Does anyone know where I can find the OK law that states that the apt owners have the responsibility of wear and tear of carpet/painting etc. Obviously this is over the top on this one.

Upset Mom

Last edited by im409gal; 07-20-2010 at 08:54 PM.. Reason: add line
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 10:27 PM

1,665 posts, read 1,426,287 times
im409gal go after them! These apartment management folks try to act like your their best friend when you are looking at an apartment at their property. They stress how great they are about handling problems and how perfect life will be for you if you move in. Then anytime you do have a problem like hot water tank going out or leaking roof they act as if you are a pain in the A@@.

I moved out of an apartment in Tulsa and was expecting to get my deposit back, but just like you I got a bill for around $1100 for replacing carpet and pad. My roommate at the time worked of a carpet cleaning company, that carpet was a lot cleaner when we left than the way we found it when we moved in. They told me that even though I had cleaned it when I moved out that I had tracked in so much dirt and mud when I lived there that it ate away at the carpet and pad. I worked retail and the unit was on the third floor. So I never had mud or dirt on my shoes and even if I did after walking up all those stairs most dirt would have come off. And we keep our apartment very clean. They were full of BS!

I fought with them for over two months and they kept telling me they were going to take me to court to get the money. I finally wrote a letter to the BBB, and the management company responded back and said they the would drop forget the bill in my case but keep the deposit. Oh and they went on to say I could never rent from one of their properties again. What losers!

Old 07-22-2010, 01:01 AM

7 posts, read 17,877 times
Default Link to OK Landlord Tenant Statutes

Here is the link to the appropriate statutes:

http://www.ok.gov/OREC/documents/Lan...t%20Update.pdf

You will probably want to refer to sections 115 and 127.

The statutes don't specifically deal with damage exemption for "wear and tear"--I would recommend looking at the actual lease as well for that type of wording.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:28 AM

602 posts, read 1,203,105 times
Did the girls do a walk through with one of the staff upon moveout? If so, there should be a copy of any damage noted during the walk through. If the agent did not note anything on the move out sheet then you may have an argument. In the future, the best thing to do along with the walk through is to take pictures of all areas of the apartment should any dispute arise. I do know that Legacy Woods does require tenants to clean the carpets upon moveout or they charge a fee. If there happened to be a stain that could not be removed by cleaning then they are probably charging you to replace the whole room, as they are not the kind of place to simply patch the spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City