Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2010, 03:56 PM

3 posts, read 10,880 times

Advertisements

Howdy,

I'm moving from IA to OK in several weeks and I'm going to be working at the airport. I've been researching apartments in the area for about a month, and I might have some leads, but I still don't have a whole lot of feedback from actual residents. I didn't want to create yet another "Help me find a place" thread, but the majority of the input I've seen recommends living in Edmond, and I'm looking for a slightly shorter drive than that.

Other than Edmond, it seems like Mustang, Yukon, and Moore are the next most-recommended areas. The reviews I've read online shoot down most of the apartment complexes in the region (the dissatisfied folks might just be more inclined than the happy ones to say anything), but I know there have to be some solid ones there. I've never been to OKC or the surrounding towns, so I don't know how the city's laid out, but I'm looking for someplace safe that's close to retail (nothing fancy, just the quasi-basics like Target and Starbucks). It's just me, so I don't need to factor in school districts or anything like that.

Here are the complexes I'm currently considering, in the event anyone knows anything about 'em:
Bluff Creek
Boardwalk
Cambridge Landing
Chevy Chase
The Gables
The Links at Mustang Creek
Persimmon Square

Any assistance y'all could provide would be greatly appreciated!

-Baker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 08:34 PM

242 posts, read 765,178 times
Don't know anything about specific complexes, but it's pretty easy to get to the airport from Yukon/Mustang area, and both have good suburban chain shopping. Also a big outlet mall being built that way now.

You might also want to look at the Northwest Expressway area of Oklahoma City, around where Hefner Parkway meets NW Expressway and I-44. (Around NW EX and May). The area is affordable and more developed than the suburbs. Target and plenty of Starbucks along NW Expressway as well as the mall and many other big boxes.

Apartment-wise, I think Warwick West is nice, or at least it looks nice from the road. NW Expressway is a really convenient location- plenty of stuff in the immediate neighborhood, but also really convenient to all the routes into downtown or around the metro (to Will Rogers)

Old 08-05-2010, 10:14 AM

533 posts, read 1,711,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Baker View Post
Howdy,

I'm moving from IA to OK in several weeks and I'm going to be working at the airport. I've been researching apartments in the area for about a month, and I might have some leads, but I still don't have a whole lot of feedback from actual residents. I didn't want to create yet another "Help me find a place" thread, but the majority of the input I've seen recommends living in Edmond, and I'm looking for a slightly shorter drive than that.

Other than Edmond, it seems like Mustang, Yukon, and Moore are the next most-recommended areas. The reviews I've read online shoot down most of the apartment complexes in the region (the dissatisfied folks might just be more inclined than the happy ones to say anything), but I know there have to be some solid ones there. I've never been to OKC or the surrounding towns, so I don't know how the city's laid out, but I'm looking for someplace safe that's close to retail (nothing fancy, just the quasi-basics like Target and Starbucks). It's just me, so I don't need to factor in school districts or anything like that.

Here are the complexes I'm currently considering, in the event anyone knows anything about 'em:
Bluff Creek
Boardwalk
Cambridge Landing
Chevy Chase
The Gables
The Links at Mustang Creek
Persimmon Square

Any assistance y'all could provide would be greatly appreciated!

-Baker
You might try that Montclair Parc complex at 10900 S Penn. It is pretty close to the airport and there is grocery store and Panera bread and so on in an adjacent shopping center. Nice park to the south, too.

Don't know anything about it really but it looks pretty nice.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:26 PM

Thanks for the input! I'll see what I can find on the specified complexes and check out Northwest Expressway area to see what's around.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:06 PM

259 posts, read 1,072,903 times
I highly recommend the Links at Mustang Creek. We lived there 2 years ago before building with ideal homes. I loved the country feel to it, yet it was just 2 miles from I-40, 1/2 a mile from the turnpike (brings you to the northwest side and edmond). From where it's located (SW15th and Mustang Rd) you can take back roads to Will Rogers and it might take you 10-15mins to reach the airport. Or for a more direct route, it's easy to hop on I-40 and take 44 south to Airport Rd. Airport Rd goes directly into Mustang. There's not as many apts in Mustang but it's worth a look if you want the quickest commute to Will Rogers.

As far as the apts themselves go, they're newer and golf, gym, and pool are included in your rent. If you get an apt on the backside along the golf course, the view is so nice and peaceful. There's a creek that runs along the course, then farmland behind that. Late at night when it was quiet, we could hear cows mooing. I loved that!

If you need Target or Starbucks, it's just a few miles to the west in Yukon, off of I-40 and Garth Brooks.

Another idea, would be to look in South Oklahoma City and by that I mean south of I-240 btw 44 and 35. There's numerous newer apts down that way and the commute to Will Rogers wouldn't be bad at all (again maybe 15 mins).

Old 08-09-2010, 08:30 PM

The Links at Mustang Creek hit the top of my list early on, and I still haven't ruled it out. Assuming they've got something available when I'm looking to move in, I would basically have to choose between a nicer place with more room (The Links) or a smaller place that would save me some money.

One of the only real detractors for the Links is actually what you liked about it in regards to its country feel :P I'm more accustomed to city living, and I'm admittedly concerned that Yukon might feel a little too remote. Cedar Rapids, where I am now, feels small at 150K, and I was looking forward to being back in a larger city. Also, I'm hoping to end up close to a good church, and I'm not sure what kind of variety exists in a town that size. As with my towns, I like my churches somewhat large and contemporary. (Gosh, I'm picky - sorry!)

Your recommendation is definitely valued, and I'm giving the complex another hard look before making a final decision. Thanks for chiming in

Old 08-10-2010, 05:38 AM

468 posts, read 1,542,184 times
Years ago I rented a one bedroom apartment on S.W. 59th St between Penn and May. It was called Richard's Regal Apartments. It's a group of about 8 apartments.

The area was really run down back then. But, the apartments were quiet and nobody ever messed with my truck in the parking lot. I think the rent was something like $200 a month.

That area would be really close to the airport, and to all the shopping that you'd need.

I drove by that area a few months ago and it has really changed. New stores. The area is "cleaner". And, the apartments still exist.

Wouldn't hurt to check them out.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:44 AM

259 posts, read 1,072,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Baker View Post
The Links at Mustang Creek hit the top of my list early on, and I still haven't ruled it out. Assuming they've got something available when I'm looking to move in, I would basically have to choose between a nicer place with more room (The Links) or a smaller place that would save me some money.

One of the only real detractors for the Links is actually what you liked about it in regards to its country feel :P I'm more accustomed to city living, and I'm admittedly concerned that Yukon might feel a little too remote. Cedar Rapids, where I am now, feels small at 150K, and I was looking forward to being back in a larger city. Also, I'm hoping to end up close to a good church, and I'm not sure what kind of variety exists in a town that size. As with my towns, I like my churches somewhat large and contemporary. (Gosh, I'm picky - sorry!)

Your recommendation is definitely valued, and I'm giving the complex another hard look before making a final decision. Thanks for chiming in
I understand the want for city life. I enjoy the country but I get bored out here. I'd love to live somewhere that I can walk to restaurants, bike, etc.
Check out midtown renaissance Midtown Renaissance OKC - Oklahoma City Commercial, Residential and Retail Properties (http://www.midtownr.com/View.aspx?type=res - broken link) if you're wanting something in an up and coming area of Okc. The commute to the airport wouldn't be bad since you'd be going opposite of traffic in and out of downtown. Traffic here isn't bad at all though, so at the most, you're commute would be 30 mins.
I've also lived on the nw side of town. Rent is most definitely cheaper up that way. You are also much closer to retail, restaurants, etc. There's a lot of apts along MacArthur, north of NW exp that are nice and inexpensive. Plus having Lake Hefner to run or ride at is a huge plus.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:03 PM

1 posts, read 3,016 times
I'm looking for a place to stay at for three months while I'm in OKC for training with the FAA. Looking to save some of my per diem in order to pay for a rental car while I'm there. Suggestions of any nice and safe place and close to Will Rogers airport?

Old 12-23-2011, 05:38 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
Lived in OKCity many years, but, needed to lease an apartment briefly because my son was living in my home 20 years ago while I was in Europe and I came home earlier than promised. You mention Chevy Chase. That's where I leased an apartment for 6 months, back then. Bathrooms are back to back to the next apartment and I could hear the activities by my neighbors. I also didn't like it that
whomever took care of things so often came into my apartment when I was gone. If he made a mess, he cleaned it up with my paper towels and just left them wadded up on the countertop. I never called for anything to be fixed, so, didn't know how he knew to do anything or if anything needed to be done. I was ill and didn't feel up to talking to anyone about it. My experience with hearing noises from next door caused me to always check on such things in future.
There are so many nice apartment complexes in and around the city. You're right, Edmond is way too far and Moore is farther than you need to be, imo. Maybe some of the places you've listed are in the vicinity of S. Meridian and W Reno... very near the airport and a lot of restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City