Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 09:36 AM

174 posts, read 450,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Frankly, after reading this thread, I don't know that anywhere is a good fit for you...........it isn't the cities though, it is your goals........it is you. Frankly I don't give a s### where you move, I can easily do without another neighbor. But I smile when I hear folks say they don't like Oklahoma.....reminds me of my kids when they would say "yuck, I don't want to eat that" .......great, leaves more for me.........

Seriously though, I've lived all over the world as well. And I found out that if I can be happy somewhere, I can be happy anywhere. When I lived in Montreal I learned to enjoy the second floor walk up....along with the brasserie down the street and the small markets on every block. When I lived in NYC I learned to enjoy what was available (and yes, things I love were not available). When I lived outside of Taos, I was probably the closest to heaven I'll ever be.....I spent weeks and months in the mountains on a good horse (one of my best friends).....waking up at dawn, icy cold water in the stream, hot coffee, an eagle flying overhead........could never get something like that in NYC or Montreal or Athens.

OKC, like anywhere else, has lots of unique and fun things about it. P town has a lot of fun and unique things about it. They are different. The only thing I found the same in both cities, when I was there, was me. I had to be happy within myself, the city couldn't do it for me.

So, how about a little self discovery? Figure out what sort of things you need to make yourself happy. Then go to where you can find them. It might be OKC, it may be Corpus Christi, it may be Kingston, Hilo, it may be Nome............where ever it is, the one common element will be you. And I think it is YOU that has to be dealt with before you find a place you are happy.

That really sucks, but you might trim your lifestyle and get a call center job. Keep the wolf from the door and spend time growing into who you want yourself to be.
Some good advice here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 02:11 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,252,019 times
Quote:
Frankly, after reading this thread, I don't know that anywhere is a good fit for you...........it isn't the cities though, it is your goals........it is you. Frankly I don't give a s### where you move, I can easily do without another neighbor. But I smile when I hear folks say they don't like Oklahoma.....reminds me of my kids when they would say "yuck, I don't want to eat that" .......great, leaves more for me.........

Seriously though, I've lived all over the world as well. And I found out that if I can be happy somewhere, I can be happy anywhere. When I lived in Montreal I learned to enjoy the second floor walk up....along with the brasserie down the street and the small markets on every block. When I lived in NYC I learned to enjoy what was available (and yes, things I love were not available). When I lived outside of Taos, I was probably the closest to heaven I'll ever be.....I spent weeks and months in the mountains on a good horse (one of my best friends).....waking up at dawn, icy cold water in the stream, hot coffee, an eagle flying overhead........could never get something like that in NYC or Montreal or Athens.

OKC, like anywhere else, has lots of unique and fun things about it. P town has a lot of fun and unique things about it. They are different. The only thing I found the same in both cities, when I was there, was me. I had to be happy within myself, the city couldn't do it for me.

So, how about a little self discovery? Figure out what sort of things you need to make yourself happy. Then go to where you can find them. It might be OKC, it may be Corpus Christi, it may be Kingston, Hilo, it may be Nome............where ever it is, the one common element will be you. And I think it is YOU that has to be dealt with before you find a place you are happy.

That really sucks, but you might trim your lifestyle and get a call center job. Keep the wolf from the door and spend time growing into who you want yourself to be.
Wow, best post on this thread!

Old 09-01-2010, 03:50 PM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,225,411 times
Quote:

So, I see why people who recommended not moving there sent me private messages instead of posting on the forum. Jesus. It's not a good fit for me. Move on. I never bashed OKC and so many people are getting so defensive. What do you want? Good things? Fine. Compared to where I live now, the air was cleaner, traffic was lighter, it wasn't as noisy, the weather was much more pleasant, it was a lot greener, there was a pleasant smell in the air (it was something natural, but I don't know what it was), the airport wasn't nearly as frustrating...

I know there are things I wouldn't like in every city, as well as things I do. I wouldn't like the Big Brother atmosphere, expense and frequent demonstrations/street closures in Washington, but I would like the walkability, dining and public transit. I wouldn't like the earthquakes, high costs and hipster scene in San Francisco, but I would like the beauty, diversity and amenities it offers. I want to weigh pros versus cons that matter to me and both these cities would be good fits for me, though based on the 180 this forum took when I had further questions after returning it appears OKC is definitely not a fit. Though few of those follow-up questions were answered. In any case, I never said I "don't like" Oklahoma, I just don't think it would be a good place for me to live in. If you hate ambient crappy jobs, extended periods (months) of extreme heat, little diversity in the weather, extreme sprawl and heavy traffic... I'd say Phoenix wouldn't be a good fit for you. No harm, no foul. My parents hated it here, my friend from New York hated it there, my friend's dad lived in Vegas and hated it there. They all have their reasons: there was something those cities either had or lacked that made them not want to be there.

I know what I want: I posted it in the opening post and after trying really hard to observe things while I was just there, I had additional questions. I have this paper full of notes in my backpack I took with me so I could try to visit some places people mentioned, but I just couldn't get out to experience them without my car.

I just worked at a call center and won't do it again. I think I can still make it work without resorting to that. I don't want more work experience in something I don't want to do the rest of my life. I'll take something in Phoenix if I must, but I do enjoy having my schedule clear to get to interviews out of state. I mean, three weeks today I'm going to LA to check out an opportunity. I couldn't do that if I had an obligation (i.e. job) here. In any case, I did grow/learn from that job: that's not at all what I wanted to do with my life and once I graduated I started looking for work elsewhere, but I didn't start looking for work out of state until somewhat recently.

Old 09-04-2010, 01:36 PM

1,586 posts, read 6,758,436 times
wow. so expected. okc sucks......

it has become really silly regarding all the anger towards a city that has had so many improvements its become ridiculous. No one from okc truly responds on this forum unless their pissed off or something stupid. Go ahead and hate okc all you want but this cowtown is actually getting a lot of national and world wide exposure believe it or not for the better. no need to go over what is happening here bc i would rather keep it a great secret esp in regards to my business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City