Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2010, 12:23 PM

22 posts, read 67,930 times

Advertisements

We are looking to possibly move in the spring to OKC and someone mentioned Heritage Hills as an area. We are looking at Edmond currently. Any thoughts on Heritage Hills? Where is that located in OKC- schools and area around there- what's it like? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 12:38 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,481,548 times
HH is north of downtown between N 13th and N 22nd Streets. It's a nice, older neighborhood, but I think everyone there sends there kids to private schools, because the OKC school district isn't very good.

With kids, (and depending one which part of the city you will be commuting to), I recommend either Edmond (if you work north city) or far South OKC in the Moore school district, (but still technically in OKC) if you work south. Both have excellent schools and excellent housing, depending on your range.

Moore is a little closer to downtown, and borders Norman for the University. Edmond is a little bigger than Moore, and a little more upscale. (Although there are $1M neighborhoods in both locations.)

Old 09-08-2010, 01:29 PM

533 posts, read 1,704,558 times
Heritage Hills is a really nice area of older homes. It is an historical preservation district.
The web: Historical Preservation, Inc.

Public schools are definitely a disadvantage. I tried to buy a home there once a long time ago but my kids were in private schools. Had that not been true I would not have considered the area.

The area itself is rather small and you don't have to go too far to find some pretty transitional boundaries.

If you've never lived in an old home before then you should prepare yourself for a lot of issues. It is more of an expensive calling than anything else as there is always something requiring work.

Here is a good link to photos: http://www.heritagehills.org/hh/Heri...1/Default.aspx

Last edited by flintysooner; 09-08-2010 at 01:30 PM.. Reason: added photos link

Old 09-08-2010, 04:36 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,716,003 times
Heritage Hills is absolutely beautiful. I would love to live in one of those homes, but as previous posters mentioned, schools were a problem. The homes are very expensive to begin with and when you add in the cost of private schools, and maintaining one of those beauties, it was just more than we could swing. And as Flintysooner mentioned you don't have to go very far before you are in some very sketchy areas. DH actually jogs up through HH and then turns around and runs back to downtown every day on his lunch hour . Along his route he also runs past a soup kitchen, where a homeless guy once threatened to kill him and also passes some kind of halfway house for men recently released from prison. So, think about this, my 50+ year old husband whose running speed in barely more than an brisk walk, makes it through both areas, coming and going during a 50 minute jog. For me personally, that's just a bit too close to things I don't really choose to live close to.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:24 PM

Default Thanks...

Thanks all for the quick response... Good point on the sketchy areas- I would prefer a gated area if I were living in that area. We are still leaning towards Edmond, but thought we would check a couple of other areas. Thanks again-

Old 09-08-2010, 06:32 PM

533 posts, read 1,704,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmomoc View Post
...I would prefer a gated area...
All these gated areas that have sprung up over the last few years have an unknown future liability, namely the maintenance of streets and other infrastructure elements.

It certainly isn't my intention to cause you any inordinate concern but many people simply do not understand the liability that is assumed with buying a home in a gated community.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:42 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,716,003 times
As for the gated areas, I find them quite funny, especially here. The only ones I can think of are in areas where you don't really need a gated community, such as Edmond and Norman. The only one I can think of that actually has a manned gate is at Oak Tree Country Club. All of the others are unmanned electronic gates that are left open during the morning and evening. And you can piggy back with another car and go right through any other time.

Another problem with HH too is that it's really far to much decent shopping and stuff as well. There are some good restrauants in the area though.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:26 AM

778 posts, read 2,312,912 times
I may be responding to this thread a little late, but I currently live about 2 blocks south of Heritage Hills in Midtown, but I always go jogging in that (and nearby Mesta Park) and know several people that live in both. It is truly an wonderful area. Some of OKC's most prominent citizens live in this area, and its only getting better. If you live in downtown you are a 5 minute jaunt straight down Harvey Avenue. And the shopping and restaraunt choices have realy improved lately with the rise of Midtown (one caveat: you will probably have to drive to find a good grocer).

One negative as has already been mentioned: the schools. The local elementary school that serves this area (I can't recall the name) is highly regarded, but most families I know send their kids to Heritage Hall, Casady, McGuiness, or some other private school for secondary education.

If youir looking at Edmond and want the same kind of upscale type housing in Heritage Hills, I would try Fairvew Farms, Oak Tree, Coffee Creek, Gaillardia, and Mullholland (although the last 2 are technically in OKC).

Old 09-15-2010, 11:29 PM

Default Great info...

This is all great info and very much appreciated. We will definitely check the areas you mention in Edmond out. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City