Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 11:44 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,762,350 times

Advertisements

I agree I would be looking to the east. I think it would be cheaper and it's definitely prettier than west of the city. You might want to look up north, around Guthrie, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 02:24 PM

13 posts, read 20,165 times
Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. I love my farm and farm life but cannot make it here ( Missouri ozarks) with no work for my wife and me. Of course i know things are tough all over....but we are willing to work and just want peace and quiet with a little land to ride on....a small house and big barn.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:43 AM

653 posts, read 1,786,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rericha View Post
Were looking for a small town (maybe 7000 or more) with a good quality of life, access to jobs, decent schools & a nice community, we would need to have some land for our horses too.

We love where we live now but want to get out of Southern California, the town we live in is western themed & people ride their horses everywhere, horse events in town & there are horse trails instead of side walks through the whole city.

Is there anywhere kinda like this?
Rericha: Come check out Piedmont.. Californian's and any other law abiding, tax paying, honest citizens or for that matter anyone who is here legally or at least making an honest attempt at legal residency is welcome here in Piedmont. Regardless of what Stiffnecked and other people with cynical and biased attitudes may abound here on CD.. the main consensus with folks here in Piedmont and for that matter most Oklahomans, is that we'll welcome you with open arms. I've lived in this community pretty much since 1996 and the anti Californian or "damn yankee" attitudes are few and far between. Piedmont's real estate prices average about 175K for 5 acres with a 3 bed/2bath home. Some are cheaper. A typical commute into OKC is about 20-30 minutes and OKC is becoming one of the nicer cities I've seen in this country.

We have a good school system here and several good churches if your interested in the Piedmont area. Real estate prices have actually remained mostly steady during this recession and infact, Oklahoma is one of the highest ranked states for finding employment and cost of living is considerably cheaper as you may know. My only complaint (which is to me pretty major) is.. I hope you like hot dry summers. Also, you'll have to deal with the occasional tornado or two which are most common in the spring. The warning system for severe weather is second to none so you'll have time to prepare in the event that severe weather is about to occur. As for the heat, I for one detest it which is a big reason I want to move back north. Other than that, people are some of the friendliest in the country.

Other places to look into that are great horse friendly towns are as mentioned, Mustang, the west and south sides of Yukon and if you don't mind a 45 minute commute to the city, look into Kingfisher, they have about 4000 people population and is also a nice place to settle. Guthrie is another place to look into and is also about a 40 minute drive to downtown OKC. Another place to look into is NewCastle which is southwest of OKC and Choctaw to the east. Both of those places have easy access to the city and have plenty of horse properties.

Again, don't worry about other people's attitudes on here or what you may hear otherwise.. it's not the norm and I truly think you'll be happy here. Heck, we'll even throw in an occasional earthquake or two just to make you feel at home as well!

Old 12-05-2011, 02:26 PM

13 posts, read 20,165 times
Default Where should we move? need good quality of life and horseproperty

Thanks...it is a bit intimidating to move from a town of 10,000 to a town of 500,000, where we know no one.....and the commute is not something I will enjoy, but I think we will find friends...

Old 12-08-2011, 01:12 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
I agree I would be looking to the east. I think it would be cheaper and it's definitely prettier than west of the city. You might want to look up north, around Guthrie, as well.
Yes, along Highway 105, east of Guthrie, is some attractive ranch country. Don't know what's for sale or to rent. If one likes horse shows, then some are held at the Payne County Fairgrounds every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City