Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 04:10 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times

Advertisements

I kept hearing about this. So on my last trip there I went and looked. It is flat ugly. It's a rock lined canal with no heart, soul, or character. Trash scattered all up and down the bank. Saw this much hyped boat. It had the total sum of 3 passangers on it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 09:14 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,252,019 times
The river/ditch really needs some serious landscaping to make it look more natural. Right now it looks like an industrial canal. Surprised that OKC didn't look at what Tulsa And Wichita have done with their rivers.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:08 PM

498 posts, read 1,606,394 times
Tulsa didn't do anything with its river. It is a natural river. Same with Wichita.

Stiffnecked, let me give you a little history on the Oklahoma River. Formerly called the North Canadian River, it wound and twisted through the heart of Oklahoma City prior to the 1950s. Nestled in trees, it was a beautiful river. But there was a problem. Oklahoma City continuously dealt with major floods from the river, the worst being 1923, and so the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers was given the task of solving the flooding problem.

So, they re-routed a seven-mile stretch of river, straightened the channel and eliminated the flooding problem. Unfortunately, it left a lifeless man-made channel until MAPS.

MAPS, Oklahoma City's first capital improvements project, provided funding for three dams to be built along the river, creating a series of "river-lakes". The channel was lined with rocks to prevent erosion. Thousands of saplings were planted along the river and trials were paved for biking and running.

The river you just complained about is now a U.S. Olympic training venue for the U.S. rowing team. The venue is located at the east end of the river, where two architecturally striking boathouses have been built.

However, you do bring up a valid point. Reviving the natural beauty along Oklahoma City's river will take years, but it is happening. Much of the riverside has also been set aside for commercial and residential development, which will kick off after I-40's new route opens in 2012.

The boats are not popular right now, because the river's master plan is in the maturing stages. But, the city wanted the boats in place now instead of later so that when the river's natural beauty is fully restored and development takes off, the infrastructure will already be in place to begin meeting a rising demand.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcpulse View Post
However, you do bring up a valid point. Reviving the natural beauty along Oklahoma City's river will take years, but it is happening. Much of the riverside has also been set aside for commercial and residential development, which will kick off after I-40's new route opens in 2012.
That really sucks then. If you want a "natural" river running through your town as some kind of center piece attraction then it should remain undeveloped and unspoiled. I think that just goes to show that your city leaders are not very forward thinking. That just reinforces that whole concept that they turned the North Canadian River into an industrial canal. Not anything to be proud about.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:03 AM

2,572 posts, read 4,252,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcpulse View Post
Tulsa didn't do anything with its river. It is a natural river. Same with Wichita.
Tulsa didn't do anything with its river? Have you ever been to Tulsa's River Parks? Tulsa Built a low water dam and converted the old Midland Valley railroad bridge into a pedestrian bridge which is kind of the centerpiece of the river park system. Tulsa has planted and landscaped all along the river from downtown all the way to Jenks. Zink lake was created from the low water dam as well as a great trail system that has been recently enhance by the Kaiser Foundation. (BOK)

And the same pretty much goes of Wichita. The landscaping is incredible. Wichita has poured millions into their river park system and like Tulsa is looks great.

Maybe its too early to comment on the Oklahoma River, give it a few years for trees and landscaping to develop.

Old 11-12-2010, 04:54 PM

259 posts, read 1,072,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
Tulsa didn't do anything with its river? Have you ever been to Tulsa's River Parks? Tulsa Built a low water dam and converted the old Midland Valley railroad bridge into a pedestrian bridge which is kind of the centerpiece of the river park system. Tulsa has planted and landscaped all along the river from downtown all the way to Jenks. Zink lake was created from the low water dam as well as a great trail system that has been recently enhance by the Kaiser Foundation. (BOK)

And the same pretty much goes of Wichita. The landscaping is incredible. Wichita has poured millions into their river park system and like Tulsa is looks great.

Maybe its too early to comment on the Oklahoma River, give it a few years for trees and landscaping to develop.
I agree, the Oklahoma River is still an "infant" in terms of beautification and development. Trees don't sprout up overnight...it's going to take decades of growth for it to look "natural" and part of the landscape.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery'sMommy View Post
I agree, the Oklahoma River is still an "infant" in terms of beautification and development. Trees don't sprout up overnight...it's going to take decades of growth for it to look "natural" and part of the landscape.
It will never, ever look natural. They raped the banks of the river when they put all that industrial looking rock along it. The only thing that stuff will ever grow is more beer cans and bottles. Trees and vegetation will never grow along it. It's always gonna be a canal.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:50 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
I kept hearing about this. So on my last trip there I went and looked. It is flat ugly. It's a rock lined canal with no heart, soul, or character. Trash scattered all up and down the bank. Saw this much hyped boat. It had the total sum of 3 passangers on it.
One's perceptions are colored more by what's behind the eyes, than what is in front of them.

I don't see "flat" topography as ugly. That is the primary contours of the southern plains. It is rock lined to prevent erosion. Trash in a major city? Say it ain't so! A "much hyped" boat... LOL! It is a boat, not a much hyped boat. But for your editorial purposes, we will let you feel it is "much hyped." As for not having any heart, soul, or character, well, it's like a Rorschach test.

Where one sees beauty, another sees what stiffy sees.

Thanks, stiffnecked. Where to next? Niagara Falls? All that water going to waste, just pouring over those stupid rocks.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
One's perceptions are colored more by what's behind the eyes, than what is in front of them.
I saw the North Canadian River long, long, long before they came in and turned it into an ugly canal. It's ugly. As for the trash. Oklahoma is one of the trashiest states in the country. It's everywhere. You want pics of that too next time I visit? Maybe you otta head down to the Oklahoma Canal and see how many trash bags you can fill up.

If they would have kept it in its natural state and just cleaned all the trash out of it it might be something to look at. This all started out as all that "String of Pearls" concept way back in the day. To bad they botched it up.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:39 AM

1,586 posts, read 6,758,436 times
[quote=stiffnecked;16622103] I think that just goes to show that your city leaders are not very forward thinking. QUOTE]

WOW-Its really obvious that you know nothing about OKC. You have some kind of personal issue with the city. Pathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City