U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-05-2011, 01:49 PM

237 posts, read 402,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ou_norman View Post
I'm so glad you're keeping your native language as a part of your family tradition. I'm not even hispanic and plan to raise my eventual children bilingually in Spanish and English. It's so important to respect linguistic traditions, only wish we would have had the same knowledge before our native languages were nearly wiped to extinction.
Thank you , thank you, THANK YOU! It is really neat to speak two languages and to teach your kids to do the same, I always see language as a key that opens the door to new and fascinating cultures. Each language actually is a world unto itself. Sociology has a term called "the Sapir Whorf hypothesis" which basically sums up that thought, that speakers tend to think and behave differently depending on the language they use. I know personally that when I am amidst a Spanish-speaking crowd I am a LOT more outgoing while speaking Spanish than I am speaking English. Especially if I've had a few shots of tequila beforehand.

Thanks a lot for the advice on the grocery stores as well, that is very good to know. We are very multi-cultural and love stuff from all over the place. We had some neighbors from Turkey here who were always making us Turkish food (so delicious!!) so we always stock dried mint and other stuff in our cabinets, along with Jasmine tea, etc.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 03:57 PM

333 posts, read 517,600 times
Like ou_norman, I also vouch for Super Cao Nguyen. During my year in OKC, it was my go-to place for ingredients and produce. They rock. It's an Asian supermarket, but they carry Middle Eastern and Latino foods, as well (in fact, it's a good place to get a fresh churro on weekend mornings--not to mention a coconut waffle to go with it).

Old 02-28-2011, 09:36 PM

155 posts, read 205,255 times
Does the area around the University of Central Oklahoma have a college town feel?

Old 02-28-2011, 10:42 PM

4,208 posts, read 3,840,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb05f View Post
Does the area around the University of Central Oklahoma have a college town feel?
Not really. I've spent a lot of time on just about every college campus in Oklahoma.......and Edmond doesn't really give off the college vibe. You'll have to go to Stillwater or Norman for that.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:57 AM

4,016 posts, read 4,799,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb05f View Post
Unfortunately, no. While there are some dorms on campus and student housing around the general area, too many of the UCO students are commuters, to have a college town feel. I wish it did.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:30 AM

10 posts, read 34,130 times
Default From Wichita to Edmund-Special Ed?

Hello,
My husband is looking into Boeing and we are contemplating Edmund OK.
We have a 10 yr old daughter who is autistic.
Would anyone know about how are the public schools for special ed? Any one specific school?
Pls help,

Urvashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
Welcome to Oklahoma. It's a really great place.

We moved to Edmond, not far from UCO, a few years ago from Houston, and we really enjoy it here. Compared to suburban Houston, we find the overall cost of living a bit less. The cost of purchasing a home was a bit more, but all the other costs seem to be a bit less. We have found utilities to be less here, for sure. I have heard that Edmond's electric rates are better than those in OKC, but I don't know if that is true or not. Electricity is actually provided by the city, not a separate utility company. It's included in the same bill with your water, sewer and garbage collection. I found that kind of weird and a bit shocking when I got the bill. I knew it was that way, but seeing the water and electric all in one bill was a bit of sticker shock at first. Also, the sales tax rate in Edmond is a bit lower than in other areas of OKC. Edmond is 7.75% and OKC is 8.375%. And keep in mind, you pay sales tax on everything here, even groceries, so it will add up over time.

There are lots of opportunities for running, etc outside. Mitch Park is the largest park in town and has several miles of running/walking paths, as well as other outdoor activities such as disc golf. There is a pretty active biking community in the area as well. No, Edmond, or OKC do not have the much going on as San Antonio, but it's not as big either. However, there are always things to do. The beauty of living here is that its easy to get around, and even if you live in Edmond, its not a big deal to go to downtown OKC/Bricktown for dinner, a basketball game or concert. There is a large AMC movie theater nearby at Quail Springs Mall, as well as a small theater very near UCO in Kickingbird Plaza. Also, there is a Tinseltown just a few miles away in OKC, which is where we usually go, even though Kickingbird is about a mile from our house.

Grocery stores are my biggest complaint about living here. There are no national chains here, other than Walmart and SuperTarget. In Edmond there are a couple of local chains, Homeland and Crest. Crest is as close as you will get to an HEB here in OKC. It's not as good, but its much better than any of the other options. The only one in Edmond is several miles away my house, so I only go there when I need to buy a lot. Homeland is the closest store in the UCO area, and nearest to my house. I hate that store, and will only go there if I'm in a bind. There is also a Walmart Neighborhood Market adjacent to UCO, which is where I shop occasionally. There are just some things I can't find anywhere here, so when we go visit our son, whose in college in Texas, we always go to HEB and stock up on certain things. Luckily, OKC is getting a Whole Foods, which is under construction. Unfortunately, it's not close enough to Edmond to make it a viable option for regular shopping.

The only other thing we really miss is not being able to find decent TexMex, so eat up before you move. All the locals here recommend places to us, but none of them measure up to real TexMex, especially to what you have in SA. My husband always laughs when people transfer in to his office from Texas, because that's one of the first things they ask about. All of the Okies suggest all the different places, then all the Texas transplants just laugh and tell them the nearest decent TexMex is in Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City