U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-10-2011, 12:45 AM

2 posts, read 3,083 times
Default Moving to OKC from San Francisco

Hey everyone. I'm a 25 year old moving from san Francisco bay area (California) to Oklahoma City hopefully in the next month or so. I'm moving because I have an opportunity to work as a nurse at OU Medical. I'm looking to rent an apartment, hopefully close by to the hospital, but am not sure what neighborhoods are safe.

I am very used to the busy city life and enjoy it very much. I would rather not live near busy college areas. I'm more concerned in living in a safe neighborhood and I wouldn't mind commuting. Any suggestions would help! Thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 06:47 AM

498 posts, read 921,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcab View Post
Hey everyone. I'm a 25 year old moving from san Francisco bay area (California) to Oklahoma City hopefully in the next month or so. I'm moving because I have an opportunity to work as a nurse at OU Medical. I'm looking to rent an apartment, hopefully close by to the hospital, but am not sure what neighborhoods are safe.

I am very used to the busy city life and enjoy it very much. I would rather not live near busy college areas. I'm more concerned in living in a safe neighborhood and I wouldn't mind commuting. Any suggestions would help! Thank you!
There are some new apartments a few miles north of OU Medical Center on Lincoln Blvd near I-44. It is a pretty safe area. However, I would also recommend apartments in and around downtown OKC (Deep Deuce, Legacy Summit @ Arts Central) or Warwick West on Northwest Expressway. All are within a short commute to OU Medical Center. There are a plethora of options in northwest Oklahoma City north of Lake Hefner. The average commute is 20-30 minutes via Lake Hefner Parkway, or you can take the Kilpatrick Turnpike to Broadway Extension which is just as quick.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:56 AM

259 posts, read 655,557 times
WOW SF to OKC is a major move...in terms of cultural, weather, landscape, etc.
You say that you enjoy the busy city life and I'm warning you that downtown Okc isn't all that bustling. Bricktown gets it's fair share of traffic but it's pretty quiet on weekdays.
So like okcpulse has said, the apts downtown are probably your best bet. Downtown OKC > Home
The area is constantly changing so be prepared for lots of construction and less basic amenities (no grocery stores downtown and not much retail).
Also look at Midtown Renaissance residential properties-http://midtownr.com/. I'm not sure what the rental rates are, but they're located in the type of area I think you'd enjoy- plus very easy commute to OU medical.

Lake Henfer is another option if you don't mind a 20 min commute (maybe more in traffic but traffic here is minimal compared to the west coast). There's plenty of safe apts and the lake is great for biking/running if that's your thing. Plus you will be much closer to groceries/shopping out there. Not walkable though, so expect to drive for every little errand you run. (Very few suburban commercial areas have sidewalks).

Here's some districts to check out for unique shops, art galleries, coffee, and local restaurants.
The Paseo Arts District
The Plaza District - Oklahoma City
Midtown Oklahoma City
LOVE this area: AutomobileAlley > Home
Trendy Third

Old 01-10-2011, 05:29 PM

242 posts, read 406,639 times
You should come visit some areas. I would recommend Midtown or Deep Deuce for the best urban life, but be aware that you will be an urban pioneer, since there are only about 2,000 residential units downtown (quickly growing). The most affordable downtown apartments are hard to get into (waiting lists are normal), but if you are used to SF rental rates you may be willing to pay more in OKC. Downtown is generally $800/mo+ while the suburbs are $500+.

There are more apartments about to break ground downtown, so you would maybe want to contact them to get on waiting lists before they are built if you are interested in living downtown (Urban Apartments | Level Urban Apartments). Also check Midtown Renaissance which emery listed above, they have a lot of small loft properties. A lot of young people at the Medical Center live in the Lincoln Renaissance, a very nice new complex with a short commute by car. It's a suburban style complex, but since there are many students and young people living there with good common areas, I think it has an active atmosphere. It is really popular with people who are on waiting lists trying to get downtown.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:36 PM

46 posts, read 99,578 times
I would also recommend Midtown or Deep Deuce area.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:55 PM

409 posts, read 499,666 times
SF to OKC.... wow
I just moved from Orinda to Norman (suburb of OKC, where OU main campus is) 5 months ago. I am still learning new things about the area but the first thing you are going to notice, or I did, is thatthe grocery stores are absolutely horrible. A Safeway would be a godsend here. Forget trader joes or whole foods! You will be stuck with Homeland, Target and Walmart groceries. (apparently they are building a new (first) whole foods in OKC).

Stuff is waaaaaay cheaper out here. I love the fact that you can get a gallon of milk (or gas) waaaay cheaper than back in The City. They love strip malls and chain restaurants but overall Restaurants here are pretty good. It's a pretty cool little city and I loooove the weather. Not nearly as boring as foggy SF I am here for the excellent meteorology program at OU. Hope you are not too liberal leaning as most here hate Obama and I have yet to see an openly gay couple here in ALL of OKC metro. There is really good BBQ here also. Oh yeah, you haven't seen flat yet. The central valley is not as flat as it is in OKC. Once you get towards Tulsa it gets a but more hilly. (They have a whole foods in Tulsa, yes I made a special trip out there.)

Can't help you with apartments but things are waaay cheaper out here and take advantage of that. Oh yeah one more thing, there is no such thing as merging here. Everybody just comes to a screeching halt when you are trying to pick up speed when entering a freeway.

Old 01-16-2011, 05:32 PM

498 posts, read 921,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachj7 View Post
SF to OKC.... wow
I just moved from Orinda to Norman (suburb of OKC, where OU main campus is) 5 months ago. I am still learning new things about the area but the first thing you are going to notice, or I did, is thatthe grocery stores are absolutely horrible. A Safeway would be a godsend here. Forget trader joes or whole foods! You will be stuck with Homeland, Target and Walmart groceries. (apparently they are building a new (first) whole foods in OKC).

Stuff is waaaaaay cheaper out here. I love the fact that you can get a gallon of milk (or gas) waaaay cheaper than back in The City. They love strip malls and chain restaurants but overall Restaurants here are pretty good. It's a pretty cool little city and I loooove the weather. Not nearly as boring as foggy SF I am here for the excellent meteorology program at OU. Hope you are not too liberal leaning as most here hate Obama and I have yet to see an openly gay couple here in ALL of OKC metro. There is really good BBQ here also. Oh yeah, you haven't seen flat yet. The central valley is not as flat as it is in OKC. Once you get towards Tulsa it gets a but more hilly. (They have a whole foods in Tulsa, yes I made a special trip out there.)

Can't help you with apartments but things are waaay cheaper out here and take advantage of that. Oh yeah one more thing, there is no such thing as merging here. Everybody just comes to a screeching halt when you are trying to pick up speed when entering a freeway.
You might want to try Crest Frest Market in far south OKC, not far from Norman. I hear great things about it, as Crest is a much better grocery store than Crapland and walmart. I believe once Whole Foods opens and Crest beefs up the competition in nice grocery stores, Crapland and Walmart will be given a run for there money. I am behind the push to get wine in grocery stores in Oklahoma.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:33 PM

409 posts, read 499,666 times
I will have to check out that crest. thanks! Maybe after whole foods is successful, Trader Joes will try OKC out.
I reread my post and it didn't look all that pretty. OP, OKC is a lot different, takes some getting used to, but all in all it's a pretty nice place. They are building this tall tower much much taller than any other skyscraper right in downtown which will all be glass. looks pretty cool! Good luck in your appartment search!

Old 01-17-2011, 12:10 PM

5 posts, read 14,372 times
As others have mentioned, definitely check out the neighbors in and around downtown & midtown. You'll find they're safe and pretty convenient for commuting. They're also building a new streetcar system in that area, so that will be very nice for residents once it comes online.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:20 PM

2,520 posts, read 2,151,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachj7 View Post
SF to OKC.... wow
Oh yeah, you haven't seen flat yet. The central valley is not as flat as it is in OKC.
Norman to OKC is in a flood plain between the two rivers. That is why it is flat there, but if you go east out of OKC it is not flat and very wooded. You need to get on HWY 9 east and go out to say 120th street (preferably on a bike or on foot). Go south and come back and tell me how "flat" it is. It isn't San Fransisco but it isn't Merced either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City