U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Traffic In Oklahoma City, Has It Gotten
Better 6 17.65%
The Same 14 41.18%
Worse 14 41.18%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Unread 04-26-2012, 10:02 AM

3 posts, read 2,240 times
Default RE: OKC Traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMidnightSoul View Post
I think a one hit wonder post is generally a sign that someone has a "beef" with the topic they are posting about and should be grounds for looking upon their opinion with skepticism (and vice versa, they could be pumping up an idea they have stake in).

I'm from Oklahoma. I moved away many years ago and have lived in many large and many not-so-large cities while working on contracts. I can say this was one of the funniest, most highly exaggerated (so much so that 'exaggeration' is too light a word-flat out falsities is closer to the truth, lol) that I have read in a long time. It's so far off base that I think it's pretty obvious the poster is not being sincere. They haven't been back to post on this topic, under that same name since then, so I think that affirms that.

It was good for a laugh though.
Interestingly, I forgot I made this post until I received an email today that someone had commented on it. Similarly in the past, others would comment and I didn't reply because I forgot my log in information. So your premise that I've a special agenda for my post is very off base- rather it's been inconvenient. For you, I will make an exception as it seems you feel "entitled" to a response. Most people in similar situations draw different perceptions as to the quality and cultural viewpoint of new environments. Mine is obviously different from yours and I'd hope readers will take into account the information from all posts, not just mine.

Long-winded and slightly riddled with typing errors (noticeable as I re-read my post, lol), I'd hope one would infer the impression that I rushed typing and wanted spell out ALL THE FACTS. Most importantly, the fact that it's my only post should prove, if anything, that I'm NOT some troll or serial poster rotting in a basement hoping from forum to forum spewing hate for OKC. I left a 60K paying job with excellent benefits at a young time in my career because I could NOT tolerate living, driving and coexisting in OKC with the locals. It hurt kissing that opportunity goodbye, to only move to Atlanta for a lower paying job. Being said, I DO NOT regret the move at all. And would do it again. It it makes you feel better, the colorful tone for which I wrote the post was "intentional" but please do not excuse it for satire or comedy.

Overall, my entire experience in OKC was awful. I could have fled to other forums about OKC's housing market, job market, night life, etc and wrote horrible things, but why spread negativity all over the message boards? Driving was the most pressing concern for me, so I felt the need to warn. Brick City (the nightlife district) was boring, catered to the 40 and up crowd, and lacked diversity. Most it's festivals involved square dancing conventions and the nightlife offered venues revolving around: pseudo blues joints, dive bars, and nickle beer lounges. Every waitress seemed to weigh over 400 pounds and the music selection consisted of placing coins in century old jukeboxes loaded with modern-country hits (ohhh noo..). I could go on but I'll leave that to others ito warn people of those atrocities. Glad you got a "good" laugh. Others may not find it funny once they move to OKC. If you ask me, the whole state should be nuked or returned to the Native Americans

Last edited by dcoleman2; 04-26-2012 at 10:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-26-2012, 11:03 AM

6,745 posts, read 7,755,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
If people aren't moving over to let you merge onto the freeway, wouldn't the most sensible thing be to stop or slow to 35? I come to a crawl when merging onto a freeway for just that reason.
I will pass people like you on the right on the on ramp before I follow you and slow down to 35 or come to a stop and risk my life and others.

If you can not merge onto a freeway (especially in a no traffic place like OKC) at whatever the speed the flow of traffic is, then stay off the freeways and take surface streets.

Thanks.

Unread 04-26-2012, 11:17 AM

78 posts, read 57,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcoleman2 View Post
Interestingly, I forgot I made this post until I received an email today that someone had commented on it. Similarly in the past, others would comment and I didn't reply because I forgot my log in information. So your premise that I've a special agenda for my post is very off base- rather it's been inconvenient. For you, I will make an exception as it seems you feel "entitled" to a response. Most people in similar situations draw different perceptions as to the quality and cultural viewpoint of new environments. Mine is obviously different from yours and I'd hope readers will take into account the information from all posts, not just mine.

Long-winded and slightly riddled with typing errors (noticeable as I re-read my post, lol), I'd hope one would infer the impression that I rushed typing and wanted spell out ALL THE FACTS. Most importantly, the fact that it's my only post should prove, if anything, that I'm NOT some troll or serial poster rotting in a basement hoping from forum to forum spewing hate for OKC. I left a 60K paying job with excellent benefits at a young time in my career because I could NOT tolerate living, driving and coexisting in OKC with the locals. It hurt kissing that opportunity goodbye, to only move to Atlanta for a lower paying job. Being said, I DO NOT regret the move at all. And would do it again. It it makes you feel better, the colorful tone for which I wrote the post was "intentional" but please do not excuse it for satire or comedy.

Overall, my entire experience in OKC was awful. I could have fled to other forums about OKC's housing market, job market, night life, etc and wrote horrible things, but why spread negativity all over the message boards? Driving was the most pressing concern for me, so I felt the need to warn. Brick City (the nightlife district) was boring, catered to the 40 and up crowd, and lacked diversity. Most it's festivals involved square dancing conventions and the nightlife offered venues revolving around: pseudo blues joints, dive bars, and nickle beer lounges. Every waitress seemed to weigh over 400 pounds and the music selection consisted of placing coins in century old jukeboxes loaded with modern-country hits (ohhh noo..). I could go on but I'll leave that to others ito warn people of those atrocities. Glad you got a "good" laugh. Others may not find it funny once they move to OKC. If you ask me, the whole state should be nuked or returned to the Native Americans
I will respectfully disagree with the 'dangerous driving' & 'unfriendly' bit in Oklahoma. While there are many things I do not miss about Oklahoma (which is why I choose to only visit family every year instead of moving back), driving is not one of them. I can't tell you how many days I've been driving through Denver or Tucson or L.A. on business and longed for the stress free driving through OKC. The only complaint I have about Okie driving is the speed at which most drive there. They drive too slow for my taste.

Broken windshields due to debris? I hadn't ever thought of the concept until I moved to WY and had to replace my windshield due to flying rocks, not once but twice (but I don't tailgate semi's or large trucks, so that might be why it wasn't a problem). Never had such a thing happen in OK. I thought the wind was bad in OK, until I moved to WY & then to CO. Road ending in a forest? There are stands of trees in OKC, but no forests. Same goes for cliffs. There are some drop offs, but nothing I would call a cliff. It's the plains.....relatively flat with only transplanted trees. Other areas of the state have forests & cliffs & even mountains, but not OKC.

Aggressive driving in Oklahoma to me generally means someone forgot to signal. While I agree there are aggressive, rude and unintelligent drivers everywhere, I just haven't encountered as many in OKC as I have in other cities of equitable size. While visiting family in January, I was again amazed that I was able to make it from Hefner Parkway to Moore in under 30 minutes, during rush hour no less, with no idiots cutting me off or creating traffic jams with their erratic driving. And the big trucks, I dont understand that comment. Semi's & 'big trucks' in OK pale in comparison to the amount of Semi's & large work trucks in WY across I-80 or CO across I-25. Same story with the comments about cows in the road, not my experience at all. I'd never seen cows in any road other than country two tracks until I lived in WY, where it's the drivers responsiblity to avoid the cows and not the ranchers responsiblity to keep his cows off the road. Can't say I've seen anymore kids by the roads than anywhere else either.

One thing I've noticed from traveling all over and one thing I hear consistently from people who have visited Oklahoma is the people are much nicer than many other places. They look you in the eye, they are geniune when they ask how you are, they don't mind helping neighbors, etc. I miss the congeniality of Oklahoma and it's been my experience that people from other places who visit Oklahoma definitely pick up on it, since it is consistently mentioned to me when people hear I'm from there.

That being said, there are a lot of things in Oklahoma that I don't like and they outweight the niceness of the people and the relatively stress free driving for me. If I was to harp on the things I dislike about Oklahoma, they would be about subjects far removed from driving habits and congeniality traits of Okies. They would be related to the politics, general regard (or lack thereof) for the environment around us, culture that doesn't emphasize outdoor activities and excercise (which is related to the obesity rate in ALL the Midwest & Southern states), and yes, there is a certain 'trashy' element to some, but not all, Okies, etc, but I disagree with bad driving and unfriendliness being anything a newbie would want to be concerned with.

Edited to Add: Plenty of Native Americans still live in Oklahoma. Plenty of Okies have Indian blood. Peoples from many Tribal Nations consider OK their home and there is a lot of land in OK that is owned by various Tribes already. Many Okies are proud of the Native American heritage and they would understand that a general statement like 'give it back the Native Americans' is an oversimplied statement since the "Native Americans" are made up of some 500+ different nations that have completely different cultures, roots, etc.

Last edited by AMidnightSoul; 04-26-2012 at 11:27 AM..

Unread 04-26-2012, 06:53 PM

3 posts, read 2,240 times
Default Re: OKC Traffic

Quote:
I will respectfully disagree with the 'dangerous driving' & 'unfriendly' bit in Oklahoma. While there are many things I do not miss about Oklahoma (which is why I choose to only visit family every year instead of moving back), driving is not one of them. I can't tell you how many days I've been driving through Denver or Tucson or L.A. on business and longed for the stress free driving through OKC. The only complaint I have about Okie driving is the speed at which most drive there. They drive too slow for my taste.

Broken windshields due to debris? I hadn't ever thought of the concept until I moved to WY and had to replace my windshield due to flying rocks, not once but twice (but I don't tailgate semi's or large trucks, so that might be why it wasn't a problem). Never had such a thing happen in OK. I thought the wind was bad in OK, until I moved to WY & then to CO. Road ending in a forest? There are stands of trees in OKC, but no forests. Same goes for cliffs. There are some drop offs, but nothing I would call a cliff. It's the plains.....relatively flat with only transplanted trees. Other areas of the state have forests & cliffs & even mountains, but not OKC.

Aggressive driving in Oklahoma to me generally means someone forgot to signal. While I agree there are aggressive, rude and unintelligent drivers everywhere, I just haven't encountered as many in OKC as I have in other cities of equitable size. While visiting family in January, I was again amazed that I was able to make it from Hefner Parkway to Moore in under 30 minutes, during rush hour no less, with no idiots cutting me off or creating traffic jams with their erratic driving. And the big trucks, I dont understand that comment. Semi's & 'big trucks' in OK pale in comparison to the amount of Semi's & large work trucks in WY across I-80 or CO across I-25. Same story with the comments about cows in the road, not my experience at all. I'd never seen cows in any road other than country two tracks until I lived in WY, where it's the drivers responsiblity to avoid the cows and not the ranchers responsiblity to keep his cows off the road. Can't say I've seen anymore kids by the roads than anywhere else either.

One thing I've noticed from traveling all over and one thing I hear consistently from people who have visited Oklahoma is the people are much nicer than many other places. They look you in the eye, they are geniune when they ask how you are, they don't mind helping neighbors, etc. I miss the congeniality of Oklahoma and it's been my experience that people from other places who visit Oklahoma definitely pick up on it, since it is consistently mentioned to me when people hear I'm from there.

That being said, there are a lot of things in Oklahoma that I don't like and they outweight the niceness of the people and the relatively stress free driving for me. If I was to harp on the things I dislike about Oklahoma, they would be about subjects far removed from driving habits and congeniality traits of Okies. They would be related to the politics, general regard (or lack thereof) for the environment around us, culture that doesn't emphasize outdoor activities and excercise (which is related to the obesity rate in ALL the Midwest & Southern states), and yes, there is a certain 'trashy' element to some, but not all, Okies, etc, but I disagree with bad driving and unfriendliness being anything a newbie would want to be concerned with.

Edited to Add: Plenty of Native Americans still live in Oklahoma. Plenty of Okies have Indian blood. Peoples from many Tribal Nations consider OK their home and there is a lot of land in OK that is owned by various Tribes already. Many Okies are proud of the Native American heritage and they would understand that a general statement like 'give it back the Native Americans' is an oversimplied statement since the "Native Americans" are made up of some 500+ different nations that have completely different cultures, roots, etc.
I respect your opinion, but it differs in comparison to what I experienced. People sometimes learn to adapt to their surroundings or turn a blind eye to things after living there for an extended period of time. Maybe your experience is different because you grew up in OK. I don't know but I can attest that everything I wrote came from my 6 month experience living there. One thing we "slightly" agree on is that Okies have a tendency to be trashy. Not everyone but most. When out, I lost count of people wearing dirty tshirts, missing teeth and messy hair. Restaurants were dirty and full of gigantic flies. I completely agree with you on their "lack" of environmental standards. Trash was everywhere. So much that wind blew hundreds of paper bits across the city. Neighborhoods were hit or miss. Some were clean and gated while others were trashy, boarded, condemnable and falling apart. Most cities have a variety of neighborhoods with few trouble spots, but inner OKC consisted of primarily trashy neighborhoods. The suburbs had nice homes or nice trailers but the inner city was hit or miss. The nice neighborhoods were often gated. Even the windows had bars. This was unusual to me as I'd expect nice parts of town not need gates and bars. I'd heard of million dollar neighborhoods being gated but not middle class town houses. But even some of the gated neighborhoods were in poor condition once you drive onto the property.

Again, the locals WERE NOT FRIENDLY. I can't speak for the entire state but the city locals were not. I'm originally from Alabama. Southern hospitality runs in my blood. I know hospitality when I see it. Many of the older people had stern looks on their faces and would just stare at you. People did not say hello and I was warned of intolerant behaviors towards blacks, gays, outsiders and generally anyone who did not come form that city. Mustang was notorious for this as I was warned to stay out by people I worked with if my political opinion did not reflect theirs. I had been cursed out by many people shopping at my stores. Usually, this occurred because of small things. Things like not accepting their food stamp cards (at a gas station), refusing a refund or preventing someone stealing would send these people into a frenzy. Youths were cordial but often into mischief and drugs. Hiring people who could pass a drug test proved impossible at times. Gangs were rampant as well as illegal aliens who ran most neighborhoods.

Driving, again, was dangerous. People drove too fast, and this coming from a guy with 3 speeding tickets who loves to drive fast. Merging was incredibly dangerous, as mentioned by several other posters on this forum. Roads would change and end without signage. Driving at night meant driving in the dark, as street lights were nonexistent after dawn. GPS devices are useless as they tend to lose signals. Construction was constant and poorly managed. Rain flooded the roads and caused hyroplaning. People ran red lights 30 to 40 seconds after it had turned red. Drivers sped through parking lots at highway speeds with disregard to incoming traffic and speed bumps. Small children were a nuisance and constantly played near roads. Dead animals on the interstate were hazardous for which the city waited days to clear up. Debris littered the interstates and proved to be a mainstay obstacle on the road. Dump trucks ruled the interstates by transporting various piles of "something" while clogging the roads at slow speeds. Driving behind these trucks usually meant encountering falling debris which was dangerous and unavoidable. You said yourself that the wind was bad. Imagine being from a place were wind is virtually nonexistent to being in a place were tornadoes blew f5 winds on a consistent biases. Traffic lights outnumber the cars as it takes 20 minuets to drive 4 blocks. It goes on, and on and on....

Ending, I don't doubt there could be worse places but I have yet to discover one. Maybe it's the South West or Plain States in general. Again, I am not speaking on behalf of the entire state of OK. Driving through Oklahoma to get to OK City was long and trouble free. In fact, I was shocked at how little traffic on the interstate I encountered. For hours I would drive and maybe see two or three passing vehicles. Driving through reservations appeared to be ghost towns at times. But once I got into the city, it was a different story. Agreed, getting from town to town takes very little time but the risk factor from driving on the highways and interstates was incredible. My younger brother agreed with me about living in OKC after visiting. He wanted to move up to live with me but I warned him of how drastic a change he would incur. Within two weeks, he was on a plan back to the South. Alabama is nothing to write home about and we have our fair share of hicks, bad drivers etc just like Atlanta. Again, nothing compares to what I experienced in Oklahoma City. I warn people who may be accustomed to a cosmopolitan lifestyle and orderliness to think long and hard before living there. Visit to test the waters first.

Last edited by dcoleman2; 04-26-2012 at 07:15 PM..

Unread 04-26-2012, 07:28 PM

1,591 posts, read 4,265,846 times
Quote:
I think a one hit wonder post is generally a sign that someone has a "beef" with the topic they are posting about and should be grounds for looking upon their opinion with skepticism (and vice versa, they could be pumping up an idea they have stake in).

I'm from Oklahoma. I moved away many years ago and have lived in many large and many not-so-large cities while working on contracts. I can say this was one of the funniest, most highly exaggerated (so much so that 'exaggeration' is too light a word-flat out falsities is closer to the truth, lol) that I have read in a long time. It's so far off base that I think it's pretty obvious the poster is not being sincere. They haven't been back to post on this topic, under that same name since then, so I think that affirms that.

It was good for a laugh though.
Best post on the thread. lol

Unread 04-26-2012, 08:49 PM

4,003 posts, read 4,012,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
If people aren't moving over to let you merge onto the freeway, wouldn't the most sensible thing be to stop or slow to 35? I come to a crawl when merging onto a freeway for just that reason. When people are going 60+ mph, there's no way to fit my van between speeding cars. If people don't like it, too bad.

I don't think the traffic is that much worse than 10 years ago (except 15th & Broadway Ext in Edmond), but there is so much construction it's impossible to get from Point A to Point B without stress, especially in rush hour.
35+ years ago when I took drivers ed, our second week of driving was on freeways. (no not in OK) The first thing they told us was that you needed to be up to the speed of the traffic on the road when you got to the end of the entrance ramp. If some moron in front of you doesn't have the huevos to force their way into traffic on the freeway and they slow down to 35 they are going to get others drivers hurt. Likewise, if you are on the freeway in the right lane and you see cars trying to get on, have the decency to move over and let them on.

Unread 04-27-2012, 09:00 PM

108 posts, read 84,264 times
I have to agree with my fellow transplants. While I like ok fairly well. U guys can't merge. I would like to know us drivers ed required. Because it is sorely needed. And whats up with the public transportation not very good. They need a regional authority to connect okc and all the suburbs. And to run late to help people get to and from work.

Unread 04-27-2012, 11:09 PM

3,149 posts, read 4,817,345 times
Drive on either Doyle Drive or 19th Avenue in San Francisco leading up to the Golden Gate Bridge. Drive on the 110 or 405 Freeways in L.A. 16 hours of the day. Even take the Brent Spence Bridge and travel I-75 through Cincinnati during rush hour. Those will turn your hair gray or nonexistent in no time.

I've only driven through OKC on a Sunday morning, but I found this thread on the recent thread listings on the home page and couldn't help but comment. If anybody has serious examples of traffic resembling huge metro areas in OKC, let me know. Otherwise, I'll believe it when Mario Lopez turns into a straight up gangsta.

Unread 04-27-2012, 11:12 PM

3,149 posts, read 4,817,345 times
Quote:
Again, the locals WERE NOT FRIENDLY. I can't speak for the entire state but the city locals were not. I'm originally from Alabama. Southern hospitality runs in my blood. I know hospitality when I see it. Many of the older people had stern looks on their faces and would just stare at you. People did not say hello and I was warned of intolerant behaviors towards blacks, gays, outsiders and generally anyone who did not come form that city. Mustang was notorious for this as I was warned to stay out by people I worked with if my political opinion did not reflect theirs. I had been cursed out by many people shopping at my stores. Usually, this occurred because of small things. Things like not accepting their food stamp cards (at a gas station), refusing a refund or preventing someone stealing would send these people into a frenzy. Youths were cordial but often into mischief and drugs. Hiring people who could pass a drug test proved impossible at times. Gangs were rampant as well as illegal aliens who ran most neighborhoods.
I think you'd love California. In particular, Santa Monica, Westwood, Walnut Creek, or south Marin County.

Unread 04-27-2012, 11:24 PM

3,814 posts, read 3,212,398 times
Quote:
I respect your opinion, but it differs in comparison to what I experienced. People sometimes learn to adapt to their surroundings or turn a blind eye to things after living there for an extended period of time. Maybe your experience is different because you grew up in OK. I don't know but I can attest that everything I wrote came from my 6 month experience living there. One thing we "slightly" agree on is that Okies have a tendency to be trashy. Not everyone but most. When out, I lost count of people wearing dirty tshirts, missing teeth and messy hair. Restaurants were dirty and full of gigantic flies. I completely agree with you on their "lack" of environmental standards. Trash was everywhere. So much that wind blew hundreds of paper bits across the city. Neighborhoods were hit or miss. Some were clean and gated while others were trashy, boarded, condemnable and falling apart. Most cities have a variety of neighborhoods with few trouble spots, but inner OKC consisted of primarily trashy neighborhoods. The suburbs had nice homes or nice trailers but the inner city was hit or miss. The nice neighborhoods were often gated. Even the windows had bars. This was unusual to me as I'd expect nice parts of town not need gates and bars. I'd heard of million dollar neighborhoods being gated but not middle class town houses. But even some of the gated neighborhoods were in poor condition once you drive onto the property.

Driving, again, was dangerous. People drove too fast, and this coming from a guy with 3 speeding tickets who loves to drive fast. Merging was incredibly dangerous, as mentioned by several other posters on this forum. Roads would change and end without signage. Driving at night meant driving in the dark, as street lights were nonexistent after dawn. GPS devices are useless as they tend to lose signals. Construction was constant and poorly managed. Rain flooded the roads and caused hyroplaning. People ran red lights 30 to 40 seconds after it had turned red. Drivers sped through parking lots at highway speeds with disregard to incoming traffic and speed bumps. Small children were a nuisance and constantly played near roads. Dead animals on the interstate were hazardous for which the city waited days to clear up. Debris littered the interstates and proved to be a mainstay obstacle on the road. Dump trucks ruled the interstates by transporting various piles of "something" while clogging the roads at slow speeds. Driving behind these trucks usually meant encountering falling debris which was dangerous and unavoidable. You said yourself that the wind was bad. Imagine being from a place were wind is virtually nonexistent to being in a place were tornadoes blew f5 winds on a consistent biases. Traffic lights outnumber the cars as it takes 20 minuets to drive 4 blocks. It goes on, and on and on....

Ending, I don't doubt there could be worse places but I have yet to discover one. Maybe it's the South West or Plain States in general. Again, I am not speaking on behalf of the entire state of OK. Driving through Oklahoma to get to OK City was long and trouble free. In fact, I was shocked at how little traffic on the interstate I encountered. For hours I would drive and maybe see two or three passing vehicles. Driving through reservations appeared to be ghost towns at times. But once I got into the city, it was a different story. Agreed, getting from town to town takes very little time but the risk factor from driving on the highways and interstates was incredible. My younger brother agreed with me about living in OKC after visiting. He wanted to move up to live with me but I warned him of how drastic a change he would incur. Within two weeks, he was on a plan back to the South. Alabama is nothing to write home about and we have our fair share of hicks, bad drivers etc just like Atlanta. Again, nothing compares to what I experienced in Oklahoma City. I warn people who may be accustomed to a cosmopolitan lifestyle and orderliness to think long and hard before living there. Visit to test the waters first.
>>>>>
Okies have a tendency to be trashy
<<<<<

Seems like the "trash" originates in your feeble mind and proceeds out of your mouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City