Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2011, 08:43 PM

80 posts, read 191,250 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if OK City and/or Norman have any specific regulations about the proximity to a building that a grill can be kept or used? An example is that in California the laws forbid charcoal grills on apartment patios and there are similar laws about condos that have wood fences. In North Carolina the law says that no grill of any kind is allowed to be used unless 10+ feet from structure of any multi-unit residental building with 3+ units. The law does not apply to houses or duplexes however.
I'm wondering if there is anything like that in OK City or Norman areas .
Thank you all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 08:55 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,758,253 times
I've never really thought about it. Just always used common sense. You might try calling the fire department. I'm sure they would be happy to answer your question.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:02 AM

259 posts, read 1,072,455 times
I think there is and it should be stated in the lease papers. That's not to say I didn't see people grilling on their patios anyways but pretty sure you were supposed to grill 10 ft away. Now that we have a home we always grill under the patio unless it's very windy.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:28 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,758,253 times
I believe when we lived in Texas it was a law that you had to have any grill at least 10 ft away from a structure, but like I said before, I never gave it any thought here. We just always tried to use common sense and have it well away from anything that might burn. I would never imagine having a grill under anything covered. When we bought our house, the previous owners had the grill on the deck, right up next to a wall, under the eaves. We found that pretty scary. One quick flash, and the house would be on fire.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:03 PM

80 posts, read 191,250 times
Default Thanks

Thank you for the replies. I didn't want to make that question too long initially but now i realize that i should have added some info. I am moving to OKC and my family loves to grill/BBQ and we don't want to rent or buy a place unless we have freedom to exercise our God given common sense. If the laws forbid using grills on patios of a condo or a townhome that are not at least 10 (or 15 or whatever the number) feet away from all parts of the structure, then that means that we'll never be able to live in a condo or townhome because usually their balconies or patios don't extend out more than just a few feet from the building. We have to know this so we know exactly what kind of a place to look to rent or buy, so if anyone has a law code or a link it's be great. ...But to tell you the truth, i suspect that OKC is not as neurotic about rules as some of our other states and has a better let live attitude, so that might explain why there is no posts about this and why people have not heard much about it. I'm hoping that's the case at least and if so, we'll like OK even more .

Last edited by JasonandBranka; 02-21-2011 at 03:06 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City