U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 08:12 AM

3,160 posts, read 7,206,554 times
Donau, you were wondering about Norman vs Edmond

Norman is much prettier than Edmond, in my opinion. Norman is home to a large university, so it has a different "feel" to it than Edmond. Well, Edmond has a large university too, but it does not dominate the town the way OU dominates Norman.

Probably at least 90% of all transplants to the OKC area choose to live in Edmond. If you live in Edmond, your neighborhood would be likely to contain more people from other parts of the country, and you would find it easier to feel accepted and make friends more easily. Just my opinion.

I am assuming you will live in a residential development, so critters and reptiles, ticks and chiggers would not be that big of a problem. With all the recents rains, we have had bad mosquito problems lately all over OK, but I don't think our mosquito problems normally are any worse than any other area of the country that is not in a desert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 01:05 PM

66 posts, read 161,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donau View Post
My husband might get a very good job opportunity in OKC and he is very excited about the position. He also has a possibility to go to Indianapolis however that position is not as good as the one in OKC . I've read a lot of good things about OKC but I am still a little nervous as we need to decide about moving in the next days and I do not have the chance to go down there to look around to have at least a first impression. I am not sure how much different would be our life there. Currently we leave in NJ and I had some difficulties to adjust here as well after I relocated from Europe but now I like it here.
I didn't mention yet my biggest concern which is the weather, specifically the big storms (tornadoes)! Can somebody help me to understand how often these happen and how bad they are? I like to drive around in the weekends and explore the neighborhoods and I imagine that I would be nervous about any storms that might show up and think they might be tornadoes and there would be no place around to get protection. I just don't want to leave under a permanent fear of tornadoes. Please let me know if I am going too far with my imagination, perhaps this is not so bad, I really have no idea? What are the most tornado prone areas? Is Edmond more affected than Norman? A last question is it easy to make new friends there if one speaks English with an accent and is not too religious. I would appreciate any input.
Thanks.
Hello, Donau! As it is August and you needed to decide in a few days, you've probably already made your decision. However, for the benefit of others who may find this thread, I can tell you that tornados happen in both Indiana and Oklahoma on a regular basis. Peak season is April to June, but some have occcured in October as well. They usually crop up whenever the seasons drastically change temperature.

As an apartment dweller in a city with no public shelter, I can understand living in fear. Spring is not my favorite time of the year, and as tornados often come during the evening and night time hours, it makes for a lot of sleepless nights when they are being active. It would be nice to just relax and enjoy a spring rain, but that's not how it goes here, for me. I liken it to being a resident of Beirut; you're always on edge a little, but you can't stop living waiting for something bad to happen to you. No matter where you go in this country, there's always going to be something!

Edmond, where I live, hasn't had a major tornado since 1986 when a good part of the western side got flattened by a big one. I personally think it's overdue one. No part of the metro area, or even Oklahoma, Kansas, and Texas, is immune, and none is more prone than others. Look at it this way, like the old song goes, if you can make it to December you'll be fine!

And as far as making friends with an accent? Given the number of Hispanics I don't see a problem there! Although it's not as eclectic as Chicago or Boston, if you stay near a college town you'll see and hear a little of everything.

I empathize with your culture shock. Just the thought of a 40-hour work week must kill you. I wish you guys well whereever you end up.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:17 PM

2 posts, read 1,886 times
don't move here if you are an african american. the police are really bad. they will
stop you for no reason, just to ask you for your liscense and registration,.

there is nothing to do here but go to bars and drink and go to sports events.

the people are friendly but superficial.

I grew up in okc, lived here for the last 17 years after moving back from
Dallas and B'ham, Al. I now realize how much okc is behind in racial
issues. They think they are ok, though. Especially if you are an
athlete.

The cost of living is good here, but there are no large companies here.
Lucent closed, GM left, and the only really large company is in
energy. Chesapeake energy company is in trouble since oil is down
so far because of the speculators.

I would not recommend OKC to anyone coming from the N.E.

These people have no idea of what it means to be aggessive.

They voted for McCain more than any other state in the Union.

There is a brain drain here. College students leave to go other places,
and my daughter will be leaving here after graduating from O.U.

I Have 3 master's degrees, but people don't talk to me about any of
them when I tell them I have graduate degrees in Psy., Theo., and Phil from
O.U.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:26 PM

2 posts, read 1,886 times
Oklahoma City is behind time.

It thinks it's not, but I grew up here, moved to Dallas and B'ham, Al. for 8 years.

I now see how behind it reallly is.

People willl smile at you, be frinedly, but being a Northeastener, it will really be culture shock.

The police here stop more people than any other city I have been in, including visiting.

The people are not really that aggressive as far as education and attempting to better
themselves.

There are no major industries here nor companies beside energy companies, which are
struggling since the speculation surrounding oil.

They voted more for John McCain than any other state percentage wise, including Idaho,
Montana, N. and S. Dakota, Utah, etc. Not that a person who voted for him is ignorant,
but I do think most of them voted for him because they don't think a black president
would be good for the country, which is ignorant. I voted for Bush twice.

I am african american, and can tell you OKC is really behind in race relations.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:55 AM

1,591 posts, read 4,457,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaine View Post

It thinks it's not, but I grew up here, moved to Dallas and B'ham, Al. for 8 years.

People willl smile at you, be frinedly, but being a Northeastener, it will really be culture shock.

The police here stop more people than any other city I have been in, including visiting.

The people are not really that aggressive as far as education and attempting to better
themselves.

There are no major industries here nor companies beside energy companies, which are

They voted more for John McCain than any other state percentage wise, including Idaho,
Montana, N. and S. Dakota, Utah, etc. Not that a person who voted for him is ignorant,
but I do think most of them voted for him because they don't think a black president

Behind the times! I don't think you could be anymore wrong.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:21 AM

11,879 posts, read 24,632,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaine View Post

themselves.

Two posts on this forum, and nothing but bashing OkC. I'm considering assigning you a troll status and all of the benefits therein.

Seriously, Birmingham, Alabama; one of the most racially divided cities in the country? OkC is head and shoulders above Birmingham in every aspect.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:26 AM

3,238 posts, read 5,599,901 times
My goodness, I am sooooo surpised to hear this!! This northeastern gal and her family have fit in just fine. My daughter is brown skinned, and has many, many friends. I better tell her to be aware that all her friends are not really her friends. She will be amazed. . . . . . .

Old 02-13-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
My goodness, I am sooooo surpised to hear this!! This northeastern gal and her family have fit in just fine. My daughter is brown skinned, and has many, many friends. I better tell her to be aware that all her friends are not really her friends. She will be amazed. . . . . . .
Yes, beware Colleen. All of us Okies are really closet racists that don't like anyone with a skin color other than white. I guess that's why I had so many problems growing up with my Native American friends. Cuz you know, those Native Americans have (gasp) brown skin. How horrible!!

I must have been in denial or something. //sarcasm off//

Old 02-13-2009, 11:22 AM

7,153 posts, read 9,481,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
All of us Okies are really closet racists that don't like anyone with a skin color other than white.
I don't give a rip about skin color.....I don't like ANYONE.........Makes no difference to me if they are brown black white red yellow or green (actually, I think green is funny.....ever give a cigar to a teen who thinks they are "grown up"?)..........

Old 02-13-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
I don't give a rip about skin color.....I don't like ANYONE.........Makes no difference to me if they are brown black white red yellow or green (actually, I think green is funny.....ever give a cigar to a teen who thinks they are "grown up"?)..........
We already know what a mean person you are GP. So mean that you offer up your own home to those in need. Shame on you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City