U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 12:54 PM

73 posts, read 125,661 times

Advertisements

#1soonerfan-
Thanks! You know this place may not be Philly or NYC but it still has a lot of good places to hangout. OKC by no means is a hick town like some Easterners thinks it is. Some of the earlier posts hit it right on the spot, night clubs are the worst places to meet women; try shopping malls, the many stores of them working here in town, get to know and hang out with a few close friends.

The last woman I dated I was introduced to by mutual friend at one of these professional type restaurants/bars. She was from Cherry Hill NJ, a slightly older split image of Kim Kardashian (and also of Armenian descent like Kim) in face and body. OMG, did I have fun time with her and she was not a B..ch either but was heavily into a lifestyle of shopping at Bloomingdales, Neiman Marcus, Lexus cars and stuff.

I'm new here and just for fun I checked out Graham Central Station at Reno & Portland last night, no let down and it's pretty much I expected. The women there were a little rough or country looking but accepted it for what it is. I was amused by the 70's spiraling disco lights and dance floor with folk wearing western wear and hats.

Charity events are another great source of meeting women and networking, I hope you have these in OKC.

Tonyd
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 05:06 PM

2,226 posts, read 1,717,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMM View Post
Also forgot to mention, OKC is the single mother capital of America, so if you have problems with women that have a little extra baggage, well...
Oh my God, is this ever true! I just moved here 2 months ago and am on Match.com. EVERY woman who emails me is 45-50 with 3 kids. Not thank you! Where do I find a pretty woman 30-40 who doesn't have kids but wants them? I think I have to go to Dallas to find her!

Old 01-11-2013, 01:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,467 times
Yeah I moved to Tulsa 8 years ago from Atlanta and here is what I have discovered after the initial culture shock. There is a pattern that repeats itself around here when it comes to the life of women.

1. Graduate high school
2. Marry High School Boyfriend
3. Have 2-3 Kids
4. Get Divorced
5. Place profile on Match.com

As a professional I was a little disappointed in the culture around the Tulsa area. I was not expecting to walk into an Atlanta type environment but you can tell the Church has expectations of women in this part of the country.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSHoward View Post
Yeah I moved to Tulsa 8 years ago from Atlanta and here is what I have discovered after the initial culture shock. There is a pattern that repeats itself around here when it comes to the life of women.

1. Graduate high school
2. Marry High School Boyfriend
3. Have 2-3 Kids
4. Get Divorced
5. Place profile on Match.com

As a professional I was a little disappointed in the culture around the Tulsa area. I was not expecting to walk into an Atlanta type environment but you can tell the Church has expectations of women in this part of the country.
Exactly. I moved here from Atlanta too, and man do I miss Atlanta. At least the people here are friendlier, but I guess I'll either stay single or have to meet a woman who is not from here.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:43 PM

15,402 posts, read 21,482,632 times
^
The social culture of the Great Plains is outside the mainstream, but a little research would have revealed this. I think Oklahoma is up near the top for the percentage of the population that has been divorced. The culture of early marriage compared to much of the rest of the US results in this phenomenon being much more common.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:55 AM

7,947 posts, read 9,508,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Exactly. I moved here from Atlanta too, and man do I miss Atlanta. At least the people here are friendlier, but I guess I'll either stay single or have to meet a woman who is not from here.
I moved from Charlotte and I miss it pretty bad sometimes. Charlotte isn't much larger than OKC and is still a conservative-leaning city but its like a night and day different from OKC.

OKC is not your typical city of 1.3 million people. Aside from having the NBA, OKC has a lot more in common with places like Little Rock, Tulsa, Wichita, Knoxville, Springfield, etc than the typical cities its compared to i.e. Memphis, Louisville, Richmond, etc.

I could live with the other negatives of OKC as its overall not a bad place to live but the fact that its almost as something is wrong with you if you aren't married by your 21st birthday really bugs me about this place. The churches here heavily glorify marriage, moreso than in other places I've lived, and it seems less focus is placed on careers and more on family. This isn't a bad thing, but that mindset is so dominant it can be a bit lonely here for those that don't adhere to it. The worst part about it is nearly every 20-something I've met since moving here is married so I haven't found very many other singles to socialize with. Personally I am not ready for marriage yet and worry that by the time I get there my only options will be women with whom I would be their third husband.

The one thing I am happy about is I really enjoy my job here and it pays well. The cost of living is also pretty low so I can actually enjoy a higher standard of living than I would have in a nicer city. I had to leave Charlotte because the economy there was killing both me and my future career options.

I really want to settle somewhere and don't want to move again, but I am not sure if I can make OKC work. I plan on working here for a few years and after that I'll have a decision to make. I've heard of many people moving here from out of state, hating it at first, then warming up to it and staying. Time will tell.

As for the initial question on the OP, from what I know of OKC thus far, church or some meetup.com group would probably be your best option. I personally wouldn't use night clubs or bars to find a potential mate in any city.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:46 AM

3,492 posts, read 3,217,340 times
Live in Norman and commute to your job in the City. College girls are not that different across the country in my experience but this concept would work best for young single males not older ones of course.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I moved from Charlotte and I miss it pretty bad sometimes. Charlotte isn't much larger than OKC and is still a conservative-leaning city but its like a night and day different from OKC.

OKC is not your typical city of 1.3 million people. Aside from having the NBA, OKC has a lot more in common with places like Little Rock, Tulsa, Wichita, Knoxville, Springfield, etc than the typical cities its compared to i.e. Memphis, Louisville, Richmond, etc.

I could live with the other negatives of OKC as its overall not a bad place to live but the fact that its almost as something is wrong with you if you aren't married by your 21st birthday really bugs me about this place. The churches here heavily glorify marriage, moreso than in other places I've lived, and it seems less focus is placed on careers and more on family. This isn't a bad thing, but that mindset is so dominant it can be a bit lonely here for those that don't adhere to it. The worst part about it is nearly every 20-something I've met since moving here is married so I haven't found very many other singles to socialize with. Personally I am not ready for marriage yet and worry that by the time I get there my only options will be women with whom I would be their third husband.

The one thing I am happy about is I really enjoy my job here and it pays well. The cost of living is also pretty low so I can actually enjoy a higher standard of living than I would have in a nicer city. I had to leave Charlotte because the economy there was killing both me and my future career options.

I really want to settle somewhere and don't want to move again, but I am not sure if I can make OKC work. I plan on working here for a few years and after that I'll have a decision to make. I've heard of many people moving here from out of state, hating it at first, then warming up to it and staying. Time will tell.

As for the initial question on the OP, from what I know of OKC thus far, church or some meetup.com group would probably be your best option. I personally wouldn't use night clubs or bars to find a potential mate in any city.
You sound like a much younger version of me, which is good because you still have time to meet someone. I however, am 44, and am facing what you fear facing at a much older age. I've been married and have no kids. I'm starting over, and apparently picked the wrong city to do that in. That is, if I want to find a wife who doesn't already have kids. I had no choice, as my field sucks in Atlanta. Thats right, I left a vibrant city with beautiful, successful, single women to come here. But I had to. Can't date without a job, so a catch 22. So I have this great job and love my company, but am lonely as hell because I can't find available women here. As for me, waiting a few years will pretty much seal my single fate. I look youngish now and am in good shape, but it doesn't really matter if you can't find women to date.

Personally, if its an option in a couple of years, I may try to move to Dallas and work remotely. I doubt it will be an option though. But I know if I can't meet anyone here I won't be fulfilled with just a good job.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:37 PM

15,402 posts, read 21,482,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
You sound like a much younger version of me, which is good because you still have time to meet someone. I however, am 44, and am facing what you fear facing at a much older age. I've been married and have no kids. I'm starting over, and apparently picked the wrong city to do that in. That is, if I want to find a wife who doesn't already have kids. I had no choice, as my field sucks in Atlanta. Thats right, I left a vibrant city with beautiful, successful, single women to come here. But I had to. Can't date without a job, so a catch 22. So I have this great job and love my company, but am lonely as hell because I can't find available women here. As for me, waiting a few years will pretty much seal my single fate. I look youngish now and am in good shape, but it doesn't really matter if you can't find women to date.

Personally, if its an option in a couple of years, I may try to move to Dallas and work remotely. I doubt it will be an option though. But I know if I can't meet anyone here I won't be fulfilled with just a good job.
Congratulations on the new job!
Your inclination of looking into Dallas metro is a good one as it has a much larger percentage of singles.
Oklahoma, unfortunately, is about the worst state in the country for single people with Kansas probably being the worst.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:49 PM

2,830 posts, read 1,626,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
^
The social culture of the Great Plains is outside the mainstream, but a little research would have revealed this. I think Oklahoma is up near the top for the percentage of the population that has been divorced. The culture of early marriage compared to much of the rest of the US results in this phenomenon being much more common.
Its overall marriage rate though is very high.

Marriage rates: Nevada and Hawaii have the highest marriage rates in the U.S. - Slate Magazine

It might be a good state to catch someone on the rebound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City