U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 12:25 PM

22 posts, read 55,571 times

Advertisements

I don't really want to go to my brothers church. From everything he is saying about it, it has the biggest reasons I avoid some churches.

What I'm looking for is more one where you do get kind of dressed up, but not dresses and suits/ties type thing. Where they are close, open and welcoming to new people, where I could make friends around my age in the main congregation (sorry I just butchered that word.) The churches I go to here are mostly Baptist, so I was thinking of a Baptist church there. (But the ones here, people are judgemental and don't really talk to new people at all. The only way to have friends in these churches are to bring friends with you.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 04:30 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,199,245 times
Clover, There are churches were people are more friendly. You just have to go church hunt. As for me, I would find one that has a lot of pot luck lunches. Me like food.

Old 08-12-2007, 03:30 PM

13,496 posts, read 25,531,045 times
Clover, thrift stores were already mentioned, but I was wondering if you've ever considered buying your clothes in off season. That's what I do and can get things unbelievably cheap. In later summer, I stock up on shorts and tank tops and sandals. I watch the sales flyers that come out every week and try to catch jeans on sale for myself and DH. I also skim through the clearance racks. Yea, most of it isn't too appealing, but you'll be surprised that you can actually find some nice clothes on those racks sometimes.

As for churches, you may want to try something like Presbyterian or Methodist or Congregational. In my area they are probably the more lenient, accpeting churches. As Jessaka said, just go out and church shop.

Old 08-13-2007, 06:15 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,199,245 times
Maybe you are not interested in church since you said that many are judgmental. In the judgment department I would really stay away from the Jehovah's Witnesses since they excommunicate people for small infractions.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:25 AM

3,160 posts, read 7,467,382 times
I have attended Baptist churches and I did not find them judgmental toward me or other members of the congregation. I like their singing and music, and the way the people participate in the services. But, then they do get on certain subjects.

Old 08-21-2007, 01:49 PM

37 posts, read 99,496 times
Hi Clover,

If you know ANYTHIING about computers, you might try applying @ Dell (which is located near the X of 40 and 44). Starting salary for grunt work is $9.00/hr. I was chatting up the clerk @ Walmart (a young girl, also an out of state transplant) who told me that her friend, straight out of HS, got a job @ Dell for more than the starting wage. DH works there and they have a high turn over rate and are often willing to take a chance and hire someone with even marginal knowledge/skill set. I don't remember all of what you wrote (except seeing "Mustang"), but I can tell you there's a strip mall on 40/MacArthur with several places that always seem to be hiring for retail work.

As for making friends, we checked out myspace, yahoo and meetup before we moved in order to have some people to connect with from the moment we arrived who like to do what we like to do. In 8 months we have made some AWESOME friends.

The thrift stores here are awesome, BTW.

Last edited by FutureFormerCalifornian; 08-21-2007 at 01:53 PM.. Reason: add'l information

Old 08-27-2007, 07:34 AM

22 posts, read 55,571 times
I'm here!

I love it so far, but my mom is still here with us. So we'll see how I feel in a few weeks.

And I think I was bit by something. My toe is swollen and itchy and hurts. (A day here and already hurt?) I noticed it last night... it woke me up this morning so I put ice on it. Now; since I'm extremely paranoid; how would I know if it's a brown recluse bite???

And I am in Mustang... if there is a tornado warning are there sirens or anything? Where do I go if there is one??

=) I think that might be all I have to ask lol. Thanks everyone!

Old 08-27-2007, 08:23 AM

11,879 posts, read 25,542,513 times
Wow, it must be the new blood or something. All of us long-time Okies never seem to get bit and all of you people from elsewhere seem to get chewed up the minute you arrive. I hope you find everything you're looking for Clover!

Old 08-27-2007, 10:55 AM

13,496 posts, read 25,531,045 times
Clover, go to your courthouse or call your emergency management director for your county. They can tell you where the safety shelters are in case of a tornado warning. Even up here, so few people actually know which shelter is the closest for them AND some people aren't even aware that there are shelters open for severe storms and tornadoes. Be sure to stay tuned to your radio if it looks like bad weather. A local station is the best because they should be announcing if a shelter has been opened. If it has, you're best bet is to go to it. It's just safer to go and have everything turn out ok. I'm not sure where your shelters will be, but probably the basement of your brick courthouse or if you have a public safety building, etc.

GEESH, I kind of feel like an Okie. We didn't get bit at all while we were there.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:28 AM

522 posts, read 1,056,323 times
I don't really know for sure about Mustang so you might check yourself directly. Moore does not have public shelters and I think most places do not have them.

Getting to a public shelter is not a very good idea and is usually more dangerous than staying put and following the rather well known and well publicized recommendations for tornado safety. Acting quickly and decisively is key. In the May 3, 1999 disaster so many of the injured and dead were people traveling.

There are a couple of exceptions: If you live in a mobile home then you need to find safety elsewhere. If you are traveling you need to find a safe place.

Just read the recommended safety rules for tornadoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City