U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-18-2011, 10:24 AM
 
Location: Oklahoma City Area
73 posts, read 184,807 times
Reputation: 28

Advertisements

I'm an Easterner from the Philly area that just moved to OKC. I'm trying to find a swimming hole to get relief from this heat, i.e. quarries, cool lakes, swift moving rivers. I'm close to Lake Hefner, and Overholster but cannot swim in them because of high bacteria counts. There is an Oklahoma River when I drive south on Meridian Ave. below I-40 but don't know much about swimming in that river and itsí entry points.

I'm from a water rich state and trying to find places to swim around here. I heard of a Blue Hole Park in OK but don't know where it is. Any suggestion from you folks here?


Tony D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-18-2011, 11:15 AM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,412 posts, read 7,707,999 times
Reputation: 3054
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyd1979 View Post
I'm an Easterner from the Philly area that just moved to OKC. I'm trying to find a swimming hole to get relief from this heat, i.e. quarries, cool lakes, swift moving rivers. I'm close to Lake Hefner, and Overholster but cannot swim in them because of high bacteria counts. There is an Oklahoma River when I drive south on Meridian Ave. below I-40 but don't know much about swimming in that river and its’ entry points.

I'm from a water rich state and trying to find places to swim around here. I heard of a Blue Hole Park in OK but don't know where it is. Any suggestion from you folks here?


Tony D.
Watch out for these.....

Browser froze....here we go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znAZln5dAQk

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 07-18-2011 at 11:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2011, 11:38 AM
 
Location: Edmond, OK
4,036 posts, read 9,195,440 times
Reputation: 4180
There's Turner Falls, down near Davis. No, it's not in the city, but it might be worth the drive. There's also Lake Arcadia in Edmond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2011, 11:46 AM
 
Location: Edmond, OK
4,036 posts, read 9,195,440 times
Reputation: 4180
Oh, forgot to mention, I've never seen anyone swimming in the river, but that's not to say it's impossible. I know that was where they did the swimming portion of a triathlon last year. You might call either the Devon or Chesapeake boathouses and ask them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2011, 11:51 AM
 
Location: Pawnee Nation
7,525 posts, read 14,905,412 times
Reputation: 7014
Blue Hole is a private campground in eastern Oklahoma, just east of Salina. It has a cold and deep "hole" where you can go down 10 feet or so. It is spring fed so it will turn you blue with the cold. Most central Oklahoma creeks and lakes are warm water and muddy. The really nice cold water, spring fed, clear rivers and creeks are found in Cherokee and Sequoya Counties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2011, 01:30 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma City Area
73 posts, read 184,807 times
Reputation: 28
Thanks for the tips; Lake Arcadia near Edmond may be the best local choice for me since I live in the NW sector of OKC. I will consider the cold streams and bodies of water in Cherokee and Sequoya Counties for a weekend getaway sometime; hopefully there are some good and clean motel lodgings in those parts, will check out some of the historical sites while there also.

Locals here recommended me not to swim in the Oklahoma River for whatever reason. We have spring fed quarries in Southern Penna. where the outside temps during the summer can easily reach 90 F; I'm aware of the dangers swimming in these waters with live springs (mid 50's water) with cramps being the number 1 contributor of drownings. There is one called Willow Spring Park near Richland Penna. I used to visit since the 60's as a kid. Beautiful privately owned with cable anchored floating docks at points throughout the lake, a haven for scuba divers and those retreating from the Central Penna. summer heat w/o going to the Atlantic Ocean 3-4 hours away. Just curious if these type of swimming quarries exists in Oklahoma?

Here's the link for Willow Springs Park in South Central PA
http://www.dtmag.com/dive-usa/locations/WillowSprPenn.htm

Tony D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2011, 04:31 PM
 
Location: Edmond, OK
4,036 posts, read 9,195,440 times
Reputation: 4180
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyd1979 View Post
Thanks for the tips; Lake Arcadia near Edmond may be the best local choice for me since I live in the NW sector of OKC. I will consider the cold streams and bodies of water in Cherokee and Sequoya Counties for a weekend getaway sometime; hopefully there are some good and clean motel lodgings in those parts, will check out some of the historical sites while there also.

Locals here recommended me not to swim in the Oklahoma River for whatever reason. We have spring fed quarries in Southern Penna. where the outside temps during the summer can easily reach 90 F; I'm aware of the dangers swimming in these waters with live springs (mid 50's water) with cramps being the number 1 contributor of drownings. There is one called Willow Spring Park near Richland Penna. I used to visit since the 60's as a kid. Beautiful privately owned with cable anchored floating docks at points throughout the lake, a haven for scuba divers and those retreating from the Central Penna. summer heat w/o going to the Atlantic Ocean 3-4 hours away. Just curious if these type of swimming quarries exists in Oklahoma?

Here's the link for Willow Springs Park in South Central PA
http://www.dtmag.com/dive-usa/locations/WillowSprPenn.htm

Tony D.
Could have something to with the fact that many of triathletes which competed here a couple of years ago got sick. I've never been swimming it, but I've kayaked in the river.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2011, 07:00 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma City Area
73 posts, read 184,807 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Blue Hole is a private campground in eastern Oklahoma, just east of Salina. It has a cold and deep "hole" where you can go down 10 feet or so. It is spring fed so it will turn you blue with the cold. Most central Oklahoma creeks and lakes are warm water and muddy. The really nice cold water, spring fed, clear rivers and creeks are found in Cherokee and Sequoya Counties.
For these cold streams, bodies of water whether public or private out east could you name a few in Cherokee and Sequoya Counties?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2011, 12:45 AM
 
Location: Pawnee Nation
7,525 posts, read 14,905,412 times
Reputation: 7014
Saline Creek, Little Saline Creek, Wycliffe Creek, Illinois River, Spring Creek, Neosho River, Spavinaw Creek, Big Hide Creek, Caney Creek, Baron Fork, Flint Creek, Double Spring Creek, Four Mile Creek, Clear Creek, Hickory Creek, Brush Creek.......some of these are in Adair and Mayes and other counties but they are all in the Cherokee Nation. This list is not comprehensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2011, 10:19 AM
 
Location: Oklahoma City Area
73 posts, read 184,807 times
Reputation: 28
Goodpasture, Thanks! I'm impressed with the list and will check some of the access points with the public and private parks in that area of Oklahoma. I've seen pictures of far Eastern Oklahoma and kind of reminds me of the lush green rugged hills of Pennsylvania back home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top