U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-03-2007, 07:52 PM

2,717 posts, read 2,315,715 times

Advertisements

OKC terrain wise is similar to Dallas but it is more hilly than Dallas on the east side of the OKC area. OKC sits at the edge of the Crosstimbers which is literally where the eastern US meets the western US.

Washington Irving came through this area in 1832 and named it the crosstimbers because the explorers had to hack through the forest with machetes.

The railroad was layed out along the west edge of the crosstimbers where the prairie starts. Thus you CAN live in the forest right outside of OKC.

I have lived in Arizona, Florida, Mississippi, Oregon, Texas and Oklahoma is nice because it is nicer than Griffis says it is but not so nice that it is overrun with refuges from the midwest and the east like the south and southwest or overrun with Californians like Oregon.

One other thing. If you want to fish in Oklahoma, you don't have to cut holes in the ice.

Come check it out.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2007, 11:42 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,832,728 times
The way this winter has been you would from time to time.

Old 02-04-2007, 10:45 AM

184 posts, read 910,714 times
Default Click on this to see how it looks.

[url]http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=35.458095~-97.698943&style=h&lvl=7&scene=2915553&vendor=googl e&pkw=oklahoma_map[/url]

Oops--you can't click on it so copy and paste the url to see a great map of the whole state!

Old 02-23-2007, 07:16 PM

152 posts, read 222,969 times
Personally I would like Griffis to run our tourism board. The more people think like him troughout the nation the better off all of us dumb okies are.

In other words stay the hell out!

Old 02-24-2007, 01:56 PM

12 posts, read 51,156 times
In response to previous posts, OK has a reputation as being "conservative." Given OK's high rates of teen pregnancy, drug use, and gambling, OK really isn't that socially conservative. OK is also anything but economically conservative. Look at our tax structure compared to that of Texas and compare the economies of the two states. Obviously, the more libertarian tax structure of Texas has produced better results.

Getting back on the topic of this thread, I love scenic places as much as the next guy, but that is why I go on vacations. To me scenery is less important than safety, low cost of living, and less traffic. Having lived in Memphis and New Orleans, OKC is certainly safe, and I value being able to live 15 miles away from the office and be home in 20 minutes. If scenery is a higher priority than cost of living and not being in transit for more than an hour a day, then OK may not be the place for you. The view really isn't that bad though, and to characterize OKC or Tulsa as "hell holes" does a disservice to some truly terrible places in the world that I have seen. I think OK is mostly a very nice place to live. Good luck finding a place to live.

Old 02-24-2007, 08:26 PM

20 posts, read 82,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Maybe I misspoke. But make no mistake, Oklahoma City is a Hell Hole. Tulsa is too, just a wee prettier and a little more going on. Both have crumbling infrastructures, crooked politicians, astoundingly high violent crime rates (in between Chicago and that OTHER hell hole, L.A. and both much higher than NYC.)

No, I do not live in Tulsa, though I have in the past and have some family still there. I have also lived and worked in Oklahoma City. I'm in Norman now. Unfortunately, still in Oklahoma.

But Nameless, does it surprise you that Tulsa is considered by most people to be slightly less of a hell hole when it has, as you yourself say, better scenery and more culture? Aren't those qualities that would MAKE a place a little better?

Now, these other places you mentioned:

Miami
New Orleans
Houston
Phoenix
Detroit
Chicago

What can I say-- they are all hell holes too! I've been to every one of these cities and they ALL suck. And I lived in New Orleans and Chicago for quite some time. Also used to live near to Phoenix and was there on a regular basis. Yuck.

At least N.O and Chicago have beautiful architecture and a lot to offer as far as things to do. But the crime is pretty bad and I would never live in either one again. As for Miami, Detroit and Houston...sheesh. Hard to decide which is the worst. They are all so terrible. Really, truly dreadful. I admit, I'd live in OKC or Tulsa before I'd EVER live in freakin' Miami, Detroit or Houston. Houston has got to be one of the ugliest, hottest, trafficky, crowded wastelands ever to be called an American city.

Jessaka, Muskogee isn't a terrible choice really. Tahlequah is also fairly pretty. But why go for "fairly pretty" in some small areas in a mostly flat and ugly state fueled by football and ignorance when you could live somewhere nearby that is far prettier. Arkansas is full of redneck conservatives just like Oklahoma, but at least it is pretty. The Ozarks in Missouri are pretty too, and probably have more festivals, fairs, general things-to-do.

Again, I will say, there are some things about Oklahoma to recommend it. Overall the people are at least friendly for the most part, esp. in smaller towns. Outside of OKC and Tulsa metro areas, crime is better than it is in a lot of other states, and cost of living isn't as bad as it is in most other states (but this is largely because the taxes suck and people don't get paid squat.)

Yes, some people do like flat areas of hundreds of acres of nothing but grass (whoo-hoo!) and Oklahoma does indeed have some of the only remaining tall grass prairieland in the US, but you gotta get WAY outside of OKC to see it.
Sounds to me like no matter what a place is like you would see it as a "hell hole". Perhaps it is your attitude. We tend to see what we want to see. Just a thought.

Old 04-08-2007, 09:31 AM

77 posts, read 399,697 times
Default Very Harsh Words Griffis

I WILL BE BACK TO ADDRESS THIS ISSUE WITH griffis LATER- I HAVE NOT READ THIS THREAD- AND WILL SET IT STRAIGHT- GOING TO CHURCH TONIGHT. LATER

Old 04-16-2007, 11:04 PM

34 posts, read 92,368 times
Southeast Oklahoma has a lot of hills and greenery. Not sure what employment is available in that area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southeastern_Oklahoma

Old 04-22-2007, 10:40 AM

259 posts, read 690,062 times
Although the city of OKC is fairly flat itself, the further east you go, the more green hills and nice scenery you'll find. The drive along 1-40 between Midwest City and Shawnee is really beautiful! I drive 3x a week out to Shawnee and have enjoyed watching the seasons change along that drive.
Another area in the city that seems to have more hills is Arcadia, just east of Edmond.
Although western okc is fairly flat, I still thinks there's beauty in it, I've learned to appreciate the open land, it makes you feel "free".

Old 06-14-2007, 07:52 PM

29 posts, read 81,529 times
Smile Enough Is Enough!!

Oklahoma City is a great place to live! A walk or a drive along Lake Hefner,
will let you realize how nice OKC is. Go to a concert or a sporting event
downtown on a saturday night.Its like Vegas! The question was about a place
to live. OKC has what it takes. You can relax in this city. Party when you want, then gear it down. Go shopping at your own pace. You can move around with ease. The folks of OKC have worked there butts off the past 10 years with the "MAPS PROJECTS". Anyone from out of state needs to read up
on just what OKC has done for its self and our state.People are moving to OKC. I went to las vegas last month. Had a great time, but was glad to be home in OKC. Thats what were talking about here. HOME!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City