Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2011, 02:59 PM

778 posts, read 2,322,787 times

Advertisements

To suggest that this area has a lot southern drawls is a display of extreme ignorance about accents/dialect. People who are orginally from this area speak typical midland dialect, and people from outside the built up urban areas might speak with a rural drawl that you hear anywhere in America that is out in the country. In fact, outside the popularity of sweet tea and the tendency to vote Republican there is nothing remotely southern about this area. I have heard plenty of Southerners describe Okahoma as "yankee". Get on youtube and listen to how someone from Alabama or South Carolina talk and compare it to someone who's from OKC. It won't even be close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ou_norman View Post
People also must be surprised at the amount of liberal hipster Christians here who constantly rally for the left-fringe social causes over the years like Invisible Children or Darfur. Urban Christianity has gone in a whole different direction in this area than it has in the north, or even Tulsa, where religion seems to have become increasingly traditional.
Would tend to agree, although that quickly changes once you get out of the urban area. But then again, Central OK has always had a social conservative view with a populist twist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 04:00 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,979,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1soonerfan View Post
To suggest that this area has a lot southern drawls is a display of extreme ignorance about accents/dialect. People who are orginally from this area speak typical midland dialect, and people from outside the built up urban areas might speak with a rural drawl that you hear anywhere in America that is out in the country. In fact, outside the popularity of sweet tea and the tendency to vote Republican there is nothing remotely southern about this area. I have heard plenty of Southerners describe Okahoma as "yankee". Get on youtube and listen to how someone from Alabama or South Carolina talk and compare it to someone who's from OKC. It won't even be close.

Would tend to agree, although that quickly changes once you get out of the urban area. But then again, Central OK has always had a social conservative view with a populist twist.
Oklahoma is a southern border state, a place where the south tapers out. Eastern Oklahoma is obviously more southern than the rest of the state. I think Oklahoma shares a bit in common with Texas, as well as the south, and eastern Texas also has southern influences. But ultimately Oklahoma is very much a crossroads state, with influences from the midwest (lots of German settlers), South (eastern mountains, Baptists, Pentecostals, extreme Christianity), Texas (highway/car culture, oil, hunting, ranches), and the Southwest (Indians, ____, _____).

During high school I lived in Independence, KS, which is about 45 miles north of Bartlesville, as well as in Chelsea, OK (40 miles northeast of Tulsa), and Lake Eufaula (south of Muskogee). I'm originally from Kansas City and live here now. When I would drive down south and start picking up the Oklahoma (Tulsa) radio stations, I was always struck by how much southern accent is there. I didn't really notice it when I was immersed in it, only when travelling back after some time in Kansas City. OKC, on the other hand, I'm not much familiar with, but I don't doubt that it's less southern than Tulsa or eastward.

Tulsa is a very nice city. I really like the place. I also like Oklahoma and don't dislike the south. There are some really nice people down there and a certain humanity that exists that I can't explain very well. I think it has to do with a lack of newcomers/diversity overtaking the original culture/settlers, which I don't think is a bad thing. I think it makes for an interesting place with interesting culture that benefits our country and cultural diversity as a whole and I like that. It seems like to a lot of folks anything "southern" is negative or they take it as an insult to suggest something they hold dear is "southern". I don't really get that. I truly like diversity and experiencing different places.

That said, this thread is about OKC vs KC. On many levels, KC is out of OKC's league. On the other hand, I'm sure OKC has qualities KC is lacking.

Since I don't know much about OKC, here are a few ideas that I have a feeling OKC might have the upper hand on. I'd imagine OKC is more friendly, has a much lower crime rate, is less expensive, more family oriented, more humble, and perhaps the population is more integrated in some ways. I know for a fact Oklahoma is one of the more state-centric states and the cities and rural areas are more integrated and less polarized, and I LIKE that. In KC, we're very divided, and I'd rather have rural folks and rural stuff be more a part of the diversity of our city. I also like how Bricktown is a bit more family-friendly and more humble than urban districts in KC. Also, I'd imagine OKC has less industrial wasteland than KC, and certainly less of the problems that industrial cities face as a result of loss of industry and falling from their industrial prime. Perhaps your downtown is more integrated and connected to surrounding areas?

Old 10-28-2011, 03:32 PM

1,586 posts, read 6,758,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Oklahoma is a southern border state, a place where the south tapers out. Eastern Oklahoma is obviously more southern than the rest of the state. I think Oklahoma shares a bit in common with Texas, as well as the south, and eastern Texas also has southern influences. But ultimately Oklahoma is very much a crossroads state, with influences from the midwest (lots of German settlers), South (eastern mountains, Baptists, Pentecostals, extreme Christianity), Texas (highway/car culture, oil, hunting, ranches), and the Southwest (Indians, ____, _____).

During high school I lived in Independence, KS, which is about 45 miles north of Bartlesville, as well as in Chelsea, OK (40 miles northeast of Tulsa), and Lake Eufaula (south of Muskogee). I'm originally from Kansas City and live here now. When I would drive down south and start picking up the Oklahoma (Tulsa) radio stations, I was always struck by how much southern accent is there. I didn't really notice it when I was immersed in it, only when travelling back after some time in Kansas City. OKC, on the other hand, I'm not much familiar with, but I don't doubt that it's less southern than Tulsa or eastward.

Tulsa is a very nice city. I really like the place. I also like Oklahoma and don't dislike the south. There are some really nice people down there and a certain humanity that exists that I can't explain very well. I think it has to do with a lack of newcomers/diversity overtaking the original culture/settlers, which I don't think is a bad thing. I think it makes for an interesting place with interesting culture that benefits our country and cultural diversity as a whole and I like that. It seems like to a lot of folks anything "southern" is negative or they take it as an insult to suggest something they hold dear is "southern". I don't really get that. I truly like diversity and experiencing different places.

That said, this thread is about OKC vs KC. On many levels, KC is out of OKC's league. On the other hand, I'm sure OKC has qualities KC is lacking.

Since I don't know much about OKC, here are a few ideas that I have a feeling OKC might have the upper hand on. I'd imagine OKC is more friendly, has a much lower crime rate, is less expensive, more family oriented, more humble, and perhaps the population is more integrated in some ways. I know for a fact Oklahoma is one of the more state-centric states and the cities and rural areas are more integrated and less polarized, and I LIKE that. In KC, we're very divided, and I'd rather have rural folks and rural stuff be more a part of the diversity of our city. I also like how Bricktown is a bit more family-friendly and more humble than urban districts in KC. Also, I'd imagine OKC has less industrial wasteland than KC, and certainly less of the problems that industrial cities face as a result of loss of industry and falling from their industrial prime. Perhaps your downtown is more integrated and connected to surrounding areas?

Glad you like tulsa! Aint it a wonderful lil town? But, your right. This is about OKC, so lets stick w that. KC is about the size of OKC and its lil sister Tulsa combined or more. Its a really silly comparison. Just like a recent thread trying to compare Tulsa vs almighty, gigantic Charlotte. Discussion when comparing cities can really be stupid especially when people try to compare tier 1/2 cities to tier 3. It doesnt work and ends up being ridiculous unless someone has a more concentrated personal question. Next time lets throw up Waco vs NYC and then we can all sound like retards when discussing the differences...

Old 10-28-2011, 09:19 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,979,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happytown View Post
Glad you like tulsa! Aint it a wonderful lil town? But, your right. This is about OKC, so lets stick w that. KC is about the size of OKC and its lil sister Tulsa combined or more. Its a really silly comparison. Just like a recent thread trying to compare Tulsa vs almighty, gigantic Charlotte. Discussion when comparing cities can really be stupid especially when people try to compare tier 1/2 cities to tier 3. It doesnt work and ends up being ridiculous unless someone has a more concentrated personal question. Next time lets throw up Waco vs NYC and then we can all sound like retards when discussing the differences...
Kansas City is significantly bigger than Oklahoma City, now and in the past. Charlotte gigantic? Charlotte and KC are about the same size. OKC is more the size of Memphis.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:11 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,886,188 times
Quote:
Kansas City is significantly bigger than Oklahoma City, now and in the past. Charlotte gigantic? Charlotte and KC are about the same size. OKC is more the size of Memphis.
Well, I think they sort of said that by saying KC is OKC+Tulsa and probably some more. It is OKC+Tulsa population wise (plus more if you include Lawrence and St Joe). But still has far more amneties (sports, culture, museums, attractions, theater etc) than those two put together.

That's not an insult, it's just the way it is.

And KC is also greater than Charlotte for the same reasons (although not by as much) even though they are about the same size population.

Old 10-29-2011, 05:34 PM

1,586 posts, read 6,758,092 times
Quote:
Confused? I added OKC and Tulsa together to try to measure up to KC.

Old 10-29-2011, 05:34 PM

242 posts, read 765,110 times
OKC is about 650k behind Kansas City (1.25m vs 2.03m), which is definitely significant. But actually the population difference is more like a Wichita (620k) than a Tulsa (940k), and OKC is currently growing a bit faster. In the last decade OKC grew by 157,000 (15%) Kansas City grew by 199,000 (11%).

Old 11-13-2011, 05:18 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,581,661 times
Quote:

you are spot on , and the skylines of OKC and Tulsa blows Kansas City out of the water.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ou_norman View Post
OKC is about 650k behind Kansas City (1.25m vs 2.03m), which is definitely significant. But actually the population difference is more like a Wichita (620k) than a Tulsa (940k), and OKC is currently growing a bit faster. In the last decade OKC grew by 157,000 (15%) Kansas City grew by 199,000 (11%).
At that growth rate OKC will catch Kansas City in about a hundred years.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happytown View Post
Tulsa wants to BE LIKE Charlotte NC , and I can say this having past thur Charlotte in 1976 Tulsa is just like that Charlotte NC.If you some day want to be like somebody you have to compare yourself to them....LOL , oh and by the way don't let Kansas City over inflate it's population it's smaller than OKC and Lil Sister TULSA combined...LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City