U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 06:04 PM

2 posts, read 3,816 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend got a job at Devon, and has asked me to move with him. I've lived in Ohio pretty much my whole life, and Cleveland the most recent. I guess I'm kind of curious as to what life is like there. He will probably be going before me, as the company wants him there by the end of December. He wants to move into the Arts District. What else is around there? How much does rent usually run? What's the cost of living like? More than likely I'll be moving with no job, so any input would be helpful. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 09:01 AM

4,019 posts, read 5,041,319 times
Okay, I just typed a long response to your post then accidentally deleted the whole thing and can't get it back. So, I'm not going to retype the whole thing, just the Cliff Notes version.

Congratulations to your boyfriend. Devon is a great company to work for.

What kind of work are you looking for? Unemployment levels better than many places.

Cost of living is low. I have no idea about rent cost.

City is very spread out.

Winters are much better than Ohio. Summers are hot.

People are very friendly.

Downtown is undergoing a renaissance. People beginning to move into the area.

Which arts district? "The Arts District" downtown, or The Paseo Arts District a couple of miles north of downtown?

If The Arts District, nice museum, civic center. Not a lot of restaurants. Not much in the way of shopping. Many more entertainment an dining options in Bricktown about a mile anyway from The Arts District. Easy walk to the new Devon building.

If the Paseo, cool, funky area. Up and coming area. Some cool little houses and apartments, some in need of help. Good restaurants, galleries, shops.

Read through some of the posts on this forum. You might find more answers.

If you have any more questions, please ask.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:09 AM

522 posts, read 1,051,275 times
Downtown OKC > Home

Old 10-27-2011, 02:56 PM

674 posts, read 918,804 times
I don't live too far from the Arts District. Great area, but just know your only options for living are limited to the Legacy At Arts Quarter apartments and Sycamore Square (I put links to these at the bottom of this post), which are pretty decent 80's era condos. I think most own these, but every now and again you will see an owner put one up for rent on Craiglist.

I'm assuming you want to live in that area because its the closest area to the new HQ under construction. If you could expand your boundaries just a tad to include the entire Central Business District you can get a lot more options IMO. This includes Deep Deuce at Bricktown, Park Harvey, the Regency, as well as several Banta Properties (they own quite a few small 4 and 8 plexes around Midtown). All are going to be within 10 minutes door to door to the new building.

Don't know what you are used to in Ohio but the CBD is considered on the high end price wise for this area. Out of those properties I listed the Regency and Park Harvey are the cheapest, but you will still pay about $700/month for a studio. For a one bedroom it will be north of $800-$1000.

Personally I love living in the city and think its worth it but you have to evaluate your own budget to see what your comfortable with.

Please let me know if you have any questions. I would be glad to help!

Oh and tell your bf congrats on the new job. I'm not much for corporate buttkissing but Devon is a great place to work. Our company does a lot of work for them and they are always a joy to deal with.

Inland

::Sycamore Square ::

Home | Park Harvey

Deep Deuce at Bricktown

Midtown Renaissance OKC - Oklahoma City Commercial, Residential and Retail Properties (http://midtownr.com/View.aspx?type=res - broken link)

Old 10-31-2011, 08:23 AM

2 posts, read 3,816 times
Well, I found out yesterday that it will be The Paseo Arts District. It seems like a cool, funky place, kind of like where I'm living now.

I guess my biggest concern is employment. I'm almost positive that I will not have a job when I move down there in the beginning of March. I'm in health care, I've been a pharmacy technician and a medical biller for the better half of ten years. I also have extensive knowledge, though no degree, in library science. I just get enrvous at the thought of moving somewhere with NO income whatsoever. I've also thought about going back to school down in Norman and earning a Master's Degree.

Anyone have ANY thoughts at all? I'm just a nervous wreck!

Old 10-31-2011, 09:52 AM

4,019 posts, read 5,041,319 times
I don't have any personal experience in the medical field, but I wouldn't think it would be hard to find employment in the field. The OU Health Sciences Center/Med school is here in OKC, as well as several other large hospital systems. There's Integris, Mercy, and St.Anthony's as well as the VA, Oklahoma Heart Hospital and a host of other small hospitals.

Also, don't know if you are aware, I know I wasn't when I moved here, but there are several universities in the area besides OU. So depending on what you are planning on getting a masters in, you might want to look at some of the others as well. There's Oklahoma City University, which is just west of the Paseo, Oklahoma Christian University, which is just on the border between OKC and Edmond, and the University of Central Oklahoma in Edmond, which is the 3rd largest university in the state, with something like 17,000+ students.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:34 PM

3 posts, read 2,608 times
Oklahoma is a great place to live and bring up kids (if that is in your future). The economy here has one of the lowest costs of living in the US. The city is starting to come into its own with its first professional basketball team (not that you will see any of that this season), Bricktown...an attempt at the River Walk in San Antonio, TX, An all new Outlet mall (so you don't have to drive to TX anymore. Some great restaurants, especially if you like Steak!

There is a demand for Health care workers here too! https://servicelink.oesc.state.ok.us/ada/ that is the link to the employment office. Just type in medical or healthcare and hundreds of jobs pop up. St. Anthony's Hospital will be close by to where you are going live as well as the OU Medical and VA hospital...not to mention all of the urgent care clinics scattered everywhere.

Everyone here is real friendly as well. I think you will like it here very much

Old 11-18-2011, 10:51 AM

1,586 posts, read 4,608,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curvykitten63 View Post
Well, I found out yesterday that it will be The Paseo Arts District. It seems like a cool, funky place, kind of like where I'm living now.

I guess my biggest concern is employment. I'm almost positive that I will not have a job when I move down there in the beginning of March. I'm in health care, I've been a pharmacy technician and a medical biller for the better half of ten years. I also have extensive knowledge, though no degree, in library science. I just get enrvous at the thought of moving somewhere with NO income whatsoever. I've also thought about going back to school down in Norman and earning a Master's Degree.

Anyone have ANY thoughts at all? I'm just a nervous wreck!
Here is a recent pic of the Paseo...

Stay away from The Market apartments which you can see under the skyline. Bad management, the facility is known for fires, flooding and mold.

I would suggest the The BreightonIt is just west of the main Paseo street/district.
Its gated for safety, small but neat apartments, good rent, pool and decent laundry facilities. They are like small brownstones w balconies.
pics...

http://static.verticalbrands.net/img/ext/images.ncinfo.net/phototmp/photos_nt/88622/469CADCB-614C-422C-96E1-C254BD52DE29.jpg (broken link)

http://static.verticalbrands.net/img/ext/images.ncinfo.net/phototmp/photos_nt/88622/47FA8071-F1F4-4C44-8658-1D308332CB9F.jpg (broken link)

OCU offers a great Nursing program...Dunno if this helps. Good Luck!

Old 11-19-2011, 02:06 PM

5,373 posts, read 7,235,096 times
The whole Paseo district is prime territiory for a takeover and makeover by all the illegal aliens that live just to the south of that area. Pretty soon yellow and red paint will dominate this area. It's coming and no one will be able to stop it....

Old 11-19-2011, 06:29 PM

1,586 posts, read 4,608,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
The whole Paseo district is prime territiory for a takeover and makeover by all the illegal aliens that live just to the south of that area. Pretty soon yellow and red paint will dominate this area. It's coming and no one will be able to stop it....
I know someone who will stop it-John Belt. Why? BC he basically owns the Paseo. On a funny note, I imagine you own a gun rack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City