Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 09:38 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,445,317 times

Advertisements

Oklahoma City is usually compared to Dallas because of I-35. Tulsa was an oil patch, most of which is in Houston now so Tulsa and Houston have a connection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 11:16 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Oklahoma City is usually compared to Dallas because of I-35. Tulsa was an oil patch, most of which is in Houston now so Tulsa and Houston have a connection.
I suppose there are a lot of oil connections between Tulsa and Houston. Houston is ginormous. The last time we were there it was growing even more. Lots going on in H-town!

Old 09-01-2007, 04:10 AM

1,586 posts, read 6,756,597 times
Default whatever.......let it continue its natural gas course........

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Interesting....Here is a current list. Looks like things have changed. Darn it...... I just couldnt help myself.

OKC-this one was a real shocker for me........not really. lol
- Oil & Gas Land Leases, Properties, & Royalties (124)

OKC #s

Oil & Gas Exploration & Development (340)
Oil & Gas Producers (177)
Oil & Gas Companies (469)
Oil Field Equipment & Supplies (379)
Oil & Gas Consulting Services (4)
Oil & Gas Land Leases, Properties, & Royalties (124)
Oil & Gas Well Drilling (29)
Oil & Gas Field Services & Supplies (41)
Oil Field Consultants (2)
Oil Field Contractors (66)
Oil & Gas Burners (5)
Oil & Gas Distributors & Marketers (5)
Oil Well Services (23)

Tulsa #s

Oil & Gas Exploration & Development (162)
Oil & Gas Producers (113)
Oil & Gas Companies (274)
Oil Field Equipment & Supplies (128)
Oil & Gas Consulting Services (5)
Oil & Gas Land Leases, Properties, & Royalties (47)
Oil & Gas Well Drilling (17)
Oil & Gas Field Services & Supplies (14)
Oil Field Consultants (2)
Oil Field Contractors (6)
Oil & Gas Burners (5)
Oil & Gas Distributors & Marketers (5)
Oil Well Services (8)

Houston-#s

Oil & Gas Exploration & Development (787)
Oil & Gas Producers (113)
Oil & Gas Companies (908)
Oil Field Equipment & Supplies (928)
Oil & Gas Consulting Services (12)
Oil & Gas Land Leases, Properties, & Royalties (94)
Oil & Gas Well Drilling (95)
Oil & Gas Field Services & Supplies (92)
Oil Field Consultants (6)
Oil Field Contractors (118)
Oil & Gas Burners (6)
Oil & Gas Distributors & Marketers (8)
Oil Operators (3)
Oil Well Services (28)

Dallas-#s

Oil & Gas Exploration & Development (344)
Oil & Gas Producers (135)
Oil & Gas Companies (489)
Oil Field Equipment & Supplies (92)
Oil & Gas Consulting Services (8)
Oil & Gas Land Leases, Properties, & Royalties (44)
Oil & Gas Well Drilling (11)
Oil & Gas Field Services & Supplies (7)
Oil Field Consultants (4)
Oil Field Contractors (51)
Oil & Gas Burners (5)
Oil & Gas Distributors & Marketers (7)
Oil Operators (1)
Oil Well Services (6)

Last edited by happytown; 09-01-2007 at 04:28 AM..

Old 09-01-2007, 07:57 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,212 times
Yesterday we went to OKC to visit the kiddos. Starting about Tecumseh on the way to Norman we saw as usual large homes newly finished or under construction. The real shocker was in north Edmond to the Deer Creek area. We varied our usual route and were amazed to see the number and size of houses under construction. Not all of them were your "modest" 2000-3000 sq. ft. homes. Some of them looked to be 10,000 sq. ft.

We were asking ourselves, what kind of jobs do these people have?

Happytown's post above answers part of our question, but OKC's economy is much more diversified than that, in my opinion. The medical research park near OU med school and the Dell computer center are two examples I can think of. Oklahoma City is indeed growing and prospering!

Old 09-01-2007, 09:20 AM

Smile Its strange.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
Yesterday we went to OKC to visit the kiddos. Starting about Tecumseh on the way to Norman we saw as usual large homes newly finished or under construction. The real shocker was in north Edmond to the Deer Creek area. We varied our usual route and were amazed to see the number and size of houses under construction. Not all of them were your "modest" 2000-3000 sq. ft. homes. Some of them looked to be 10,000 sq. ft.

We were asking ourselves, what kind of jobs do these people have?

Happytown's post above answers part of our question, but OKC's economy is much more diversified than that, in my opinion. The medical research park near OU med school and the Dell computer center are two examples I can think of. Oklahoma City is indeed growing and prospering!
Oh it has become ridiculous......You should see Westmoore....The houses are giants even on the south side of town....I think Toby Keith is creating his own lil' town over dar!

Old 09-01-2007, 10:14 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happytown View Post
Oh it has become ridiculous......You should see Westmoore....The houses are giants even on the south side of town....I think Toby Keith is creating his own lil' town over dar!
When our kids were looking for houses to buy, we drove them around some of the beautiful older neighborhoods in Oklahoma City trying to encourage them to move into a neighborhood with some, how can I say this nicely, hmmmmm. Well, guess what, they chose to move to the newer neighborhoods. I really appreciate your efforts to promote some of the older, beautiful and historic areas of OKC. I think the MAPS for Kids school project and the support of the business leaders of OKC will make a huge difference in the future.

Old 09-01-2007, 02:20 PM

Default Dont get what your implying...but ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
When our kids were looking for houses to buy, we drove them around some of the beautiful older neighborhoods in Oklahoma City trying to encourage them to move into a neighborhood with some, how can I say this nicely, hmmmmm. Well, guess what, they chose to move to the newer neighborhoods. I really appreciate your efforts to promote some of the older, beautiful and historic areas of OKC. I think the MAPS for Kids school project and the support of the business leaders of OKC will make a huge difference in the future.
Ya- many kids like newer homes, all shiny and stuff w/new cheesy signs...Its too bad...They all have no personality at all. I wish the best for your kids in there new neighborhoods.

My efforts are very miniscule compared to the enormous amount of energy being invested into the historical areas by many many locals.....Not just for the future but currently. I still dont get what you are implying...are they scared of older homes?...or is this going to be a blah blah blah.....Maybe they should check out okctalk and ask a few questions...They def can give great advice...So many of them get involved with these topics, not just me... (LOL)... Again..Edmond/distant suburbs are storming into the historical areas to be near the urban core...many bringing in bad taste. Reason=young professionals that make good money and out of state people can relate to older homes...good luck with it.

Old 09-01-2007, 03:15 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
If I were to move to "The City" as we called OkC growing up, I would love to live in one of those older, historic neighborhoods. I can't stand the bland type of neighborhoods that you described peggy. I'm with ya Happytown. Promote those old, historic, neighborhoods.

Old 09-01-2007, 04:06 PM

Smile Right on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
If I were to move to "The City" as we called OkC growing up, I would love to live in one of those older, historic neighborhoods. I can't stand the bland type of neighborhoods that you described peggy. I'm with ya Happytown. Promote those old, historic, neighborhoods.
No kidding...Not just for the enjoyment of living in an old home....But for the sake of--Why build more when you already have it? If you ask me...Its bad for the environment to keep on building more and more and more- waste of materials....Unless of course its like for The BOK Center (what a gem) or other significant public structures where everyone can enjoy the progress of mankind. I have been seeing bumper stickers in Norman and OKC.
They read:

DONT EDMOND MY NORMAN.

Old 09-01-2007, 05:07 PM

66 posts, read 245,877 times
Default Allow Me To Answer Truthfully

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
Questions about OKC!!? I have been to Tulsa and although I had all these misconceptions about Oklahoma in general. Tulsa reminded me so much of a Texas city like Dallas..I was expecting Tulsa to be a total "redneck" town, but it turned out to be a pretty average city. Is OKC similar to Tulsa? Almost like Dallas and Houston are a bit different but very similar? Is Oklahoma City growing as fast as Dallas, or is it kinda stagnant? Also, I can see how Tulsa can be a "boring" place after a while..is OKC more vibrant? Thanks!!
OKC is as far from being like Dallas as you can get. You are correct in that Tulsa is practically a smaller version of Dallas, right down to the short on-ramps on I-44.

Is it boring? Compared to what, and what do you want to do? I've been to Dallas, never touched Houston, so I'm not sure what these two have that you're looking for here.

It really does depend on what your tastes are. In OKC, for example, you almost have to go downtown to find places that stay open past 9pm on weeknights, and there are movie theaters. Liquor stores don't deliver, and they're not open at all on vote day until after the polls close (very archaic, I know), otherwise they close at 9 and are not open on Sunday. THAT sucks. If you work for a living, and get off at 6pm, between 6 and 10pm there are places to go and eat or read or shop. Not much of a theater district, though, although what little there is is very good.

I personally think that if you compare the two largest cities in Oklahoma, that Tulsa is the more "cosmopolitan" of the two. I think you'd need to actually drive 90 min southwest and find out for yourself, spend a couple weeks, and see if it's to your liking.

I understand about the impressions, though. There are people around the country who believe we all ride horses to work still!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City