Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 02:50 AM

751 posts, read 1,168,278 times

Advertisements

Hi all:

What are some positive things about living in OKC and Oklahoma in general!? I am from Minnesota and first drove to OK a couple years ago. I must confess that I had so many misconceptions about Oklahoma. I was expecting Tulsa to be a total hick/redneck city, and it turned out to be a pretty "normal midsized American city". One thing I noticed about Oklahoma right away is how religious it really is. I am not religious and I was wondering if it is hard living there for those who dont care about religion?! Also, I noticed so many armadillos along the highways..do you see armadillos year round or do they seem to come out at a certain time of the year??? Do you ever feel bored in OKC? Was Will Rogers the most famous Oklahoman? Everything seems to be Will Rogers..Anyways..thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 04:19 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,584,084 times
Oklahoma has a lot of misconceptions. Many people are surprised the whole state is not flat, dusty, and dry.

I am not religious but I am not an atheist. It is not a problem for me. Some people believe in asking you to come to their church, but they are not overly persistent if you tell them no. I am really just too lazy to go to church, or to dress up much. I haven't had anyone give me a hard time about it.

That is an interesting question about the armadillos. It seemed like winter before last they were everywhere. I have not seen so many since. They are strange animals.

I don't know if Will Rogers was more famous than Mickey Mantle. We do have a lot named after Will Rogers. The things he said and wrote made a lot of sense.

Old 09-14-2007, 07:08 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,802,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
Hi all:

What are some positive things about living in OKC and Oklahoma in general!? I am from Minnesota and first drove to OK a couple years ago. I must confess that I had so many misconceptions about Oklahoma. I was expecting Tulsa to be a total hick/redneck city, and it turned out to be a pretty "normal midsized American city". One thing I noticed about Oklahoma right away is how religious it really is. I am not religious and I was wondering if it is hard living there for those who dont care about religion?! Also, I noticed so many armadillos along the highways..do you see armadillos year round or do they seem to come out at a certain time of the year??? Do you ever feel bored in OKC? Was Will Rogers the most famous Oklahoman? Everything seems to be Will Rogers..Anyways..thanks!
OkC is a great place. It's what I would call "up and coming" (not meaning that it was down and gone before) because of all the developments going on there. Armadillos are somewhat common and you'll see them more in the summer. Don't feed them or you could get your arm taken off - they are quite vicious when provoked and numerous deaths have resulted from people that are naive to their cunning ways..

Just Joking.

Will Rogers was probably Oklahoma's favorite son. I don't know if he was the most famous, but he was probably the most loved.

Old 09-14-2007, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
Hi all:

Oh, and you'll be fine if you're not religious. There are lots of non-religious people in Oklahoma and they do just fine as well.

Old 09-14-2007, 11:26 AM

1,586 posts, read 6,739,307 times
Talking Skeksis or armadillos?

lol...Synopsis. But them armadillos like to feed on Atheists and just chew on Agnostics!
But for real....Armadillos are like possums with a shell. They do have teeth and will bite like crazy if caught. They are nocturnal and run for their lives if they see a human. Finding one is like trying to find Big foot. I have always likened them to the evil creatures off of the movie The Dark Crystal!

YouTube - Trial by Stone

Old 09-14-2007, 03:52 PM

^I was joking about religion....Most people except any kind or none at all. Only the best to the original OP.

Old 09-15-2007, 07:06 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,487,738 times
One of the most positive things about living in Oklahoma is that we don't have the intense cold and heavy snow that Minnesota has to live with every winter. Here, most winters never get below zero. But we better pray that the upcoming winter doesn't venture to the extremes the past spring and summer have done. Last winter's ice was plenty bad enough.

Another positive thing in Oklahoma, especially since the turn of the century, is that people don't seem so helplessly conservative and uptight as they once were. For instance, no district attorney since 2000 has tried to ban anything as obscene, such as Penthouse magazine or a movie like the Tin Drum. Also various forms of gambling, once banned, no longer are. Also tattooing is now OK. And don't forget, cockfighting was recently banned. It's enough to make me think we're closer than ever to living in a civilized state, like Minnesota.

Religion in Oklahoma is just an unfunny hypocritical joke. Too many people are religious about going to church on Sunday, but the rest of the week act little like they know what the Bible says to live one's life. Will Rogers summed up the situation quite well when he said that Baptists stumble and fall on their way to the polls to vote no when the question is about alcohol. At least going to church is a great way to get out and socialize once a week, which I think is the main appeal for going to church.

Another positive thing about Oklahoma is the growth and development taking place in some of Oklahoma's cities. Is nice to see new buildings raise up out of the dirt and take form. Still, too many towns in Oklahoma are still in a sad state of decay where really very little is happening.

Another positive thing about Oklahoma is that it's not real small in population like Wyoming or Montana. Unlike with Oklahoma, I bet the outside perceptions of those states are closer to real than mistakened.

Speaking of armadillos, it seems there was never a year for them like it was back in the early or mid 1970's. It was when they first migrated up in Oklahoma and were all over the highways getting run over like crazy.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 09-15-2007 at 07:15 PM..

Old 09-15-2007, 07:43 PM

You are right...Will Rogers was a great man.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happytown View Post
You are right...Will Rogers was a great man.
Ditto to that HT. I wish he were around today to bring some sanity into the world.

Old 09-16-2007, 07:02 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,304,140 times
I don't get bored and I have spent my life in CA in either Berkeley or San Diego for most part, but I grew up in a very small town and prefer them. Why don't I get bored? Well, I thought I would, but I travel to different areas and I work in the community and in my yard. I don't have time to be bored. Plus there are plays to go to or movies, restaurants. I thought about all of the things I did in CA when I moved here and I found that I do the same things. It took me longer to find the neat stores since I love shopping, but I found them. I also had a hard time finding nice restaurants to replace those I missed, but I found them and am not quite happy.

Religion is not a problem. People here don't ask you what faith you are even if they sometimes invite you to church. They don't ask about your politics either. I just accept their beliefs and listen to them. My own beliefs are somewhat different, but it doesn't matter to me what anyone believes. I had a lot of fears before moving here because I thought they would ask me and then reject me if I wasn't of their faith or didn't go to church. But I can't say that I am not religious.

Since moving here I found an antique photo of Will Rogers with a dog, and I bought it and put it up in my bedroom with other photos of people and animals.

I was told by someone from MN that Tahlequah is a hick town. Perhaps by their standards it is, but I grew up in what some call a redneck/hick town and I prefer them. I remember a friend coming with another friend to Creston, CA, a cowtown where I lived that had 200 for a population. He walked into the local bar where we went to dance, and he looked at everyone and the gun racks in their pickups and was scared out of his wits. Too many western movies for this San Franciso kid. I don't know why I brought that up because that isn't what you are thinking. It just came to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City