U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 02:57 PM

5,356 posts, read 3,328,928 times
Parts of Oklahoma City are excellent to raise kids. Parts aren't so good.

The very simple, basic things in life are easy to get in Oklahoma City. Low unemployment, the price of houses make sense compared to the wages, etc. It's probably easier to raise kids here then in most places in the country.

Just pick a part of the metro where they have good school and low crime rates, and you'll have an easy time raising a family here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 11:04 AM

671 posts, read 854,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Parts of Oklahoma City are excellent to raise kids. Parts aren't so good.

The very simple, basic things in life are easy to get in Oklahoma City. Low unemployment, the price of houses make sense compared to the wages, etc. It's probably easier to raise kids here then in most places in the country.

Just pick a part of the metro where they have good school and low crime rates, and you'll have an easy time raising a family here.
Good post.

In a lot of ways, OKC is no different than most mid sized American cities. We have good area, crappy areas, good schools, terrible schools, low and high crime areas, etc. I think what makes this area unique is the fact that the low COL combined with the good job market make this area a far less stressful area to live. Less stress can make a world of difference when raising a family or even living as a single person.

Case in point: I've got a lot of family out on the east coast, specifically DC/MD and NJ. They are all dancing on the edge of sanity trying to keep up with their lifestyles up there. They have to cope with what my uncle calls the 4 "c's" of east coast living; costly, cutthroat, cold, and cloudy. They live next to some of the biggest pockets of culture and art in the world and love to arrogantly point this out when they are with other members of my family from OK and TX. But what's the point of living next to that stuff if you're too broke or stressed to even enjoy it? I've also seen some classmates move out there for job reasons and just get beat down by the lifestyle up there. Unless you really just making bank it seems like it would be very difficult to raise kids up there.

Now don't get me wrong, there are personality types that would be miserable here. Personally, there is quite a bit that irks me about this state. Yes the weather is nuts, and the garbage coming out of the legislature is infuriating. But I can honestly say that most are an annoyance, and none of them affect my standard of living or quality of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City