Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 09:48 PM

1,586 posts, read 6,756,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Great OkC pictures Happytown! We don't get to see enough of these. Like Peggy, I'll be busy for awhile.. Thanks
Hopefully one of these days I will actually take some of my own pics...Hope you can enjoy some unusual history of OKC. Trolleys from 1900-post WW2 and the major destruction of many historic buildings like the Biltmore in Dtown is info people have never heard about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 08:33 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,212 times
I'm so ancient I was there when they took down the Biltmore. I got a few bricks. That Urban Renewal was a plan that did not work. Today, we have much better ideas! Good thing they didn't get to Bricktown with their explosives!

Old 10-05-2007, 11:51 AM

Smile Gotta give me a brick thats awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
I'm so ancient I was there when they took down the Biltmore. I got a few bricks. That Urban Renewal was a plan that did not work. Today, we have much better ideas! Good thing they didn't get to Bricktown with their explosives!
I also actually saw the Biltmore go down with my GGrandmother...but I was pretty young. They say that is one of the largest buildings to be taken down intentionally. People were crying over it. A lot of great architecture bit the dust in the 70s.

Shame on OKC.

Old 10-05-2007, 03:59 PM

689 posts, read 2,057,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
Hmmm. I guess that makes me ancient, too. We watched the Biltmore fall one week before we left to visit friends stationed in Germany and Italy. The Biltmore story was in "Stars and Stripes" while we were over there. We were struck by the contrast - knocking the Biltmore down because it was so old (45-ish) and out-of-date, while Europeans still used buildings that had survived for centuries.

Old 10-05-2007, 04:45 PM

Biltmore hotel wasnt extremely old in 1977...But today a 33 story hotel built in 1932 is a jem in Oklahoma. What a mess up. Just the image of a structure this size being blown up makes me want to cringe. OKC would pay millions to take that one back.

Biltmore Hotel

Old 10-05-2007, 06:07 PM

Cindycat, were you in the crowd that rushed the building after it fell. That was wild! People were crazy to get bricks, doors, etc.

I don't know how they ever came up with that idea. I worked in an office downtown at Main and Hudson. It was a perfectly good building but we had to move and they took it down. The lot stayed empty for years. I hope we are wiser now.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:54 PM

Peggy here are images of some of the most beautiful buildings in OKC that were destroyed because of the 70s.
Baum Building
Oklahoma City Libraries
Bristol Hotel
Patterson Building
Oklahoma County Courthouse
Wells Roberts Hotel
Overholser Opera House / Orpheum Theatre
Bass & Harbour / Insurance Building
Goodholm Building

There are like 10 more...makes me sick.

Old 10-06-2007, 05:34 AM

I was looking around for some info on that period, but didn't find much. We did get the Myriad Botanical Gardens designed by I M Pei out of the deal. Other than that, it was a disaster.

Old 10-06-2007, 06:19 AM

533 posts, read 1,710,420 times
Try to get a copy of OKC Second Time Around: A Renaissance Story by Steve Lackmeyer and Jack Money. You can get it at Full Circle Bookstore in 50 Penn Place which is worth going to in its own right.

It is locally published by Full Circle Press so it is not always available. But it is a great visual and written history of urban renewal in OKC. The authors are to be commended for this work in my opinion.

Old 10-06-2007, 07:09 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happytown View Post
Biltmore hotel wasnt extremely old in 1977...But today a 33 story hotel built in 1932 is a jem in Oklahoma. What a mess up. Just the image of a structure this size being blown up makes me want to cringe. OKC would pay millions to take that one back.

Biltmore Hotel
Goodness, what a loss. Why did they see fit to tear down such a beautiful building? And you're right, I bet they would give anything to get that back. What was up with people in the 70s? It's as if they wanted to tear apart history.. A pity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City