Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 09:27 AM

17,639 posts, read 13,457,938 times

Advertisements

There is a steak and catfish joint on I-35 and Waterloo Road that was on Man vs. Food. I've never been but I've heard it's good. Just about 5 minutes north of town.

Also there is Pop's which is east of town about 5 minutes east of town on HWY 66. I've hear mixed reviews on the food but it is interesting because they supposedly have every type of bottled pop known to man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 10:46 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,717,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Go there mainly for the atmosphere. NOT for the food.
We really enjoy Eskimo Joe's. Their bacon cheese fries are delicious.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:21 PM

72 posts, read 126,138 times
Had Johnies for lunch and Teds for dinner and both were great.

Now what are the best places to go grocery shopping? I'm near Coltrane and Covell and have mostly driven east and west on Danforth so far.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:08 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,310,899 times
Gorilla,

I'm more of a Tulsa guy, though I'm in OKC now (just moved back after 8 years out of state) so unfortunately I don't know where best to shop in Edmond, but I just wanted to jump on here to welcome you to OK.

I spent most of the time I lived here when I was younger trying like heck to figure a way out of here. I've been all over the USA and some other countries and even though I really hate the Summer heat and humidity here, no place is perfect and it feels real good to be back.

Low cost of living, friendly, friendly people, and sunsets & sunrises that are as spectacular as any place you could ever see one.

Lots of diveristy in the terrain too, especially when you get out to the edges.

Hope you will be happy here. Welcome aboard.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:11 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,310,899 times
By the way, if you ever have a mind to, Chickasha has two great greasy burger restaurants and there's kind of a friendly rivalry between 'em.

One's called JW Grill and the other is Paw Paws.

You are gonna have to head down there at some point, try both and see which side you fall on.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:56 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,717,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla97 View Post
Had Johnies for lunch and Teds for dinner and both were great.

Now what are the best places to go grocery shopping? I'm near Coltrane and Covell and have mostly driven east and west on Danforth so far.
Welcome Gorilla. We live very near each other. Grocery shopping is a sore subject in Edmond, and really most of OKC. The area is definitely lacking in good grocery stores.

I end up at Homeland too often just because its convenient, but its really expensive, so if I'm getting more than a few things I have to venture out further.

Uptown Grocery on Covell at Kelly is very nice. It's kind of a mix of Whole Foods and a regular grocery store. You can pick up all your organic, natural stuff and your regular stuff like Tide. They have a great bakery, butcher shop, produce department and cheese shop as well as a very large area with prepared foods. Unfortunately, in my opinion, in order to have all that stuff, the selection of various sizes suffers. For example, they have Heinz Ketchup, but they may have it in only a couple of sizes. I also think they are often too expensive.

Not sure if you're familiar with the Sprouts chain. They are an organic/natural foods market located on 2nd, near Broadway. They have a selection similar to, but not as big as Whole Foods, but are much more affordable. They have good meats and produce and I like their deli because they sell Boars Head products (one of only 2 places in Edmond to get it).

If you want some really good meats, especially for grilling, I would suggest The Meat House at Danforth and Santa Fe, across from Wal Mart. It's pricy but worth it. Also, while there, pick up some bread from Prairie Thunder Bakery, a bakery located on 10th in OKC. It's delivered a couple of times a week to the Meat House and it is great.

Really, the best all around shopping is at Crest at Santa Fe and 15th, it's just a bit of a trek from our area for just a few things. It is a huge store with a great selection and really good prices. By far the best produce department around. Homeland may have 2 or 3 varieties of apples, and Crest will 6 or 8. Just be prepared, because it's always crowded, but they always have plenty of checkout lines open and you usually don't have to wait much at all.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:17 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,494,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post

Lots of diveristy in the terrain too, especially when you get out to the edges.
YES, like when taking Route 66 headed out of OKC to the northwest.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:33 PM

72 posts, read 126,138 times
Thanks for the welcome and great information! The wife is headed to the grocery store in the morning we will see what she comes back with and how she liked it (not sure which stores she will be shopping).

So far we really like the Edmond area. It's very similar to where we were living in Texas but with a lot more trees! I grew up in KS and spent the last 15+ years living in Texas. Now that I have kids we wanted to be closer to our families back in KS and the opportunity to relocate came up and we jumped at it.

Looking forward to lots of new experiences and keep the feedback coming! Thanks.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:19 PM

17,639 posts, read 13,457,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
By the way, if you ever have a mind to, Chickasha has two great greasy burger restaurants and there's kind of a friendly rivalry between 'em.

One's called JW Grill and the other is Paw Paws.

You are gonna have to head down there at some point, try both and see which side you fall on.
I'm a Paw Paws guy although both are good.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:46 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,189,515 times
OKC really does lack abundant quality grocery stores. There are a few though. Whole Foods of course is great. Homeland is very hit or miss. Some of them are great and others are dumps, it really depends on the store. Crest is, like the poster above said, probably your best all around option. To me, its the most consistent between locations. I don't understand why they don't expand their presence and become the dominant grocer in the OKC market. Crest stores are always very packed every time I go in them.

Then of course you have Wal-Mart. I despise the super centers but some of the neighborhood markets are alright. I try to boycott Wal-Mart though simply because they are responsible for the grocery store situation in this city because they ran out all the national chains. If you are price conscious, Crest gets close or even sometimes beats them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City