Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 08:19 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,246,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I don't think OKC is ugly. It's not the prettiest city, but it's not really ugly either. There are a lot worse cities out there. I even like the new tower. I just think it's way out of scale and that makes the skyline sort of ugly from some angles.
I'm spoiled having moved from Charlotte, NC, which in my opinion is a beautiful city.

I agree, there are uglier cities out there. OKC is ugly compared to Charlotte, but in the grand scheme of things its probably average, especially for the Western United States (which OKC is a part of geographically, even though its more Southern culturally).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 03:32 PM

10,744 posts, read 23,801,634 times
Default OKC as a long weekend destination?

I've noticed OKC making headlines over the last few years as a rising city. Would you say it would merrit an 8 hour roadtrip down I-40 to come visit and check it out? I know about Bricktown, how about the rest of downtown? What would be an itinerary for a curious visitor to OKC that just wanted to come check it out?

Old 01-27-2013, 06:54 PM

778 posts, read 2,321,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I've noticed OKC making headlines over the last few years as a rising city. Would you say it would merrit an 8 hour roadtrip down I-40 to come visit and check it out? I know about Bricktown, how about the rest of downtown? What would be an itinerary for a curious visitor to OKC that just wanted to come check it out?
It depends what you are looking for. I wouldn't come now as it is brown and bleak due to the winter season, not to mention there really isn't a lot going on. But in the springtime, things get cranked up. Lots of festivals like Festival of the arts, art shows in the Paseo, and if this spring was anything like last spring, downtown will be electric when the Thunder are in the playoffs. There's also the bombing memorial, Myriad Gardens, and the OKCMOA. The Devon Tower lobby and grounds is open to visitors and is worth some photo taking. And of course the usual Bricktown, but a trip to Automobile Alley along Broadway may be worth your time. While not technically in downtown, Stockyards City and the Cowboy Hall of Fame are good places to visit if you are into western themed activities and art.

I know quite a few people from smaller cities in the region (Amarillo, Wichita, Tulsa, Ft Smith, or smaller towns in OK) come to OKC to get their "big city fix." But those people are usually coming to go to stuff not in their own town ("Oooh, an Apple Store! OMG an Outlet Mall!") But for a quick weekend trip from ABQ, it may just work.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:47 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,500,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Catch the Thunder at a home game and eat some Earl's Rib BBQ just before and it will be worth your time. Bricktown is becoming a fun place to hangout with some of the nice developments/updates over the last several years.

*The OKC Memorial is a must.
*Also, the Cowboy Hall of Fame is one of my favorite places on God's green earth.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:22 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcca7596 View Post
Well, when a place like Phoenix has far more landscaped beauty and also a more stable water supply with their canals (as opposed to OKC's dependence on Canton and Hefner), I would say at the very least some sort of native plant ordinance on all new developments should be implemented.
The long term prospects for water supply in the west US is not good, OKC is near some lakes in SE oklahoma with huge surpluses of water. It will cost to pipe it to OKC but beats Phoenix hands down.....bad example on why OKC needs to change vegetation rules or types. The type of landscape vegetation is not the big issue faced by the west from lack of water supply.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:18 PM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,783,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcpulse View Post
Wichita is uglier. Their river may be decent, but I have been there enough times to safely say that, at least in my opinion, Wichita has no beauty in any category sans a few parts of Wichita that are landscaped. However, OKC is catching up quick in the landscaping category... at least in the last few years.

And what natural beauty does Dallas/Ft. Worth have on OKC, other than trees. It is still flat. Flat as a board northwest of Dallas as well.
Ah, yes. Dallas is flat, but not as flat as OKC. Also, DFW has far more lakes, all of which are much larger, thus making the natural beauty better than OKC's. Planning and development also plays a huge role in "created beauty." OKC has more of a desolate feel while DFW has more of a prairie and lakes influence on its geography.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:19 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,250,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1soonerfan View Post
I know quite a few people from smaller cities in the region (Amarillo, Wichita, Tulsa, Ft Smith, or smaller towns in OK) come to OKC to get their "big city fix." But those people are usually coming to go to stuff not in their own town ("Oooh, an Apple Store! OMG an Outlet Mall!") But for a quick weekend trip from ABQ, it may just work.
I have never heard of anyone in Tulsa going to OKC to get their "Big city fix"

Ft Smith, AR is 100 miles from Tulsa and 175 from OKC. Maybe it happens, but I can't imagine anyone in Ft. Smith driving and extra 150 mile round trip to go to OKC over Tulsa for their "Big city fix" I don't know if this is still true, but I read several years ago that the 71st St corridor was the largest shopping area in Oklahoma. Plus this is on the SE side of the Tulsa Metro Area making it even easer for folks from Ft Smith, they don't have to drive through as much of the city that way.

I can only think of 3 things that make Tulsans drive down the turnpike. Here they are in order.

OU game in Norman, I know tons of people who go down for an OU game.
Business at the state capital. I know of a few people that have to go down there for one thing or another.
OKC thunder game. I don't know anyone personally who has gone to a Thunder game, but sure there is some.

But over the last few years Tulsa has become less relevant for folks coming over from Arkansas for shopping and entertainment with the rise of the NW Arkansas area. Bentionville, Rogers, Springdale metro area is just 60 miles north of Ft Smith.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
I have never heard of anyone in Tulsa going to OKC to get their "Big city fix"

Ft Smith, AR is 100 miles from Tulsa and 175 from OKC. Maybe it happens, but I can't imagine anyone in Ft. Smith driving and extra 150 mile round trip to go to OKC over Tulsa for their "Big city fix" I don't know if this is still true, but I read several years ago that the 71st St corridor was the largest shopping area in Oklahoma. Plus this is on the SE side of the Tulsa Metro Area making it even easer for folks from Ft Smith, they don't have to drive through as much of the city that way.

I can only think of 3 things that make Tulsans drive down the turnpike. Here they are in order.

OU game in Norman, I know tons of people who go down for an OU game.
Business at the state capital. I know of a few people that have to go down there for one thing or another.
OKC thunder game. I don't know anyone personally who has gone to a Thunder game, but sure there is some.

But over the last few years Tulsa has become less relevant for folks coming over from Arkansas for shopping and entertainment with the rise of the NW Arkansas area. Bentionville, Rogers, Springdale metro area is just 60 miles north of Ft Smith.
I agree with this. A lot more Central Oklahomans take day or weekend trips up the turnpike than the opposite. That is a clear sign that Tulsa is still, ever so slightly, ahead of OKC. It's a lot closer match though than it once was. A good friend of mine goes up to Tulsa to bar hop a few times per month because he says Tulsa has better nightlife for young, educated professionals. To me, this rivalry is interesting because the smaller, less important city is in many ways superior to the larger one. The reasons for that can be traced back to OKC's 1960s urban renewal plan known as "Pei Plan" which OKC is still recovering from. All the "progress" from MAPS is mostly just rebuilding what was lost in this disasterous urban renewal plan. Given the current momentum though I think OKC could pass Tulsa within the next decade and trips down the turnpike will become more common. That's not a bad thing for Tulsa though. OKC is a good deal larger and should offer more than it does for its size.

I also wish OKC would implement something to make the city more aesthetically pleasing. It doesn't have the best of geography but Dallas is geographically similar and is much prettier, due to landscaping and building codes.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:04 PM

778 posts, read 2,321,986 times
Geez, didn't realize my last post would be so controversial. Maybe I shouldn't have used the term "big city fix."

I don't know anyone in my circle that drives to Tulsa to go to bars--seems like a long way to drive to get wasted--although I know a few that go to shows at Cains, or at the very least, go visit family or friends. I myself am going up there in a few weeks to go catch up with some college friends. Its a nice city for a weekend visit.

I do know plenty of Tulsa people that come down here for Thunder/OU games, concerts, or just to do business. With that in mind, I doubt OKC is the "go-to" destination for people there. It just so happens to be the closest city of size. And most people from OKC are going to go to Dallas over Tulsa, IMO.

What city is superior is a matter of debate that has been hashed out on here plenty of times.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1soonerfan View Post
Geez, didn't realize my last post would be so controversial. Maybe I shouldn't have used the term "big city fix."

I don't know anyone in my circle that drives to Tulsa to go to bars--seems like a long way to drive to get wasted--although I know a few that go to shows at Cains, or at the very least, go visit family or friends. I myself am going up there in a few weeks to go catch up with some college friends. Its a nice city for a weekend visit.
I agree. The people I know who drive to Tulsa are the hipster types and they say the nightlife in Tulsa is more eclectic and sophisticated (Tulsans have long claimed this but I think its starting to become more even). They also go for the live music scene, which they say is superior to anything down here. I haven't been to Tulsa though except for Broken Arrow so I can't really judge it. A lot of people also go for concerts, but I don't think anyone here will argue that Tulsa gets far more big name concerts than OKC does.

OKC gets a few big names but its mostly country and has-been rock bands. I think Dallas, being within a three hour drive, hurts OKC in terms of concerts. A lot of people also go there for weekend trips and that city has everything anybody could want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City