U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-01-2013, 11:16 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC (in my mind)
7,946 posts, read 15,292,046 times
Reputation: 4529

Advertisements

I am not sure on tornadoes. I saw with my own eyes the 1999 Moore F5 tornado out my back window. I know the damage they can do, but such tornadoes are also extremely rare. I believe metro OKC has only been hit by an F5 tornado three times in its recorded history. Weaker tornadoes are a lot more common but they do far less damage. Also, tornadoes only carve out a small path unlike hurricanes or earthquakes which can level and entire city.

I am fairly nervous about this upcoming tornado season though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-02-2013, 02:06 AM
 
Location: Dangling from a mooses antlers
7,307 posts, read 12,447,269 times
Reputation: 6165
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I am not sure on tornadoes. I saw with my own eyes the 1999 Moore F5 tornado out my back window. I know the damage they can do, but such tornadoes are also extremely rare. I believe metro OKC has only been hit by an F5 tornado three times in its recorded history. Weaker tornadoes are a lot more common but they do far less damage. Also, tornadoes only carve out a small path unlike hurricanes or earthquakes which can level and entire city.

I am fairly nervous about this upcoming tornado season though.
The May 24th 2011 tornado in central Oklahoma was 3/4 of a mile wide and was on the ground for over 60 miles. They are called long track tornados for a reason. You can still see the affects of it in Piedmont and Cashion. Drive out to Falcon Lake on Waterloo Rd in Piedmont and take a look around.

Best offical coverage of just how much devistation a tornado in Oklahoma can bring.

Tornado B2 - The Calumet-El Reno-Piedmont-Guthrie Tornado of May 24, 2011


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2013, 05:28 PM
 
Location: Tulsa, OK
2,572 posts, read 3,602,817 times
Reputation: 2394
I have lived in and out of Oklahoma for most of my 50 years of life. I have only seen one tornado, it was at about 41st and Garnet here in Tulsa, about 1996.

I was working up in northern Pennsylvania last summer, and got caught in a small tornado; I thought I was going to die! It started near Elmira, New York and crossed into Pennsylvania near Sayre. I pulled over to the side of the road and really thought my truck was going roll. I was looking for a ditch but the wind, rain and hail was so intense I couldn't get the door open or see out my windshield. When the storm passed there were huge trees blocking the road about 300 ft up the road.

I guess the point of my story, is a tornado or any other natural disasters can happen anywhere. Tornados are practically unheard of up in Northern Pennsylvania, but yet this dumb Okie just about got killed in one! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2013, 11:13 AM
 
16 posts, read 30,483 times
Reputation: 11
Thank you guys for your honesty and help! It has given me a lot to think about but i definitely don't want to give up this opportunity because of the fear of tornados. I guess I wouldn't be so worried if I didn't have a small child. Does Edmond and Yukon also get hit frequently? I am assuming as long as we have a good plan then we should be ok. It surprises me that every apartment I've called do not have storm shelters for residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2013, 11:14 AM
 
16 posts, read 30,483 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
I have lived in and out of Oklahoma for most of my 50 years of life. I have only seen one tornado, it was at about 41st and Garnet here in Tulsa, about 1996.

I was working up in northern Pennsylvania last summer, and got caught in a small tornado; I thought I was going to die! It started near Elmira, New York and crossed into Pennsylvania near Sayre. I pulled over to the side of the road and really thought my truck was going roll. I was looking for a ditch but the wind, rain and hail was so intense I couldn't get the door open or see out my windshield. When the storm passed there were huge trees blocking the road about 300 ft up the road.

I guess the point of my story, is a tornado or any other natural disasters can happen anywhere. Tornados are practically unheard of up in Northern Pennsylvania, but yet this dumb Okie just about got killed in one! LOL
Wow!!! I couldn't imagine. That's my biggest fear is get caught in one while driving. I have never heard of one up that way. That's just insane, there un heard of here in New Mexico too, but from what I have heard we have had a few in our history as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2013, 11:18 AM
 
16 posts, read 30,483 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
Incorrect.

When I was about 11 my home was hit by one, and yes we were at home. Took our roof off. My grandparents lived next door. Their home was hit as well. The entire front of their house was ripped off, including the wall where my grandparents bed was placed, while they were in the bed sleeping. Again, when I was an adult, I was in a shopping mall, with my 2 small children, when it was hit. Luckily no one was injured. They just moved all the customers into the storm shelter areas, where we waited it out. And once a year or so before that, there was a small one which moved through our neighborhood. We only had damage to some trees, but neighbors had more, like roof damage.

By the way, none of these were in Oklahoma. All in Texas.

The point is, you can't let the fear of a possible weather event control where you live. These storms can be deadly, and horrible things can happen, and I would never try to discount nor make light of the horrible losses that these things can cause. The odds of it actually happening to you are still ver slim. You have to be smart, and take all precautions, but you shouldn't let the fear of a possible weather occurrence keep you from accepting this wonderful opportunity.
Thank you! I do think you are right. It would be ridiculous to give up a great opportunity because I fear tornadoes. I hVe worked really hard and it would be a shame to settle for less and give up on all my hard work because of the fear. There going to happen, and natural disasters happen every where. I guess as long as your smart about it we should be safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2013, 12:58 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma
7,770 posts, read 6,674,167 times
Reputation: 6969
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgala View Post
Thank you! I do think you are right. It would be ridiculous to give up a great opportunity because I fear tornadoes. I hVe worked really hard and it would be a shame to settle for less and give up on all my hard work because of the fear. There going to happen, and natural disasters happen every where. I guess as long as your smart about it we should be safe.
Virtually any area of Oklahoma is vulnerable to tornadoes. However, the odds that you will get hit by one are far less likely than you to be in a car accident.

Apartments don't have cellars for that reason. The odds are with them that they won't get hit.

What you could do is see what buildings in OKC (or whatever town you move to) are designated storm shelters. Usually people, with the type of warning we have nowdays, just head to the storm shelter and wait it out. The tornado event where you actually live may last for 5 minutes before it moves out of your area. After the all clear then you go home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2013, 06:07 PM
 
Location: Edmond, OK
4,035 posts, read 9,392,744 times
Reputation: 4191
All schools have shelters, and many are open to the public, however, I believe that is changing. Edmond is no longer allowing people (the public) to shelter in schools. I've also heard that another area district is doing the same, I just can't remember which one. I guess in todays world, they cannot allow strangers to just come into the buildings. I personally have never gone in a shelter in OK.

Our home does not have a shelter, but we do have our safe place in our home where we go. For us, it is a large closet in the interior of the house, under the staircase. That said, in the 6+ years I've lived here, I think we've gone to our safe place maybe twice and it was always a false alarm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2013, 10:25 PM
 
16 posts, read 30,483 times
Reputation: 11
Thank you, both! I feel a lot better knowing the public can not go into the school shelters, that's comforting especially during school hours and with children, it is a scary world today. That's good to know, now my fear is that if we have a safe place in our home or apartment the possibility of a tornado going strightenong through the home or apartment, is that a fear of your families? Maybe it's my inexperience and perception of tornadoes that make me fear the worst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2013, 03:03 AM
 
Location: Both sides of the Red River
780 posts, read 2,008,231 times
Reputation: 1100
Just a tip: when I lived in an apartment, I never lived on the first floor. So I always made plans to go to the clubhouse of whatever complex I was living in if there was ever a tornado imminent. Usually the apartment complex would give you some sort of access code to get inside I only had to do it once when I was living in Norman (and the storm fizzled out by the time it reached our part of town). Of course you can always make friends with some 1st floor neighbors lol.

I'm with everyone else, most tornadoes in Oklahoma are little more than sideshows for the news stations to lose their ever loving minds. But in the case that one forms up near you, it's always nice to have a plan just in case. Now, for the hail and wind....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top