U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 03:19 PM

5,468 posts, read 8,155,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1soonerfan View Post
For someone who could be quite harsh in your earlier posts about OKC, I am glad you came to visit for yourself. Your post is fair but nice; however, I want to address a couple of things.

I guess I never realized it, but yeah, I was driving around today and the first time I paid attention there is definitely a lot of trucks/SUV's here. I probably didn't realize it since I grew up in Texas, where it may be even worse.

Let me also address the "country" thing. OKC is the main business center of Central and Western OK, which is obviously a mainly rural area. So this will be the biggest influence on the city. Country isn't my thing either, but I don't think that you have to like country music or drive a truck to enjoy OKC. You would be surprised how many people here DO NOT. With that in mind, I would never want OKC to be like Nashville, I found it to be very Disneyesque/tourist trap. A "real" western city is going to be a bit gritty and will look something like OKC or Fort Worth. I sadly have to agree with the lack of good radio, but that is happening nationwide. I switched over to XM almost 2 years ago and haven't looked back.

In regards to Bricktown, let me add that all of the residential construction you saw going on was actually in Deep Deuce. They are considered separate areas by most measures. Deep Deuce is about 2-3 years away to become a true urban neighborhood, really the only one in Oklahoma. Personally I am thinking of buying a condo in that area. We will see. Also, while Bricktown is always hopping, I would say its more geared towards suburbanites, tourists, and people looking strictly for clubs. Not that there's a problem with that, of course. There tends to be more local bars in Automobile Alley, Midtown (where I live), Western Avenue, and to a lesser extent, the Plaza (although this area is more of an artsy type area). With that in mind, Bricktown by and large has the most foot traffic of any of these areas, if not the entire state. The streetcar you thought of will break ground next year and hopefully be up and running in 2016, last time I heard.

In any event, glad to hear you enjoyed yourself in OKC, even if you don't think you could ever live here. I'd be interested to know what restaurants you had here. Last people who visited me from the east coast keep bugging me on how good the food is here. Also, can I ask, do you work for the FAA? I just know a lot of folks go between here and DC, and nearly all of them work for the Monroney Center.
>>>>>
I would never want OKC to be like Nashville, I found it to be very Disneyesque/tourist trap. A "real" western city is going to be a bit gritty and will look something like OKC or Fort Worth.
<<<<<

Absolutely. Good insights.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 10:54 AM

10,992 posts, read 20,622,027 times
Here are some photos from my visit. I'll post more if people want.

Here are a few of the photos I took on my trip to OKC. OKC is actually a very photogenic city!

Old 03-18-2013, 11:19 AM

416 posts, read 604,983 times
^ I have always liked your work. Great lighting, crisp, great angles... everything. Nice work!

Old 03-19-2013, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Here are some photos from my visit. I'll post more if people want.

Here are a few of the photos I took on my trip to OKC. OKC is actually a very photogenic city!
Yeh, especially those blond/blue-eyed Belles!

Old 03-21-2013, 11:03 AM

10,431 posts, read 7,711,202 times
OKC is what it is. If you mixed up DFW, Wichita and Amarillo you basically have OKC. It has components of all of those places.

Quite frankly, DFW seems as country as OKC if you get away from the core of Dallas and maybe the more elite suburbs. I see lots more cowboy hats around town down there than I do in OKC.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:47 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,628,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
OKC is what it is. If you mixed up DFW, Wichita and Amarillo you basically have OKC. It has components of all of those places.

Quite frankly, DFW seems as country as OKC if you get away from the core of Dallas and maybe the more elite suburbs. I see lots more cowboy hats around town down there than I do in OKC.
A lot of people have compared OKC to Amarillo. Driving through on I-40 they both have that dirty truck stop feel. Once you are off I-40 though I don't see there being much of a comparison.

As for being country, OKC is so partly because its a blue collar city. Even in sophisticated, polished cities like Charlotte, the blue collar population has more of a country lifestyle.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:32 PM

5,192 posts, read 4,655,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Yeh, especially those blond/blue-eyed Belles!
Yes. Let's hear it for those beautiful Oklahoma women!

(Since I have made some negative comments in the past about Oklahoma and OKC, let me say I mean this 100% sincerely. Okie gals are as pretty as they come.)

Old 03-21-2013, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Yes. Let's hear it for those beautiful Oklahoma women!

(Since I have made some negative comments in the past about Oklahoma and OKC, let me say I mean this 100% sincerely. Okie gals are as pretty as they come.)

Old 03-22-2013, 02:54 PM

242 posts, read 687,617 times
Great photos, love those aerials of Bricktown and Deep Deuce.

If you go to Bricktown you're going to see country people and pickups because the whole district is designed to profit off of rural people looking for an experience of "the big city." It has been an extremely successful model.

People from Kansas, Arkansas, Western OK and Texas have OKC as the closest big city, and the packaged urban experience for tourists includes Toby Keith's and Bass Pro Shop, which makes them feel comfortable. It's smart business.

Go across the train tracks to the CBD and you'll see BMW and Lexus, go over the bridge to Deep Deuce and you'll see Prius.

On the other hand, if you want to experience the more dignified western culture of OKC you can go to the Stockyards or Western Heritage Museum.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:12 PM

2,572 posts, read 3,717,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcpulse View Post
You might want to note, kcmo, that a crap-ton of rural dwellers drive to OKC for the Thunder game. Some of the plates I saw in downtown OKC that same night were from Lincoln County, Grady County and Logan County. There are many working farms in those counties.
I know you used to be able to tell what country an Oklahoma license plate was issued, but I didn't think you could do that anymore. I was from McIntosh County and our plates were MO-1234 If your tag number was lower than 3000 your tag came from the Eufaula tag agency, the higher numbers were from the Checotah tag agency. With the new tags I'm always wondering what county they are from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City