U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 08:40 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,660,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ou_norman View Post
Great photos, love those aerials of Bricktown and Deep Deuce.

If you go to Bricktown you're going to see country people and pickups because the whole district is designed to profit off of rural people looking for an experience of "the big city." It has been an extremely successful model.

People from Kansas, Arkansas, Western OK and Texas have OKC as the closest big city, and the packaged urban experience for tourists includes Toby Keith's and Bass Pro Shop, which makes them feel comfortable. It's smart business.

Go across the train tracks to the CBD and you'll see BMW and Lexus, go over the bridge to Deep Deuce and you'll see Prius.

On the other hand, if you want to experience the more dignified western culture of OKC you can go to the Stockyards or Western Heritage Museum.
Good points. A lot of locals don't like going to Bricktown for those reasons. It is very oriented to tourists and people coming in from the surrounding rural areas, or the college crowd looking for a dance club. Unfortunately OKC doesn't really have any other nightlife districts. There is a pretty good chance a district like the Plaza district or Film Row will grow into a more organic nightlife district in the future, but its not there yet. A lot of people I know drive up to Tulsa to the Blue Dome or Brady districts.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 08:48 PM

498 posts, read 1,462,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
I know you used to be able to tell what country an Oklahoma license plate was issued, but I didn't think you could do that anymore. I was from McIntosh County and our plates were MO-1234 If your tag number was lower than 3000 your tag came from the Eufaula tag agency, the higher numbers were from the Checotah tag agency. With the new tags I'm always wondering what county they are from.
Oklahoma recently started issuing license plates with a new month sticker. It now identifies the month by number on the left corner, then the abbreviation of the county on the right corner with the county's full name on the bottom.

My relatives in Bartlesville got a new car with the new month sticker that read 07 (July), WS (Washington County) and then Washington on the bottom. I also saw a lot of vehicles downtown with the same stickers.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:14 PM

2,572 posts, read 3,726,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcpulse View Post
Oklahoma recently started issuing license plates with a new month sticker. It now identifies the month by number on the left corner, then the abbreviation of the county on the right corner with the county's full name on the bottom.

My relatives in Bartlesville got a new car with the new month sticker that read 07 (July), WS (Washington County) and then Washington on the bottom. I also saw a lot of vehicles downtown with the same stickers.
Hey, thanks for the information. I really liked it when you could see what county folks were from. Glad to see Oklahoma adopting this new system.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:05 PM

9,835 posts, read 13,189,144 times
Default Maybe OKC Will Glean Some Knowledge From Des Moines IA

Introduction - 15 U.S. Cities' Emerging Downtowns - Forbes

OKC And Tulsa Oklahoma Need To Direct theirs Focus On What Des Moines Iowa Is Doing In It's CBD alot of great projects going forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City