U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 10:44 PM

17 posts, read 25,603 times

Advertisements

Hi guys. My wife and I are coming to OU health sciences center for medical residency, in our late twenties and looking to start a family. We'll have income of 100k combined and no school debt, and will double that income after 3 years, hopefully don't have to move again. Where are some decent places to live that isn't more than a twenty minute commute to OUHSC? We'd prefer neighborhoods or streets with trees and not too cookie cutter or barren? House doesn't have to be huge (2500 sq ft with 0.5 to an acre of land would be perfect). Not a fan of McMansions, palladian windows and brick+vinyl facades. What suburbs and neighborhoods should we look at? I'm from southern OK originally so have very little sense of what's around OKC, although was a bit underwhelmed by Moore on a recent trip. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Gumbo777; 03-26-2013 at 10:58 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 12:35 AM

780 posts, read 2,069,594 times
If you didn't care for the cookie cutter feel of Moore, stick to the inner city neighborhoods. Heritage Hills, Edgemere Park, Mesta Park, Crown Heights. I would probably even throw in Nichols Hills and Belle Isle as well. None of these areas are more than 15 minutes from the medical center. These areas have the most character and have lots of tree lined streets. The only downside is lots are kinda small, but you aren't going to find a lot of decent acreage properties within 20 minutes of OUHSC. And I am noticing just playing around on zillow that inventory in these area is tight.

If you do decide to have some kiddos, you will be sending them to OKCPS. While the elementary schools that serve these areas are good, most people go private beyond that. Just something to consider.

Another option, if you are willing to stretch out your commute a bit, is East Edmond and NE OKC area (Oakdale/Apple Valley/River Oaks). This would fufill your large lot and trees requirement, though it will be further than anything in the city from OUHSC and would may have to go the custom route if you want to avoid the "cookie cutter" feel.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:10 AM

Thanks. How bad is the commute from East Edmond near I-35 to OUHSC? Will be driving in at 5:30 in the morning and heading back around 6pm.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:18 AM

1,463 posts, read 2,905,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo777 View Post
Hi guys. My wife and I are coming to OU health sciences center for medical residency, in our late twenties and looking to start a family. We'll have income of 100k combined and no school debt, and will double that income after 3 years, hopefully don't have to move again. Where are some decent places to live that isn't more than a twenty minute commute to OUHSC? We'd prefer neighborhoods or streets with trees and not too cookie cutter or barren? House doesn't have to be huge (2500 sq ft with 0.5 to an acre of land would be perfect). Not a fan of McMansions, palladian windows and brick+vinyl facades. What suburbs and neighborhoods should we look at? I'm from southern OK originally so have very little sense of what's around OKC, although was a bit underwhelmed by Moore on a recent trip. Thanks for the help.
Congrats on your move...ever thought of moving to Connecticut? We have Yale University and the wonderful hospital, Farmington Medical Center, UCONN Medical center, Hartford Hospital..all wonderful places to do your residency especially Yale.
Good Luck with the move....

Old 03-27-2013, 06:17 AM

4,035 posts, read 9,652,270 times
Quote:
Thanks. How bad is the commute from East Edmond near I-35 to OUHSC? Will be driving in at 5:30 in the morning and heading back around 6pm.
Not bad at all, especially in the morning. I live in on the east side of Edmond, but further north than soonerfan suggested and I can easily make it to the med center in 20 minutes. I've made it from my house to the med center in morning traffic in that amount of time. At 5:30 it should be easy. Coming home might take a bit longer. The key is to just not be too far from the interstate.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1soonerfan View Post
If you didn't care for the cookie cutter feel of Moore, stick to the inner city neighborhoods. Heritage Hills, Edgemere Park, Mesta Park, Crown Heights. I would probably even throw in Nichols Hills and Belle Isle as well. None of these areas are more than 15 minutes from the medical center. These areas have the most character and have lots of tree lined streets. The only downside is lots are kinda small, but you aren't going to find a lot of decent acreage properties within 20 minutes of OUHSC. And I am noticing just playing around on zillow that inventory in these area is tight.

If you do decide to have some kiddos, you will be sending them to OKCPS. While the elementary schools that serve these areas are good, most people go private beyond that. Just something to consider.

Another option, if you are willing to stretch out your commute a bit, is East Edmond and NE OKC area (Oakdale/Apple Valley/River Oaks). This would fufill your large lot and trees requirement, though it will be further than anything in the city from OUHSC and would may have to go the custom route if you want to avoid the "cookie cutter" feel.
Great suggestions.
Nichols Hills is out of reach on our resident salaries. I think we can handle something under $400k since we have savings for 20% deposit. Prices around Belle Isle sound doable. Out of pure curiosity how do schools in Nichols Hills compare to Edmond?

Old 03-27-2013, 12:29 PM

10,455 posts, read 7,722,087 times
Quote:
Great suggestions.
Nichols Hills is out of reach on our resident salaries. I think we can handle something under $400k since we have savings for 20% deposit. Prices around Belle Isle sound doable. Out of pure curiosity how do schools in Nichols Hills compare to Edmond?
You will want Edmond in the long run. I would recommend looking in about a 3 mile radius around Frontier City going every direction but southwest. You have the trees, hills, 20 minute commmute, Edmond and Oakdale schools.

For a starter home I would look hard at all the additions along Memorial road west of I-35 as well as 33rd and 15th street.

This would give you the option of I-35 or Broadway extension. If you need cheaper than that, look at the areas around Oklahoma Christian University and east of Oklahoma Christian off of Memorial.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:57 PM

780 posts, read 2,069,594 times
Quote:
Great suggestions.
Nichols Hills is zoned to OKCPS. The elementary school there is very highly rated. For secondary education, however, most people in that area do magnet, private, or move to the suburbs. There are some great private schools in that area, but obviously it will depend on your personal budget. And a lot of things could change by the time your child reaches middle school age (full disclosure--I have no kids). A similar situation exists for Belle Isle, as well.

Edmond has very good schools and you wouldn't have to worry about switching up like you would in Nichols Hills.

Belle Isle is a very nice area, probably my favorite neighborhood in the city outside the "core" area. If you can afford it and be okay with the school issue, I would definitely recommend it. If not, East Edmond would be a good alternative. And considering you would be leaving work so early, the commute would be doable. It might be tough to do the areas I mentioned earlier in NE OKC under 400K.

Last edited by #1soonerfan; 03-27-2013 at 01:48 PM..

Old 03-28-2013, 01:18 AM

7,306 posts, read 12,793,268 times
Edmond. Stay out of downtown OKC if you have children. That area just sucks for raising a family. It won't take long for you to realize that OUHSC is right in the middle of OKC's ghetto area. Not some place you want to hang out in after dark.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:41 AM

242 posts, read 687,735 times
Agree with all the city neighborhoods that have been mentioned. Check out the Mayfair neighborhood too. Around 40th-50th and May. It is a 1950s neighborhood with a lot of interesting old local businesses. Also Linwood near 19th and I-44. The general rule is to stay west of I-235, but I know many medical professionals and some with families that have chosen to buy in Lincoln Terrace between Lincoln and I-235. All of the inner city is changing for the better faster than anyone realizes.

If you don't have kids yet, you don't have to worry about schools yet- Although Wilson Elementary (Mesta Park) is very strong and the new downtown elementary will be open by the time you have school-age kids.

You can get a good neighborhood in the inner north side with tree-lined streets and homes with lots of character. In the suburbs, you can really only look in downtown Edmond or central Norman for that kind of neighborhood. Commutes are longer from Norman (30-40 min at rush hour), but the city neighborhoods are a lot better and more extensive there.

Depending on how long you plan to stay in Oklahoma- Property values are increasing faster and supply is a lot tighter in the inner north side of OKC than in the suburban markets. Even homes in transitional neighborhoods that need major renovation are going off the market within two weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City