Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 07:59 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,495,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
As I said, I visited for the graduation of a relative who comes from a very religious, fundamentalist, Pentecostal family. She was graduating from a school that was the same. Oral Roberts University.

I did not get a "city tour" and to be fair, (to both myself, and to Tulsa) I was not a tourist.

There are some beautiful, stately and quaint colleges and universities. ORU has to be one of the ugliest campuses I have ever seen. Horrible architecture. Sorry. ORU - not cute. People were also unfriendly. I don't know how much of the city ascribes to that brand of Christianity, but as a group, I found them judgmental and unfriendly. That could be the religion - or the region. I don't know. I generally find southerners to be friendly.

Celebrating at a "Chick Filet"?(sp?) Not cute. Chain hotel? Not cute. Not quaint. Not my idea of a graduation party. I'm sure there are better places to eat in the city, but these relatives were worried that the restaurant might serve alcoholic beverages.

I'll look at your pictures, though. I always enjoy exploring pretty, charming and CUTE cities.

Thank you for posting them!

You really needed me to act as your 'scout' on
that trip to Tulsa Oklahoma...

I'm surprised that you didn't use the services of
a Travel Agent.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 08:03 PM

I HOPE THAT everyone knows that the OP chooses to
move to Sacramento CA instead of OKC...

Old 03-08-2016, 08:06 PM

2,905 posts, read 3,480,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
Well, I don't really know where to start, but I guess I will begin with the fact that you have started off by insulting the city and residents numerous times in this post. "Dare you say cute?" really? Are you implying there's no cute areas/homes here? "Shudder"? Sorry if our city makes you shudder, but since you've never even been here, how can you say that? I hope it's just a temporary stint for you as well, since you obviously have your mind made up about OKC when you really have no idea about this city. Yes, I said city. It is in fact a city, with well over a million people in the metro area. Yes, OKC is night and day difference from SF, but appreciate OKC for what it does have to offer, not what it does not have. I'm sure you weren't intending to be insulting, but you really were and if you come here with that attitude, you will not get a warm Oklahoma reception.

Now, I will try to answer some of your questions.

OKC is a very conservative city. You will have the best luck in finding more liberal minded people in areas like the Paseo, the Plaza District, or Midtown. There should be lots of duplexes or small apartments in those areas. The area to the west of your work is Nichols Hills, a very wealthy city within the city. Lots of old money there. Just to the north of Nichols Hills, is the Village. Not nearly as nice, but you could probably find something there to rent. To the north and east, it's not so great. To the south, there are the areas of Crown Heights and Edgemere Park. You could probably find either a garage apartment or maybe a duplex or quadplex or possibly a small complex in those areas. Really all along the Western Ave Corridor, you should be able to find some place to rent. You will not find many apartments above store fronts in OKC. That is just not something we have here. You might find a few, but not many. As far as shopping, your work will put you very near the best shopping areas in the city. Whole Foods is located just a few blocks south of your work, on Western.

We have a growning arts community here, with some wonderful galleries and museums. We have quite a few arts festivals each year, including one in the Paseo. I believe that in both the Paseo and the Plaza District do month art walks. As for food, Oklahoma City has some wonderful restaurants, with plenty of ethnic options.
Liberals are like that, they think their opinions are the only ones that matter and that they need to impose their opinions on other people.

Old 03-08-2016, 09:07 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,742,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
Liberals are like that, they think their opinions are the only ones that matter and that they need to impose their opinions on other people.
In Oklahoma City, liberals barely have a voice. There is a small liberal community here concentrated in the downtown area but its voice is silenced by the extreme right wing majority. Here, it's the right wing imposing its beliefs on other people. It's why we have 3.2 beer/no alcohol sales on Sunday, past 9PM, or refrigerated, the strictest marijuana laws in the nation, and a legislature that thinks the most important issue facing the state during a billion dollar budget shortfall is a Ten Commandments monument. I think the best cities are moderate cities that are friendly to both liberals and conservatives. While I am liberal, San Francisco is very one-sided in the opposite political direction compared to OKC. I wouldn't have an issue living there but its best when people of different political and religious persuasions can co-exist.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:10 PM

23,880 posts, read 32,163,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahomagirl74 View Post
I totally agree ORU campus is hideous! That area of town is, for that matter. The links above are great and really give you a better idea what our fabulous city has to offer. Its a shame you didn't have more time or information to see the other parts of town, the unique architecture, quaint shops, funky neighborhoods, etc. I love Tulsa.

gave you rep because the Tulsa that you described, would have been exactly what I would have wanted to see!

I was really only there for my cousin's graduation. They planned everything. And. I have told you what sort of people they are.

Quaint and funky, anything unique and quirky - that is what they avoid.

So, NEXT time I am in Tulsa, I will be sure to let you know!

The ORU area was creepy. I felt as though I had landed in another country.....No. Make that planet.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:14 AM

2,905 posts, read 3,480,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
In Oklahoma City, liberals barely have a voice. There is a small liberal community here concentrated in the downtown area but its voice is silenced by the extreme right wing majority. Here, it's the right wing imposing its beliefs on other people. It's why we have 3.2 beer/no alcohol sales on Sunday, past 9PM, or refrigerated, the strictest marijuana laws in the nation, and a legislature that thinks the most important issue facing the state during a billion dollar budget shortfall is a Ten Commandments monument. I think the best cities are moderate cities that are friendly to both liberals and conservatives. While I am liberal, San Francisco is very one-sided in the opposite political direction compared to OKC. I wouldn't have an issue living there but its best when people of different political and religious persuasions can co-exist.
Liberals are nasty people who really don't care if their defamatory comments put peoples' lives in danger (EG: Darren Wilson).

Old 03-19-2016, 03:14 AM

108 posts, read 119,725 times
This thread has been running for over 3 years! Holy cow! I'm adding a short story about the frustrations of a couple who left SF. Albeit they left SF for Europe, one need not leave anywhere in the USA for anywhere outside the USA unless they really don't want to find another, more appealing place to live in the USA. There are afterall many, many places to choose from in this great country so it's just a matter of finding the place you like the most, right, if you're not there already? From my own experience of having lived in SF 30 years ago when one could afford to share a flat with a couple roomates, work as a bike messenger to earn a living, and still have money left over to eat out on weekends, the city changed a long time ago and IMO there is nothing "cute" about it anymore. Cute was that you could walk down the street and bump into someone you knew, or say hi to fellow residents you didn't know because they were friendly, or get a $2 burrito in a funky little taqueria late night that tasted great and hit the spot. Cute were old hippy VW buses and bugs that dominated the city, like my old 64 that I used to have to park at the top of a hill so I could bump start it; and cute was that you could walk onto a baseball diamond on a Sat morning and play a pick-up game with people you'd never met. The cutest of all were the fantastic Mission district cafes that served layered lattes in tall glasses with handles. Just looking at the layers was cool. I don't know, but if you ask me, ain't nothing much cute about SF anymore.

https://www.yahoo.com/style/left-ame...ail&soc_trk=ma

Old 03-19-2016, 03:16 AM

For those who don't open the link. Here is the intro...

San Francisco was killing me.
I would say it was the naked meth head touching himself in front of my office window that did me in, but we still stayed for another six months after that.
I was making more money than I will most likely ever make again, but still, I was barely scraping by.

Oh yeah, REAL cute!

Old 03-21-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyspring View Post
This thread has been running for over 3 years! Holy cow! I'm adding a short story about the frustrations of a couple who left SF. Albeit they left SF for Europe, one need not leave anywhere in the USA for anywhere outside the USA unless they really don't want to find another, more appealing place to live in the USA. There are afterall many, many places to choose from in this great country so it's just a matter of finding the place you like the most, right, if you're not there already? From my own experience of having lived in SF 30 years ago when one could afford to share a flat with a couple roomates, work as a bike messenger to earn a living, and still have money left over to eat out on weekends, the city changed a long time ago and IMO there is nothing "cute" about it anymore. Cute was that you could walk down the street and bump into someone you knew, or say hi to fellow residents you didn't know because they were friendly, or get a $2 burrito in a funky little taqueria late night that tasted great and hit the spot. Cute were old hippy VW buses and bugs that dominated the city, like my old 64 that I used to have to park at the top of a hill so I could bump start it; and cute was that you could walk onto a baseball diamond on a Sat morning and play a pick-up game with people you'd never met. The cutest of all were the fantastic Mission district cafes that served layered lattes in tall glasses with handles. Just looking at the layers was cool. I don't know, but if you ask me, ain't nothing much cute about SF anymore.

https://www.yahoo.com/style/left-ame...ail&soc_trk=ma
I remember the first time that I sat foot into San Francisco
CA , it was 1976 ( a great big city ) with a lot of Caucasian
female hippies with flowers in theirs hair.San Francisco
was as confusing as any city could get with it's Cable Cars
& Street Cars & Subways. The only saving grace for me is
that I did the Military Bit and lived on Y.B.I. & Government
Island until I moved to the Grand Lake ...area of Oakland CA.Luxury Living that didn't cost you a Kidney & A Arm & A Leg.And the Great sections of Oakland are just across the......From San Francisco , but don't you ever BE LAME ENOUGH TO SET FOOT INTO THE BAD OAKLAND......
NEIGHORHOODS.Me being the dummy that I am did it and saw some very scary things ( like ) A Murder of a young white man at a Kool and The Gang Concert in 1979 across the street from Laney College which I briefly attended. During
the same concert I Was Surrounded By 7 or 8 Members of a
Street Gang that were doing a lot of Robberies at the concert
, but glory be to GOD I must to have looked like I Was BROKE.
Typed from an Android Smart Phone may not Format Properly.

Last edited by Howest2008; 03-21-2016 at 02:25 PM..

Old 03-22-2016, 03:12 PM

[quote=Howest2008;43434949]I remember the first time that I sat foot into San Francisco
CA , it was 1976

That was the first year I set foot in SF too! I was a young squirt and all I remember were lots and lots of interesting looking guys in either tight jeans or tight jeans with leather chaps and they all used some method to highlight their "family jewels," and they all had mustaches, ha ha, think the "Village People" look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City