U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-15-2013, 09:36 AM
 
39 posts, read 65,518 times
Reputation: 39

Advertisements

I'm 20, from San Francisco and will likely be moving to OKC around September (shudder). I know this will be a huge change from what I'm used to, but I'm really trying to make the best of it and look on the bright side. I will be working near Western and 73rd, but will have a car. I'd like to live relatively close to work, but I've never been to OKC, so I'm not too familiar with the area. I've heard the Plaza and Paseo districts are the most progressive. I'd like to live in a studio apartment, preferably for under $900 a month (at least it's far cheaper than SF!), and wouldn't mind being close to a nice grocery store (like Whole Foods or another natural market). If possible, I'd like to live in an urban-feeling area, maybe above a storefront or something like that...I don't particularly want to be in some huge apartment/condo complex off a highway. Any tips? Which areas should I be looking at? I've read some things about OKC experiencing a bit of a Renaissance at the moment, and from the little research I've done online, it does seem like there's a growing arts community and more interest in food, from local coffee roasters to ethnic cuisine. Please tell me this is the truth! I'm hoping this is just a temporary stint, as I'm definitely a city girl at heart (have lived in NYC, Seattle, SF, Washington DC, Chicago, etc.) and enjoy shopping, going to farmers' markets, museums, etc. Any like-minded OKC residents out there who could help steer me in the right direction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-15-2013, 02:31 PM
 
Location: Edmond, OK
4,036 posts, read 9,194,019 times
Reputation: 4180
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfgirl101 View Post
I'm 20, from San Francisco and will likely be moving to OKC around September (shudder). I know this will be a huge change from what I'm used to, but I'm really trying to make the best of it and look on the bright side. I will be working near Western and 73rd, but will have a car. I'd like to live relatively close to work, but I've never been to OKC, so I'm not too familiar with the area. I've heard the Plaza and Paseo districts are the most progressive. I'd like to live in a studio apartment, preferably for under $900 a month (at least it's far cheaper than SF!), and wouldn't mind being close to a nice grocery store (like Whole Foods or another natural market). If possible, I'd like to live in an urban-feeling area, maybe above a storefront or something like that...I don't particularly want to be in some huge apartment/condo complex off a highway. Any tips? Which areas should I be looking at? I've read some things about OKC experiencing a bit of a Renaissance at the moment, and from the little research I've done online, it does seem like there's a growing arts community and more interest in food, from local coffee roasters to ethnic cuisine. Please tell me this is the truth! I'm hoping this is just a temporary stint, as I'm definitely a city girl at heart (have lived in NYC, Seattle, SF, Washington DC, Chicago, etc.) and enjoy shopping, going to farmers' markets, museums, etc. Any like-minded OKC residents out there who could help steer me in the right direction?
Well, I don't really know where to start, but I guess I will begin with the fact that you have started off by insulting the city and residents numerous times in this post. "Dare you say cute?" really? Are you implying there's no cute areas/homes here? "Shudder"? Sorry if our city makes you shudder, but since you've never even been here, how can you say that? I hope it's just a temporary stint for you as well, since you obviously have your mind made up about OKC when you really have no idea about this city. Yes, I said city. It is in fact a city, with well over a million people in the metro area. Yes, OKC is night and day difference from SF, but appreciate OKC for what it does have to offer, not what it does not have. I'm sure you weren't intending to be insulting, but you really were and if you come here with that attitude, you will not get a warm Oklahoma reception.

Now, I will try to answer some of your questions.

OKC is a very conservative city. You will have the best luck in finding more liberal minded people in areas like the Paseo, the Plaza District, or Midtown. There should be lots of duplexes or small apartments in those areas. The area to the west of your work is Nichols Hills, a very wealthy city within the city. Lots of old money there. Just to the north of Nichols Hills, is the Village. Not nearly as nice, but you could probably find something there to rent. To the north and east, it's not so great. To the south, there are the areas of Crown Heights and Edgemere Park. You could probably find either a garage apartment or maybe a duplex or quadplex or possibly a small complex in those areas. Really all along the Western Ave Corridor, you should be able to find some place to rent. You will not find many apartments above store fronts in OKC. That is just not something we have here. You might find a few, but not many. As far as shopping, your work will put you very near the best shopping areas in the city. Whole Foods is located just a few blocks south of your work, on Western.

We have a growning arts community here, with some wonderful galleries and museums. We have quite a few arts festivals each year, including one in the Paseo. I believe that in both the Paseo and the Plaza District do month art walks. As for food, Oklahoma City has some wonderful restaurants, with plenty of ethnic options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2013, 02:49 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC (in my mind)
7,946 posts, read 15,042,083 times
Reputation: 4482
OKC has a very negative stereotype that is ingrained into the conscience of the nation. I am sure you will find it underwhelming compared to San Francisco, but I also think OKC offers more than you probably think it does if you believe the stereotype. Inside the I-44/I-35/I-240 loop is fairly liberal. Outside of that it gets red fast. When you come here, please don't expect SF but also put the stereotype aside and make your own judgment about the city. It might surprise you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2013, 07:07 PM
 
Location: Stillwater, Oklahoma
14,957 posts, read 13,328,314 times
Reputation: 4569
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfgirl101 View Post
I'm 20, from San Francisco and will likely be moving to OKC around September (shudder). I know this will be a huge change from what I'm used to, but I'm really trying to make the best of it and look on the bright side. I will be working near Western and 73rd, but will have a car. I'd like to live relatively close to work, but I've never been to OKC, so I'm not too familiar with the area. I've heard the Plaza and Paseo districts are the most progressive. I'd like to live in a studio apartment, preferably for under $900 a month (at least it's far cheaper than SF!), and wouldn't mind being close to a nice grocery store (like Whole Foods or another natural market). If possible, I'd like to live in an urban-feeling area, maybe above a storefront or something like that...I don't particularly want to be in some huge apartment/condo complex off a highway. Any tips? Which areas should I be looking at? I've read some things about OKC experiencing a bit of a Renaissance at the moment, and from the little research I've done online, it does seem like there's a growing arts community and more interest in food, from local coffee roasters to ethnic cuisine. Please tell me this is the truth! I'm hoping this is just a temporary stint, as I'm definitely a city girl at heart (have lived in NYC, Seattle, SF, Washington DC, Chicago, etc.) and enjoy shopping, going to farmers' markets, museums, etc. Any like-minded OKC residents out there who could help steer me in the right direction?
A good district for you to live in is the one who elected a gay guy for state senator. His winning margin wasn't even close. I'm not sure where the district is but it may include the Plaza area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2013, 10:06 PM
 
Location: Dangling from a mooses antlers
7,311 posts, read 12,198,036 times
Reputation: 6138
There is nothing cute about Oklahoma City. Nothing at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2013, 10:26 PM
 
39 posts, read 65,518 times
Reputation: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
Well, I don't really know where to start, but I guess I will begin with the fact that you have started off by insulting the city and residents numerous times in this post. "Dare you say cute?" really? Are you implying there's no cute areas/homes here? "Shudder"? Sorry if our city makes you shudder, but since you've never even been here, how can you say that? I hope it's just a temporary stint for you as well, since you obviously have your mind made up about OKC when you really have no idea about this city. Yes, I said city. It is in fact a city, with well over a million people in the metro area. Yes, OKC is night and day difference from SF, but appreciate OKC for what it does have to offer, not what it does not have. I'm sure you weren't intending to be insulting, but you really were and if you come here with that attitude, you will not get a warm Oklahoma reception.

Now, I will try to answer some of your questions.

OKC is a very conservative city. You will have the best luck in finding more liberal minded people in areas like the Paseo, the Plaza District, or Midtown. There should be lots of duplexes or small apartments in those areas. The area to the west of your work is Nichols Hills, a very wealthy city within the city. Lots of old money there. Just to the north of Nichols Hills, is the Village. Not nearly as nice, but you could probably find something there to rent. To the north and east, it's not so great. To the south, there are the areas of Crown Heights and Edgemere Park. You could probably find either a garage apartment or maybe a duplex or quadplex or possibly a small complex in those areas. Really all along the Western Ave Corridor, you should be able to find some place to rent. You will not find many apartments above store fronts in OKC. That is just not something we have here. You might find a few, but not many. As far as shopping, your work will put you very near the best shopping areas in the city. Whole Foods is located just a few blocks south of your work, on Western.

We have a growning arts community here, with some wonderful galleries and museums. We have quite a few arts festivals each year, including one in the Paseo. I believe that in both the Paseo and the Plaza District do month art walks. As for food, Oklahoma City has some wonderful restaurants, with plenty of ethnic options.
I really did not mean to offend anyone with my statements. It will be a HUGE change for me, and I really do love SF (by far my favorite city of all the ones I've lived in). I know OKC is a true city, not a town or village, and as I said, I've read quite a bit about its recent growth. I'm glad to hear you reaffirm this. I think I'm just having a tough time accepting my leaving California and a truly "cosmopolitan" city like SF. That being said, I do want to try to go into this with an open mind and open heart...that's why I'm trying to give myself the best possible experience by living in an area of the city that I will "fit in" to more. This move will be a huge lifestyle change overall (I'm used to walking/taking the bus everywhere, etc.). Thank you for the information you provided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2013, 12:10 AM
 
Location: The State Of California
9,467 posts, read 12,305,014 times
Reputation: 3591
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfgirl101 View Post
I'm 20, from San Francisco and will likely be moving to OKC around September (shudder). I know this will be a huge change from what I'm used to, but I'm really trying to make the best of it and look on the bright side. I will be working near Western and 73rd, but will have a car. I'd like to live relatively close to work, but I've never been to OKC, so I'm not too familiar with the area. I've heard the Plaza and Paseo districts are the most progressive.
What is the most liberal city in Oklahoma?

Answer: What is the most liberal city in Oklahoma

Probably Norman. The University of Oklahoma is located there. Norman Oklahoma is sort of a ' Citcolown ' 1/3 City 1/3 College 1/3 Town my sister who is 6 years younger than myself graduated from OU , but anywho reqarding the (2) big cities Tulsa and Oklahoma City Oklahoma go to Mid Town Central City Sections of either cities which would be the Hippest Place in Oklahoma with a big city buzz.howest2008

Quote:
I'd like to live in a studio apartment, preferably for under $900 a month


You could live in a McMansion for 900.00 a month

Quote:
(at least it's far cheaper than SF!), and wouldn't mind being close to a nice grocery store (like Whole Foods or another natural market). If possible, I'd like to live in an urban-feeling area, maybe above a storefront or something like that...I don't particularly want to be in some huge apartment/condo complex off a highway. Any tips? Which areas should I be looking at? I've read some things about OKC experiencing a bit of a Renaissance at the moment, and from the little research I've done online, it does seem like there's a growing arts community and more interest in food, from local coffee roasters to ethnic cuisine. Please tell me this is the truth! I'm hoping this is just a temporary stint, as I'm definitely a city girl at heart (have lived in NYC, Seattle, SF, Washington DC, Chicago, etc.) and enjoy shopping, going to farmers' markets, museums, etc. Any like-minded OKC residents out there who could help steer me in the right direction?
If you are a Renaissance Girl you can swing this by lumping Tulsa in with OKC either cities by itself doesn't stand as a very Urban intense experience but lumped together are enuff for people from the bestwest coast to live with and be satisfied with and handle. I'm a African-American CaliOklahomian who left Tulsa OK in 1976 and have visited 40 of the 50 United States of America , i have live in 6 or 7 states..and cities.Long Beach CA 14 or 15 months/San Francisco Bay Area ..Government Island.....YBI San Francisco....Oakland Lake Merritt Jackson Street Lux Apartments .......Vallejo CAOKC and Tulsa dosen't stack up to Honolulu Hawaii....... Anchorage AK........... San Francisco....Oakland Hills and Lake Merritt as a place to live in , but as far as I'm Concerned it's where my family is and I'm proud to retire there in 1 to 4 years at the age of 62 or 65 years young , after not seeing my family for 10 years 2002 to 2011 I now visit every year and will be making a viisit Sep 2013 if you choose PM me in Sep and I will pack a picnic lunch and meet you at a Uptown or Downtown pocket park.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2013, 12:13 AM
 
35,108 posts, read 40,221,218 times
Reputation: 62050
I didn't think the politically minded were allowed to use the word "cute" to describe a city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2013, 07:48 AM
 
39 posts, read 65,518 times
Reputation: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I didn't think the politically minded were allowed to use the word "cute" to describe a city.
By cute, I meant in an area that is quaint, charming, etc. Perhaps near stores, small restaurants, coffeeshops, etc. I certainly would describe my current SF neighborhood as cute, and feel it is not derogatory by any means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2013, 10:28 AM
 
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
533 posts, read 1,522,024 times
Reputation: 384
Really doesn't seem like you should move to Oklahoma City to me. You're just setting yourself up for disappointment and failure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top