Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 07:26 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
Yes, that is the video I'm talking about. Believe it or not it was on the local news in Tulsa just recently. The city leaders in Tulsa want to have a similar video. They were commenting on how nice of a job OKC did with theirs and how drab and boring ours (Tulsa's) is.

I drove through OKC yesterday, but didn't have a chance to look around much. But over the last 5 years or so, it seems every time I go to OKC I'm so surprised how much the city is changing. OKC is planting the seeds of progress, and in 5 years all this talk about OKC being dull, boring and ugly will only be a distant memory, the OKC I knew in the 1980's already is. We are witnessing OKC's renaissance. And those who are pointing their fingers at Oklahoma city need to remember they are pointing three fingers back at them selves..
I agree. The video really has a "wow" factor for those who don't know anything about OKC. It has actually received quite a bit of criticism in City vs. City because the OKC prevented in the video is so different from the stereotype people think it cannot possibly be genuine. If you've spent any time there you know that people just can't see past shallow stereotypes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 07:48 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,764,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I agree. The video really has a "wow" factor for those who don't know anything about OKC. It has actually received quite a bit of criticism in City vs. City because the OKC prevented in the video is so different from the stereotype people think it cannot possibly be genuine. If you've spent any time there you know that people just can't see past shallow stereotypes.
This is so true. When we first told our friends and family we were moving here they looked at us like we had just sprouted a 3rd eye or something. We got all the questions like, why would you move there? Do they have a mall? Do they have museums? Do they have a freeway? and statements like, "they have blizzards all winter" and "OKC gets hit by tornadoes all the time, you'll get killed". And much of this was from relatives that live in north Texas. Geez, they act like the entire climate changes and all civilization ceases the minute you cross the Red River. Then when they actually came to visit they were shocked by what they saw. My sister in law who has only lived in Philly and Houston, just couldn't believe it. She just kept saying, "this is just so much more than I expected It's so nice. I could actually live here". My poor dad still can't get it. I still get calls all winter asking if we are getting lots of snow and during the spring the calls are to ask if we are safe.

But the biggest thing they still cannot get their heads around is the fact that we have an NBA team. I still get comments from some relatives that aren't big basketball fans like, what are the Thunder? When we respond "our NBA team" they say stuff like "oh, what are they, some minor league team for some team?" or "OKC can't have an NBA team". I just tell them they need to watch ESPN sometime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City