Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 07:19 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,126 times

Advertisements

I hate it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 12:15 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,981,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I hate it here.
That really sounds like a personal problem and I'm pretty sure no one here really cares one way or another. We all find things to do, we all have fun, we all enjoy life, we all have friends, we all have careers, we all are rarely miserable...... If you are incapable of finding something to enjoy and be pleasant about I don't see why it is the community's fault. I hope you find a job and a community where you will be happy, but I doubt it exists.........no matter where you go, you and your attitude will be there with you.

Old 06-16-2013, 01:05 PM

Well, you can believe what you want. I had someone email me asking me why I don't like it here, and here is what I said:

I'm from Atlanta. I moved here because I had to for a job. Had no idea it would be the way it is here. So for me, its pretty simple and boils down to a couple of things.

First, I'm divorced and this is not the place you want to be single and trying to date. Its been nearly impossible for me to meet an attractive woman that I want to go out with a 2nd time. They get married at 22, have kids, and are divorced with kids by 30. They typically don't want more. The divorce rate is extremely high here. Thats huge for me because I want my own family.

Second, the weather here is very bad as far as I'm concerned. I moved here in late September, and it was pretty good through November. Then, when winter hit, very cold and very windy. Fast forward to April, and you have tornado season. You know about the tornadoes here since they've been national news. The one a few weeks ago that destroyed a small town was about 10 miles from me.

Other things which you may not like, but bother me less, is its very religious here. This is the bible belt. But with that comes extreme conservatism and some small minded thinking. People who live here are mostly all from here. So you get these tight knit groups of people who don't really care to make new friends. They're friendly, but good luck being invited into their little circle. They also don't know anything else and think OK is the best place in the world to live. Lastly, there's some weird liquor laws here that prevent some of the better stores (ie: Trader Joe's) from entering the State. They're also very behind the times culturally.

The good things are how laid back and nice people are. I love the company I work for, but I really have no life outside of it. If you're used to a bigger city with sports and other activities, you'll be bored here. There are things to do, but you really have to search hard to find them.

So there you go. This is my experience. Granted, I've only been here about 9 months, but thats what I see here.

Old 06-16-2013, 03:05 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,981,976 times
Quote:
Well, you can believe what you want. I had someone email me asking me why I don't like it here, and here is what I said:
So? Your inability to find social success is your problem. It isn't that you aren't justified in your opinions, but it is that most of us just don't care if you like or dislike us, our state, our communities, our lifestyle. If you wanna whine about stuff, go find a bartender.....they are paid to listen to you.

Old 06-16-2013, 04:06 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,536,080 times
Quote:
I hate it here.
It's okay if you don't like it here. But which is greater? Your hatred for this gawdawful horrible, boring, church going place or your fear to move away and find someplace you will be happy? ARE YOU SKEERT~???????

A little hint: Even young, bright, college educated, successful people should research before they relocate. Duh. Live and learn there, sport.

You CAN walk away from your job if you hate this place enough. And you are young enough to do it. But it takes a bit of guts and planning. I don't even wait until I have another job lined up. I can always find work. 10 to 1 you don't move.

Personally, I prefer to leave first and make it work. But then I have never been afraid to step off into the unknown. A strange personality quirk of mine. I don't recommend it.

Seriously, doors will open, but most won't until you shut the one behind you.

Our winters are actually pretty mild. We only get 3 or 4 snows a year, a few ice storms, but we also 60 degree weather and weeks with mild weather.

Anyway, I am not trying to convince you otherwise. You are not happy here. It happens.

Good luck on finding happiness.

Old 06-16-2013, 04:50 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,373,752 times
Default OP, I don't know where you are

looking for women to have a relationship with, but I know many women who are focused on their career, and have never been married, and are in no hurry to be married with children. They are happy and not looking for a man to complete them. Just reading your posts, they wouldn't be interested in you though. They might think you're a little whiny and complain a lot. I've hardly ever heard anyone talk about Oklahoma the way you have, so you're definitely in the minority. As a matter of fact, we hear just the opposite. How friendly and hard working and generous people here are. Edmond was recently voted as the best place to live in the country by Money magazine. Edmond, OK - Best Places to Live - Money Magazine

I think you must have some underlying issues. If you're bored, thats on you. I could live in the country, miles away from a 7-11 or shopping, and be happy as a clam. I can always find something to do. It's what you make of it. If you like plays, the Civic Center has some really good ones.

I've never known men to have cliques, or "clicks", as you call them. Maybe you're trying too hard, and coming across as annoying. It sort of reads that way.

The weather is always hot in the summer, and fall, and spring, but usually not that bad in the winter. We've had many winters where I haven't had to wear a heavy coat. If I move, it would be because of the heat. It just lasts too long. I sure wouldn't live somewhere that I hated as much as you do.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:06 PM

Well, at least the person who asked me appreciated my response. You guys are judging me rather harshly, but I guess you feel the same by me and what I've said about OK. I do think (and hope) that if I meet someone here it will change my view. I mean, I don't want to always feel like I have to go out and try to meet people. As an introvert, its exhausting. But if I'm going to have a life, I do have to force myself to do that. I guess it in part is my personality because its hard for me to talk to strangers. But if I was married, I'm sure it wouldn't matter so much. Then my biggest annoyance would be the weather. But I do miss the big city with the professional baseball and football. I know, I know, you have the Thunder. I'm just not a huge basketball fan.

And Jess, there are cliques here. Its just that way. I know the older you are, the harder it is to make friends, but still. When I first got here, I met a lot of people within the first couple of weeks. They were friendly and I thought this was going to be easy. But I quickly realized when I called them up to meet out or do something, and it was a different story. I think Edmond is great if you're married with a family. I hear the schools there are good too. If I get remarried, maybe I'll end up there. Who knows?

Redbird, I'm a planner. Not to mention in my career field, I can't just drop everything and move and find a job within a month, or even a year. Its just that way. So I think your suggestion is absurd. Then again, you don't know my industry and maybe yours is in high demand and easy to find jobs. I don't know many industries like that other than maybe oil and gas, and thats not what I do.

Guys, I'm sorry I offended by saying I "hate" it here. That was a strong word and I haven't been here long. I would love to change my mind about this place. Maybe that will happen eventually. I didn't love Atlanta. At least the people here are friendlier and the traffic and pollution aren't nearly as bad. There, ended on a good note

Old 06-16-2013, 05:28 PM

533 posts, read 1,711,019 times
Quote:
Well, at least the person who asked me appreciated my response. You guys are judging me rather harshly, but I guess you feel the same by me and what I've said about OK. I do think (and hope) that if I meet someone here it will change my view. I mean, I don't want to always feel like I have to go out and try to meet people. As an introvert, its exhausting. But if I'm going to have a life, I do have to force myself to do that. I guess it in part is my personality because its hard for me to talk to strangers. But if I was married, I'm sure it wouldn't matter so much. Then my biggest annoyance would be the weather. But I do miss the big city with the professional baseball and football. I know, I know, you have the Thunder. I'm just not a huge basketball fan.

And Jess, there are cliques here. Its just that way. I know the older you are, the harder it is to make friends, but still. When I first got here, I met a lot of people within the first couple of weeks. They were friendly and I thought this was going to be easy. But I quickly realized when I called them up to meet out or do something, and it was a different story. I think Edmond is great if you're married with a family. I hear the schools there are good too. If I get remarried, maybe I'll end up there. Who knows?

Redbird, I'm a planner. Not to mention in my career field, I can't just drop everything and move and find a job within a month, or even a year. Its just that way. So I think your suggestion is absurd. Then again, you don't know my industry and maybe yours is in high demand and easy to find jobs. I don't know many industries like that other than maybe oil and gas, and thats not what I do.

Guys, I'm sorry I offended by saying I "hate" it here. That was a strong word and I haven't been here long. I would love to change my mind about this place. Maybe that will happen eventually. I didn't love Atlanta. At least the people here are friendlier and the traffic and pollution aren't nearly as bad. There, ended on a good note
If you think "meeting someone" is more difficult than living with someone then I think you may be in for a very rude awakening. Be genuine and learn what your tastes are and how to have a happy, rewarding life whether it is alone or with a partner. Your happiness will no more be completed by another person than by the place you live.

In my opinion letting your career define your life is a real mistake. We don't really live in the era of careers any longer. Pick where you want to live and figure out a way to pay your bills and enjoy doing it while you're at it. You get to my age and look back and you realize that you've really had many careers and none of them are nearly as important as they seemed at the time.

Learning what you do like and don't and then doing something about it - for yourself - not for someone else - that's a great place to start. So you know you "hate" Oklahoma so begin there.

Very best wishes whatever you choose (emphasis on you choose).

Old 06-17-2013, 03:05 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,505,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
That really sounds like a personal problem and I'm pretty sure no one here really cares one way or another. We all find things to do, we all have fun, we all enjoy life, we all have friends, we all have careers, we all are rarely miserable...... If you are incapable of finding something to enjoy and be pleasant about I don't see why it is the community's fault. I hope you find a job and a community where you will be happy, but I doubt it exists.........no matter where you go, you and your attitude will be there with you.
^^^
This a 1000x over. Great post, GP.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:13 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,505,222 times
Quote:

This is much more balanced. Hang in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City