Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 08:39 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,682,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
In your position, OKC has two strikes against it. First, people from the East Coast have a more difficult time adjusting to OKC than people from the western states. I don't know why that is but it's usually the case. I moved from Charlotte a year ago and there are still things that bug the heck out of me about this place. Secondly, coming from a city like Philly which is barely a notch below world class, a city of 1.3 million probably wouldn't do it for you unless you were intentionally looking for somewhere smaller and less hectic. It's not just people from small, podunk towns that like OKC. People who must live in a major city though won't be happy here.
I get where you're coming from, but all those assumptions of me are false. I've only been in Philly for 9 months and have problems with living in the city itself. There are pluses for it obviously, but at the end of the day they aren't worth the chaos of living in it. I'd be happier in the burbs. I'm actually moving to St. Louis soon, and I grew up in the midwest, did college in FL, and lived out in the mountain west. I'm sure OKC has it's good parts, but other than the Devon tower and Bricktown I didn't get much offered. Of course this was all in one day, so I'm sure there is more to be had, the park near the Devon tower was cool though, near the Chesapeake Arena.

I enjoy mid sized cities, like Tampa, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 08:48 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,186,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
I get where you're coming from, but all those assumptions of me are false. I've only been in Philly for 9 months and have problems with living in the city itself. There are pluses for it obviously, but at the end of the day they aren't worth the chaos of living in it. I'd be happier in the burbs. I'm actually moving to St. Louis soon, and I grew up in the midwest, did college in FL, and lived out in the mountain west. I'm sure OKC has it's good parts, but other than the Devon tower and Bricktown I didn't get much offered. Of course this was all in one day, so I'm sure there is more to be had, the park near the Devon tower was cool though, near the Chesapeake Arena.

Yeah that's very fair. I am sure you will enjoy St. Louis. It's a good notch above OKC while not as large and crowded as Philly. Personally that is the size I prefer, but am living in OKC for work and family.

OKC is a hard city to really get a feel for in one day unless you've done your research and know where to go. Did you happen upon the Paseo or the Plaza? Both are among OKC's most up and coming neighborhoods but they are hidden away from the main thoroughfares.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:09 PM

17,633 posts, read 13,448,531 times
Quote:

I don't think someone not wanting to live in OKC or anyplace else for that matter is any big deal. But if you can't spend 3 days in a place without complaining about it then the problem is you and not the place.

I once lived in Lubbock and didn't care for it that much but I can go there now and enjoy a three day trip without complaining about how bad it is out there.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:10 PM
MJ7

Quote:
Yeah that's very fair. I am sure you will enjoy St. Louis. It's a good notch above OKC while not as large and crowded as Philly. Personally that is the size I prefer, but am living in OKC for work and family.

OKC is a hard city to really get a feel for in one day unless you've done your research and know where to go. Did you happen upon the Paseo or the Plaza? Both are among OKC's most up and coming neighborhoods but they are hidden away from the main thoroughfares.
I did not, and I also never had a chance to go near the Capitol bldg. It seems OKC has two downtownish scenes and I only saw the main one, not the one near the capitol.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:34 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,768,684 times
Quote:
I visited OKC on a job interview with Chesapeake energy, I was given a car for the evening and roamed around the city. The city is pretty blah. I think I would have been miserable there. I think people that more there from the rural areas of OK or other states would love it, if it's all they knew to be a city. But, as a well rounded traveler I wasn't very impressed. Brick town was okay, but would have gotten boring in a hurry. I felt if I worked at Chesapeake HQ (which has some pretty neat amenities) it would have been my life, and I for one wouldn't care for that...so ultimately I'm not working there.
You're right, and good decision.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:40 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,768,684 times
Quote:
In your position, OKC has two strikes against it. First, people from the East Coast have a more difficult time adjusting to OKC than people from the western states. I don't know why that is but it's usually the case. I moved from Charlotte a year ago and there are still things that bug the heck out of me about this place. Secondly, coming from a city like Philly which is barely a notch below world class, a city of 1.3 million probably wouldn't do it for you unless you were intentionally looking for somewhere smaller and less hectic. It's not just people from small, podunk towns that like OKC. People who must live in a major city though won't be happy here.
Hmm, its odd that people from the East coast would have a hard time here, but you're right in my case. People are nicer here, but they're just not that inviting into their social circles. In other words, they're nice to your face. I don't get it. The big city has its issues and share of materialistic a-holes, but this place is just dull and nobody cares to interact with a new person. Very cliquish I guess. And there is not much to do here. I've talked to many people who have lived here all their life and they can only count on one hand fun things to do here (of course, everyone's definition is different). I'm just sooo disappointed. I really had high hopes and didn't think I'd mind a smaller city and getting out of the rat race. But this isn't it for me.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:06 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,186,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Hmm, its odd that people from the East coast would have a hard time here, but you're right in my case. People are nicer here, but they're just not that inviting into their social circles. In other words, they're nice to your face. I don't get it. The big city has its issues and share of materialistic a-holes, but this place is just dull and nobody cares to interact with a new person. Very cliquish I guess. And there is not much to do here. I've talked to many people who have lived here all their life and they can only count on one hand fun things to do here (of course, everyone's definition is different). I'm just sooo disappointed. I really had high hopes and didn't think I'd mind a smaller city and getting out of the rat race. But this isn't it for me.
I know what you mean about it being cliquish, but I've lived in worse places in that arena. It's more difficult to make friends in OKC than in Charlotte for instance, but easier than in Little Rock or Fort Smith. I have a loose circle of friends but nobody I am real tight with like I had in Charlotte. I also consider myself easily adaptable but I think OKC is more difficult to adapt to than most places simply because it has greater drawbacks. I know I am not going anywhere else any time soon and OKC is much better than a few alternatives I have right now, so I am trying my best to like it. I disagree about there being 'nothing to do' here, you just have to look a little harder to find stuff. However, what there is to do is better done with other people than by yourself.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:45 AM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I think it's also the landscape that adds the OKCs nothingness. The closest thing to outdoor activities are the Ozarks, but that's not necessarily close by, it's about a good 4-5 hr drive, not making it that accessible. Sure the city has things to offer, as all cities do, but if you want to live a life that doesn't revolve around city activities (drinking, clubs, bars, art museums, movie theaters, malls, etc. - which every city has) then you will get bored plain and simple. They aren't really a sports town either. All they have is NBA and last I checked not many people are into it, myself included. It's isolated, the nearest big city is Dallas and that's a 3 hr drive. If you're coming from the East or NE of course you will probably not like it in OKC. East Coast has cities strung together and are easily accessible, not to mention they have mountains and many outdoor activities. The West is even better for this, higher mountains, beaches, outdoor things to do. It really depends on what you like to do. I'm sure a female (not all) would fair better there, as most (not all) care about material items and I'm sure as any city could and would provide all the material amenities. I doubt OKC would be a good place to reinvent oneself.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:04 AM

778 posts, read 2,312,732 times
Quote:
I think it's also the landscape that adds the OKCs nothingness. The closest thing to outdoor activities are the Ozarks, but that's not necessarily close by, it's about a good 4-5 hr drive, not making it that accessible. Sure the city has things to offer, as all cities do, but if you want to live a life that doesn't revolve around city activities (drinking, clubs, bars, art museums, movie theaters, malls, etc. - which every city has) then you will get bored plain and simple. They aren't really a sports town either. All they have is NBA and last I checked not many people are into it, myself included. It's isolated, the nearest big city is Dallas and that's a 3 hr drive. If you're coming from the East or NE of course you will probably not like it in OKC. East Coast has cities strung together and are easily accessible, not to mention they have mountains and many outdoor activities. The West is even better for this, higher mountains, beaches, outdoor things to do. It really depends on what you like to do. I'm sure a female (not all) would fair better there, as most (not all) care about material items and I'm sure as any city could and would provide all the material amenities. I doubt OKC would be a good place to reinvent oneself.
I'm not entirely sure what your point is here. OKC didn't work out for you....okay fair enough. I don't understand why you are posting on here though.

I don't care for the east coast at all. But I am certainly not going to go into a city board and just randomly say it. Am I missing something here?

I will say I am not a female and I fare just fine here, thank you.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:09 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,715,106 times
Quote:
First off, let me say I am not a native Okie nor am I from a small town. I've only been here a few years. Born and raised in Dallas, and moved here from Houston. I've traveled plenty, all over this country as well as others, so I am not some small town hick. I like it here and we find plenty of things to keep us busy. There are all kinds of outdoor activities in OK, and you can be in NW Arkansas (Ozarks) in about 3 hours.I know because I've done that drive many times. Have you been to the the Oklahoma tourism website and actually looked for things to do in the state? Here's a link to a page from their website with their list of the ten most beautiful places in OK. Ten Most Beautiful Places in Oklahoma | TravelOK.com - Oklahoma's Official Travel & Tourism Site Check out their entire website. I'm sure you can find something outdoors to do.

As for the no sport thing, this statement is hysterical. Everyone I know is sports obsessed in this town, and I've lived in cities much larger than OKC, with all the pro sports teams you could want (and many no one wanted). I know several season ticket holders to the Thunder. This city loves the Thunder and are still excited to have them here. And have you ever been here during football season? No, we don't have a pro team, but in my opinion college football is about a million times more fun than pro sports anyway. OU and OSU both have huge crowds of rabid fans, and if you haven't noticed this, you must be living in a cave somewhere. I also know several people that have season football tickets, some at OU and others at OSU. I'm not a fan of either school, although I have been to several OU games (my teams are SEC teams) but it's still fun just being here and watching all the fans.

No OKC is not the perfect city, and it still has a long way to go, but it is a nice place with nice people. That's okay. No place is perfect.

What I've learned is that sometimes you have to dig a little deeper to find things in a city. It's not always just served up to you. I've also learned that there are some people that will complain no matter what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City