Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2013, 10:33 AM

44 posts, read 134,189 times

Advertisements

My husband and I currently live in England (but we're Americans), and we're planning to move back to the US in the next few months. He's in the oil industry, so with the exception of Houston TX, OKC is the place with the best opportunities.

I've never been to OKC, but I grew up in West Texas, so it's not totally foreign to me! I will be visiting the US in a few weeks, and I have literally one 24 hour period I can spend in OKC to make the yea-nay decision. I would love to hear thoughts on what specifically I should see/do to get the best sense of the area and whether it's a good fit!

A little bit about us: We're in our early 30s and after several years of moving around in the US (and now England) for work, we're looking to put down roots and start a family. We're moderately liberal, but low key, and don't judge or close ourselves off from people who may have differing opinions. I will likely be staying home with any future kiddos and homeschooling them as well.

Husband would be working at Chesapeake or Devon, most likely. We'd be looking to buy a 3000+ sq foot home, preferably built in the 70s/80s, 7000+ sq ft lot, budget of $500K-ish, hopefully in a down-to-earth, live-and-let live sort of area.

What is on a must-see list for someone looking to get a sense of OKC?
Any tips on what neighborhoods I should visit?

Thanks for any insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 11:41 AM

17,619 posts, read 13,433,465 times
For the housing stock...............

Probably for housing you would want in the areas around Lake Hefner. Or Edmond.

As far as OKC, Dowtown, Bricktown, The River, Midtown, Western, the Plaza District, Paseo, Lake Hefner itself.

If I were you I'd look on Zillow/Trulia/Realtor.com at some houses in those areas and so you could come into town and look at individual houses.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:03 PM

778 posts, read 2,312,223 times
Welcome to OKC!

Eddie gein covered it well. Downtown and the surrounding districts (Bricktown, Broadway/Automobile Alley, Midtown) are a must to visit. For nice public spaces, make sure to see the Myriad Gardens or the boathouse area. Don't forget the bombing memorial as well.

As far as places to live, you can get quite a bit of house for 500K here. And since you are homeschooling, you are not beholden to school districts. For your criteria, I would suggest some of the more established North OKC neighborhoods. Quail Creek, The Greens, Val Verde, and Bocage up north, or areas around Nichols Hills like Glenbrook and the homes on the west side of OKC Country Club.

I know you said you would like to say in a newish home, but their are some historical districts that are closer to downtown. Besides Chesapeake, most of the bigger energy companies are located DT. At your price range, you can probably get a completely remodeled place (as in remodeled to the studs) in Heritage Hills or Crown Heights. Just something to consider.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:31 PM

Thanks a bunch for the tips! Much appreciated!

Old 09-09-2013, 06:21 AM

Just wanted to say that I completed my whirlwind trip to OKC and was very impressed. It is much nicer and prettier than I anticipated, and many people were SO friendly, it was a bit of an adjustment from England! Fingers crossed that the job works out for my husband, because I'd be very happy to call OKC home. Thanks again for the tips!

Old 09-09-2013, 04:18 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,712,276 times
Glad you liked it. It surprises a lot of people upon first visit.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:16 PM

5,542 posts, read 9,436,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Belle View Post
Just wanted to say that I completed my whirlwind trip to OKC and was very impressed. It is much nicer and prettier than I anticipated, and many people were SO friendly, it was a bit of an adjustment from England! Fingers crossed that the job works out for my husband, because I'd be very happy to call OKC home. Thanks again for the tips!

Old 09-12-2013, 02:41 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,377,066 times
Your "after the fact" post is very much appreciated! What did you think of Quail Creek homes? I thought from your description of what you wanted it would be ideal.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:14 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,104,201 times
Every time I wanted to know about a town I did four things. I visited the local grocery store, read the local papers, ate in the local restaurant, and I studied the yellow pages. I wanted to know about the churches, schools, parks, and general services. What I generally learned is esthetics (eye candy) isn't any more useful than lipstick on a pig.

As a whole Oklahoma and Louisiana are the two most diverse and interesting states from top to bottom in the United States. OK is okay; it's my second home.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:53 PM

12 posts, read 19,652 times
$500,000 will buy you A LOT of house in Oklahoma City. Also, since Chesapeake just laid off 650 workers in Oklahoma City... you are sure to find a great deal on a house from someone who needs to sell due to foreclosure.

In my opinion, you would love Nichols Hills. I am in your age group, and here is the reason why... there is a lot of old money there, and beautiful homes. Most of the Chesapeake crowd lives in that area. There is a "Whole Foods" within a 1 mile radius, (If that tells you anything) a Starbucks, and lots of upscale shopping. Western District is filled with art, antiques, culture, etc. Also, Penn Square Mall is within 5 miles, another upscale mall in the area as well as 50 Penn Place, Olive Garden, and fine dining.

You have picked the perfect time to move because of all of the layoffs. I would imagine you could find a few bargains on executive homes in the Nichols Hills / Crown Heights area. No offense to anyone who worked at Chesapeake or knows someone who got laid off... but usually when a tragedy like this happens, people lose their homes and they are forced to sell them at a discount. The layoff literally happened 3 weeks ago, so now is the time to consider buying for executive homes in that price range in the heart of Oklahoma City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City