Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 07:36 AM

1,586 posts, read 6,756,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
Good links, Synopsis.

The mass trans in OKC is pitiful, truthfully. The routes that stop at OCCC are 12 and 82. I wouldn't recommend a young lady new and alone live in the areas along those routes. I could live in those areas, though.

I checked Crime Tracker on newsok.com and found that 250 crimes were recorded within .75 mile of OCCC. That is high.

I don't mean to be nosy, but wouldn't your friend be better off to go to a school that has a dormitory for students to live in? There are many large and small universities in Oklahoma that would offer a safer experience. If I might ask, why does she want to go to OCCC?

OKC has an Asian District centered at NW 23rd and Classen. I would say it is mostly Thai and Vietnamese. There is a large grocery and many shops in the area. My daughter cooks Korean and Japanese food. There used to be a store on SE 29th that carried more items for Koreans and Japanese. I will ask her about it.
Totally Peggy. I thought the same thing but I just didnt want to be a downer on OCCC. OKC has the worst mass transit in the nation and with a possible NBA team coming it will be a real problem.

OP- you will have to get a car especially considering the area. There might be bus routes near by but the area is sketchy. But if you only need to go to the city sometimes to pick up groceries then Im confident it wouldnt be a problem. I rode the bus from norman to okc and back again everyday and it was never a problem. They always arrive on time.

OP- have you looked into other schools in the NW/urban areas in Uptown/Bethany. Many great private schools are in these areas of the city. I graduated from OCU and I am very familiar with the whole scene there. Asian district/Paseo/OCU/Uptown/Midtown/NW OKC/Downtown......

Here are some links for the area....wiki has a lot of other links for OCU ect....click on links via wiki and it should give you a great idea of the place or whatever.
Asia District - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
basic overall on OKC ...
Oklahoma City travel guide

SNU in Bethany would also be a good choice. UCO/Oklahoma Christian University in Edmond would be great...This is a really safe area.

In your position I would think about a possible commute to UCO
/OCCC and live in the asian district/Uptown or NW OKC that is close by. Or go to a private U like Oklahoma City University which has a great tie with the asian community. I know many students from many asian countries that loved OCU. Plus the area has a more urban bustling with activity feel to it. Great Pho noodle eateries and supermarkets Super Cao Nguyen Market :: Home Page . The transit service also has more bus routes around the inner parts near the asian district to get you to downtown or malls and stuff METRO TRANSIT – OKLAHOMA CITY - 22k - . SNU private school and area is also a good choice over OCCC. Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 08:37 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,953 times
For most young people in OKC, OCCC is good. I would not mind my daughter driving through those areas to go to school there, but someone unfamiliar with the area???? I didn't know there was so much crime there, so I don't think I would want my daughter to live around there by herself. I think an on-campus experience would be much better for a young lady from a different country, or from this country, for that matter.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:06 PM

3 posts, read 12,896 times
Everyone thank you for your suggestions. Transferring to another school right now isn't really an option for her because she has already committed to go to OCCC. She has friends who go to OCCC so she would not be totally alone at the school or in the city. I am just trying to find a safe neighborhood for her to live.

I think the best option for her is to live in NW OKC as Happytown suggested and take the bus to school. I am looking for apartment/room mate listings in NW OKC now. I have also found some places in Moore, OK that are in her price range and it seems like a safe area from what I have read and it is fairly close to OCCC.

Can anyone tell me if the buses run through Moore, OK? And what the town/area is like? I think this might be a good option for my friend, to live in Moore and take the bus to school.

So the best 2 options I see for my friend right now are

1) To live in NW OKC (Asian district/ arts district etc. as Happytown suggested) and take the bus to OCCC.

2)To live in Moore or Norman and take the bus to OCCC from there.

And once she has gotten settled in, get a Oklahoma drivers license and find a car.

Thank you again to everyone who has helped, the information has been very helpful to me in searching for my friend and I have learned more about OKC.

Old 11-17-2007, 07:17 AM

1,586 posts, read 6,756,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin-san View Post
Everyone thank you for your suggestions. Transferring to another school right now isn't really an option for her because she has already committed to go to OCCC. She has friends who go to OCCC so she would not be totally alone at the school or in the city. I am just trying to find a safe neighborhood for her to live.

I think the best option for her is to live in NW OKC as Happytown suggested and take the bus to school. I am looking for apartment/room mate listings in NW OKC now. I have also found some places in Moore, OK that are in her price range and it seems like a safe area from what I have read and it is fairly close to OCCC.

Can anyone tell me if the buses run through Moore, OK? And what the town/area is like? I think this might be a good option for my friend, to live in Moore and take the bus to school.

So the best 2 options I see for my friend right now are

1) To live in NW OKC (Asian district/ arts district etc. as Happytown suggested) and take the bus to OCCC.

2)To live in Moore or Norman and take the bus to OCCC from there.

And once she has gotten settled in, get a Oklahoma drivers license and find a car.

Thank you again to everyone who has helped, the information has been very helpful to me in searching for my friend and I have learned more about OKC.

OP- Have her ask her friends because she will probably want to live near them.
Moore or NW OKC? I would live in NW OKC if given the choice. Too many attractions and a nicer area to live. Finding an apartment in NW OKC would just take choosing the location she likes.....Paseo (expensive)/asian district~OCU area/penn square mall/lake hefner ect.
Safest for a single girl would be near the Penn square Mall/Lake Hefner/Nichols Hills area. Renting a house with friends is a great way to go.
Good luck

Old 11-17-2007, 11:19 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,953 times
The bus does go there but it will be a pain with transfers. She can use the time for studying though. Driving is really a must here. I too think NW OKC would be the best.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,119 times
Default Want to meet up?

I also attend OCCC, and am interested in japanese culture and language. If you dont mind introuducing us, I wouldn't mind meeting your friend. My email is [EMAIL="dcornwellswimmer@yahoo.com"]dcornwellswimmer@yahoo.com[/EMAIL] just shoot me an email if you want to do it

Old 05-10-2013, 05:12 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,575,030 times
Default Masters Or PHD. Degree

Not to be a know it all , but I'm pretty sure that she must have her Masters Degree or PHD. Degree by now

Old 05-14-2013, 06:45 PM

2 posts, read 4,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Has your friend considered UCO in Edmond? My co-worker is married to a Japanese and met her there. I wonder which school has more international students.
I am pretty sure UCO has more international students. I have a friend who works in their international office and they sign contracts with different foreign schools to try and get more students from both schools to study abroad. The composition of the international students change with the different contracts.

OP, you're friend will need to get a car and licenses if they stay here for more then two semesters. If they are staying less then they need to get an apartment as close to campus as possible. If I remember the area around OCCC it's okay and I think they have a shop which sells Korean groceries. There is no Japanese area but normally Asian based shops will have a small section of Japanese goods.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:08 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,760,032 times
The original post was in 2007! As Howest said, she's probably got her masters degree by now!

Old 05-15-2013, 08:11 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,624,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsAura View Post

OP, you're friend will need to get a car and licenses if they stay here for more then two semesters. If they are staying less then they need to get an apartment as close to campus as possible. If I remember the area around OCCC it's okay and I think they have a shop which sells Korean groceries. There is no Japanese area but normally Asian based shops will have a small section of Japanese goods.
How difficult is it for non-citizens to get a drivers license? I know if you allowed your Oklahoma drivers license to expire and then go try to get it renewed, it can't possibly be done, unless you can show the agent your birth certificate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City