Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 08:05 PM

2 posts, read 2,781 times

Advertisements

I have been applying at places online and no one calls me

I know druggies that have office jobs and i cant find anything

makes me mad

do i have start doing drugs to fit in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 01:32 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,918,018 times
When the first thing I see on a thread is "I Hate" I would not hire you either. I run a couple of businesses. I have been running my own businesses for more than 40 years. My businesses have run the gamut from remodeling contractor to owning a school. I do not hire people who "hate" What they hate is irrelevant. People that hate have a sucky attitude. I do not hire people with sucky attitudes.

I don't hire people that send resumes or apply on line. I want to look them in the eye and see if they are enthusiastic or if they have sucky attitudes. I want to see how they dress. I want to see how they talk. I want to see how they smell. Can't do any of that on line.

I want to see someone walk in the door. I want people that make an effort to get out of bed, get groomed and dressed, drive to my office. Its ok to call me and set an appointment. That is a lot better than walking in cold and filling out an application (it's called "respect my time"). Except for formatting, on line resumes or applications take no more than 30 minutes to write. It takes a hell of a lot less time to email them. Email resumes are not opened and go directly to the junk file which means any followup emails will never hit my in box.

People that say they can do everything generally can't do anything. I want to know what kinds of things you like doing. I want to know what makes you happy happy happy and brings you joy. I don't want someone who "has to come to work." I want someone who loves what they do so much that if they weren't making money they would do it for a hobby.

If you feel druggies are tough competition, then maybe you should start doing them too. If you want a "job" go for it. On the other hand, if you want to make a good living and never work a day in your life find something you enjoy, become good at it, learn how to be excellent at it, and knock (physically......use your knuckles and be persistent) on doors that when opened will create the kind of life you want. EVERY employer out there is looking for someone like that. NONE of them want someone that "hates." Nobody (except maybe Wal-mart) will hire a sucky attitude.

Last edited by Goodpasture; 10-03-2013 at 01:43 AM..

Old 10-03-2013, 05:09 PM

43 posts, read 139,260 times
The unemployment rate in OKC is around or about 5%. You must be doing something wrong. Did you just move here? I moved here almost a month ago and have had a job since my 2nd week here. Granted, I have a connection, but with the rate where it's at, there isn't a whole lot of competition. But like Goodpasture said, your name indicates you might not have the best attitude in the world.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:29 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,609,070 times
Maybe you should try a few places where you apply in-person, eh?

Old 10-03-2013, 08:58 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,185,388 times
It could be your resume, experience, type of job you're looking for, local competition for that job (people who live here or are planning on moving here), number of jobs applied for, education, etc. Your post doesn't go into details, so it could be anything. I'm no fan of OKC either, but it's not necessarily a local thing: if there's an issue in one or any combination of those points I mentioned (or more) you'll run into problems wherever you go.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:37 AM

653 posts, read 1,778,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
When the first thing I see on a thread is "I Hate" I would not hire you either. snipped
Goodpasture, I would hit a thousand reps on that one but it wouldn't let me.. BEST post I've seen in awhile here.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:40 AM

653 posts, read 1,778,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihateokc View Post
I have been applying at places online and no one calls me

I know druggies that have office jobs and i cant find anything

makes me mad

do i have start doing drugs to fit in

Just why do you go by "Ihateokc"? If its that bad, there are other places in this country that might fit your needs.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:54 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,495,927 times
Quote:
When the first thing I see on a thread is "I Hate" I would not hire you either. I run a couple of businesses. I have been running my own businesses for more than 40 years. My businesses have run the gamut from remodeling contractor to owning a school. I do not hire people who "hate" What they hate is irrelevant. People that hate have a sucky attitude. I do not hire people with sucky attitudes.

I don't hire people that send resumes or apply on line. I want to look them in the eye and see if they are enthusiastic or if they have sucky attitudes. I want to see how they dress. I want to see how they talk. I want to see how they smell. Can't do any of that on line.

I want to see someone walk in the door. I want people that make an effort to get out of bed, get groomed and dressed, drive to my office. Its ok to call me and set an appointment. That is a lot better than walking in cold and filling out an application (it's called "respect my time"). Except for formatting, on line resumes or applications take no more than 30 minutes to write. It takes a hell of a lot less time to email them. Email resumes are not opened and go directly to the junk file which means any followup emails will never hit my in box.

People that say they can do everything generally can't do anything. I want to know what kinds of things you like doing. I want to know what makes you happy happy happy and brings you joy. I don't want someone who "has to come to work." I want someone who loves what they do so much that if they weren't making money they would do it for a hobby.

If you feel druggies are tough competition, then maybe you should start doing them too. No No No Don't Pick Up The Pipe No No....howest2008..If you want a "job" go for it. On the other hand, if you want to make a good living and never work a day in your life find something you enjoy, become good at it, learn how to be excellent at it, and knock (physically......use your knuckles and be persistent) on doors that when opened will create the kind of life you want. EVERY employer out there is looking for someone like that. NONE of them want someone that "hates." Nobody (except maybe Wal-mart) will hire a sucky attitude.

Goodpasture believes in the Curmudgeon Smack Down , when you recover take his advice...In Bold

Old 10-25-2013, 08:49 AM

2 posts, read 1,753 times
Quote:
Haha, ouch. I found your reply interesting. Its a good look into how a potential employer would feel about hiring someone who would express, as you've said, a "sucky attitude". I think the poster was just venting or just being flippant, but you do make a good point for job-seekers. I do feel his frustration though, because I feel like I am in a similar situation. I've been with the same company for 10 years. I don't feel as though the company I work for could offer me much more; I've pretty much done as much as I could there but its not a field (retail!) I want to move up in. I'm looking for work offering similar pay (because I've been there for so long), but what I've been doing has not really given me any job skills that are valuable elsewhere, so I am limited to entry-level work. So no matter where you come from its difficult to find satisfying work that allows you to earn a living. Isn't that what we all want?

Old 10-27-2013, 09:46 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,610,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha-Kitten View Post
Haha, ouch. I found your reply interesting. Its a good look into how a potential employer would feel about hiring someone who would express, as you've said, a "sucky attitude". I think the poster was just venting or just being flippant, but you do make a good point for job-seekers. I do feel his frustration though, because I feel like I am in a similar situation. I've been with the same company for 10 years. I don't feel as though the company I work for could offer me much more; I've pretty much done as much as I could there but its not a field (retail!) I want to move up in. I'm looking for work offering similar pay (because I've been there for so long), but what I've been doing has not really given me any job skills that are valuable elsewhere, so I am limited to entry-level work. So no matter where you come from its difficult to find satisfying work that allows you to earn a living. Isn't that what we all want?
You have to start somewhere. If you don't start, you won't move up. There's nothing wrong with entry-level work.

As I said in another thread, if you can't earn a living, get room mates. That's what we all did when I was starting my adult life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City