Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 08:48 AM

60 posts, read 105,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by civich View Post
People who have lived here all their lives and have seen the growth and resulting increase in traffic think that the traffic congestion has gotten awful. Those of us who have lived in truly large metropolitan areas however know this: we don't have traffic here in OKC. When you move here from CA you will laugh at complaints of local traffic.
Agreed. Having also moved here from a real city, it's funny what people describe as bad traffic. The one thing I will say is annoying about OKC traffic is how people drive 10-15 mph below the speed limit when there is absolutely no congestion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 11:43 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
I don't know about that.....went to the airport early this morning and I counted 30 cars on that 3 lane road.......all going the same direction. That does NOT include the cars going the other way (must have been over 40 of them).

Old 02-23-2014, 09:49 AM

374 posts, read 806,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civich View Post
People who have lived here all their lives and have seen the growth and resulting increase in traffic think that the traffic congestion has gotten awful. Those of us who have lived in truly large metropolitan areas however know this: we don't have traffic here in OKC. When you move here from CA you will laugh at complaints of local traffic.
This is a fine example of the smug view outsiders have of Okies. As if Okies never travel or have experienced traffic in other places.

We know the traffic is worse from where you came. We don't want it to ever get to that level. It's not that you know something we don't.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:58 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,789,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCtoDFW2016 View Post
Agreed. Having also moved here from a real city, it's funny what people describe as bad traffic. The one thing I will say is annoying about OKC traffic is how people drive 10-15 mph below the speed limit when there is absolutely no congestion.
Haha! Agree!

I moved here from Atlanta. I'd love to go back or move to Dallas if I stay with my company. This is not a friendly city for outsiders. Nobody relocates to OKC. It will take time to get into peoples circles. But hey, traffic isn't bad.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnspecial View Post
This is a fine example of the smug view outsiders have of Okies. As if Okies never travel or have experienced traffic in other places.

We know the traffic is worse from where you came. We don't want it to ever get to that level. It's not that you know something we don't.
I don't think he's being smug. But OKC is disappointing to those who aren't from here and moved from a larger city. But I do know that its gotten much better than it was 10-20 years ago. At least there's a basketball team, low cost of living, occasional good weather days, and people who are friendly, at least to your face. I'm looking for other things to like because I do love the company I work for. I just with this company was in a more desirable city with better scenery (something green, mountains, etc), a few more things to do, and better weather.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Haha! Agree!

I moved here from Atlanta. I'd love to go back or move to Dallas if I stay with my company. This is not a friendly city for outsiders. Nobody relocates to OKC. It will take time to get into peoples circles. But hey, traffic isn't bad.
I agree.

Right now my plan is to move to Dallas in 2016 as long as I can save enough for it. I can't just up and move today or I would. Thing is I have a great job where I am at right now and people who don't know the situation think I am crazy for being so unhappy, but these people have either never been to OKC or have lived here their entire lives.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
I don't think he's being smug. But OKC is disappointing to those who aren't from here and moved from a larger city. But I do know that its gotten much better than it was 10-20 years ago. At least there's a basketball team, low cost of living, occasional good weather days, and people who are friendly, at least to your face. I'm looking for other things to like because I do love the company I work for. I just with this company was in a more desirable city with better scenery (something green, mountains, etc), a few more things to do, and better weather.
Right on. I am in the same situation in that I love my job but hate the city. I think that if there was at least some natural beauty here I would be happier.

Johnspecial tries to make it about politics but it isn't about that. It's the fact that pretty much everything here is third-rate compared to other major cities. It also isn't population that is holding OKC back. Places like Memphis, Nashville, Richmond, etc aren't much larger than OKC but offer so much more in terms of things to do and are more open to outsiders.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCtoDFW2016 View Post
I agree.

Right now my plan is to move to Dallas in 2016 as long as I can save enough for it. I can't just up and move today or I would. Thing is I have a great job where I am at right now and people who don't know the situation think I am crazy for being so unhappy, but these people have either never been to OKC or have lived here their entire lives.
Exactly. When I tell people I moved here from Atlanta, their first reaction is "Why????" The majority of people who live in this undesirable city are here because of family ties. I don't have family ties, which makes it even tougher. I am finally getting used to it, but certainly not ideal for me. I think it takes a lot of time to adjust to any new city, especially as you get older. Dallas wouldn't be easy for me either because I wouldn't know anyone. But I do think it would be easier to meet people there than it has been here. I do worry that Dallas is too pretentious and I'll hate that about it like I did Atlanta. But the benefits I think outweigh that concern. And hey, no State income tax in Texas. Of course, cost of living there will still be much higher. As you can tell, I've given this a lot of thought and hope that if I don't meet a great woman here to settle down with (I am dating one, but haven't made a decision yet), they'll let me work remotely and move there. Yet another thing about this city is the dating scene is awful.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Exactly. When I tell people I moved here from Atlanta, their first reaction is "Why????" The majority of people who live in this undesirable city are here because of family ties. I don't have family ties, which makes it even tougher. I am finally getting used to it, but certainly not ideal for me. I think it takes a lot of time to adjust to any new city, especially as you get older. Dallas wouldn't be easy for me either because I wouldn't know anyone. But I do think it would be easier to meet people there than it has been here. I do worry that Dallas is too pretentious and I'll hate that about it like I did Atlanta. But the benefits I think outweigh that concern. And hey, no State income tax in Texas. Of course, cost of living there will still be much higher. As you can tell, I've given this a lot of thought and hope that if I don't meet a great woman here to settle down with (I am dating one, but haven't made a decision yet), they'll let me work remotely and move there. Yet another thing about this city is the dating scene is awful.
The cost of living in OKC really isn't much lower when you figure in how much more expensive things like insurance are here than in other places. The only thing that is much cheaper in OKC is housing. I don't think Dallas though is that much more expensive especially if you buy in an outer suburb.

As far as Dallas, the pretentiousness does concern me a bit. My ideal is about middle ground between OKC where people go out in their pajamas and some Dallas circles where your entire identity is in the clothes that you wear and the car that you drive. It's a very popular city for transplants though so that in itself will make it a much easier adjustment for somebody who doesn't know anybody.

The dating scene is awful here because most people marry their high school sweethearts before they are old enough to drink.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:30 AM

374 posts, read 806,710 times
Quote:
I personally enjoy it when people from other southern states move here. It helps keep our culture intact.

However, one thing that people like you never get. We have become accustomed to outsiders putting us down. Since the fictional book Grapes of Wrath to how the state of California enacted their national guard to keep the Okies out, it's been the same stereotypical label pasted across our backs. I don't think people like you even realize how condescending you truly are.

I've lived on both sides of the fence. I've lived in one of the cities you mentioned. I can tell you the grass isn't greener. You gain just as many new problems that you leave behind. I wouldn't live in Atlanta if you paid me to.

The reason natives keep people like you on the outside is that they see through your condescension. The very condescension you don't even realize you are radiating. If you don't like it, leave. Don't come here and try to change it or make it like the place you left. Your home obviously wasn't adequate or you wouldn't be here to begin with. It's our home and we have a love for it you will never understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City