Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2015, 06:06 PM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
It depends on what one is looking for. Maybe for yourself, there are no advantages to places like Dallas and LA over OKC, but there are many people who seek a lifestyle that is readily available in a major city like Dallas or Los Angeles but is difficult to come by in a place like OKC. The old saying "wherever you go....there you are" is only partially true.
A place like LA is way to different to compare to OKC however I am curious about the comparison to Dallas. OKC is similar to Dallas in terms of weather and scenery and economy. What does Dallas have that appeals to you personally that you would access as a resident there as compared to traveling there from OKC to do the occasion event or shopping expedition for things that are not available in OKC?

We know that Dallas has more nice restaurants, more bars, more concerts etc. But what would you do on a more frequent basis than you do now when you travel down there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 11:10 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
We know that Dallas has more nice restaurants, more bars, more concerts etc. But what would you do on a more frequent basis than you do now when you travel down there?
It's an entirely different mindset and way of life. Though the list of things to do in Dallas that you can't do in OKC is nearly endless, the real difference is not as much what there is to do but what kind of life one can live. OKC is more in tune with small town middle America and Dallas is in tune with other major urban centers in the US. OKC is a great place to settle down and raise a family in a nice quiet subdivision. Dallas of course has plenty of that as well but it has much more. In Dallas its a lot easier to find your niche if you don't fit into the dominant culture. I am not saying it can't be done in OKC its just a lot more difficult than it is in a larger city.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:57 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,440,513 times
Mindset is carried by each individual no matter where they live. If an individual has the mindset to be a victim, that's his choice. Seems like all this has already been said. Is it time for that old dead horse to be wheeled in?

Old 06-18-2015, 11:57 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,791,580 times
Quote:
It's an entirely different mindset and way of life. Though the list of things to do in Dallas that you can't do in OKC is nearly endless, the real difference is not as much what there is to do but what kind of life one can live. OKC is more in tune with small town middle America and Dallas is in tune with other major urban centers in the US. OKC is a great place to settle down and raise a family in a nice quiet subdivision. Dallas of course has plenty of that as well but it has much more. In Dallas its a lot easier to find your niche if you don't fit into the dominant culture. I am not saying it can't be done in OKC its just a lot more difficult than it is in a larger city.
Agree with all of this. I'm taking a strong look at the Ft Worth area. Its smaller, but close enough to Dallas. I think I'd really enjoy it there.

Old 06-18-2015, 04:08 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,503,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Agree with all of this. I'm taking a strong look at the Ft Worth area. Its smaller, but close enough to Dallas. I think I'd really enjoy it there.
Interesting viewpoint.

I'm from Central OK and I also lived in Fort Worth for over a decade. Of all the towns I know of, the town which is most like OKC is Fort Worth (also Tulsa, but Fort Worth feels very similar because of the Ag community/stockyards).

I understand you have Dallas right next door. Why don't you just live in Dallas? Many high-toners from Dallas, by the way, look down on little ol' unsophisticated Fort Worth. Kinda like you look down on OKC. You don't want to be associated with those poor trashy folks from Fort Worth so just save yourself the embarrassment and live in Big D.

Personally, OKC is much better than DFW. This is the better side of the Red River.

Food for thought for someone who's lived in both places.

Old 06-18-2015, 04:31 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Interesting viewpoint.

I'm from Central OK and I also lived in Fort Worth for over a decade. Of all the towns I know of, the town which is most like OKC is Fort Worth (also Tulsa, but Fort Worth feels very similar because of the Ag community/stockyards).

I understand you have Dallas right next door. Why don't you just live in Dallas? Many high-toners from Dallas, by the way, look down on little ol' unsophisticated Fort Worth. Kinda like you look down on OKC. You don't want to be associated with those poor trashy folks from Fort Worth so just save yourself the embarrassment and live in Big D.
There are a lot of similarities between OKC and Fort Worth. However, Fort Worth is part of the greater DFW metroplex and carries with it the economic and cultural benefits that go with that. Fort Worth does have its own character but it is also very interconnected its region. Fort Worth is also quite a bit more transient than OKC.

As somebody who would like to relocate to the DFW area, I would personally prefer Dallas but if I got a job in Fort Worth I wouldn't object to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Personally, OKC is much better than DFW. This is the better side of the Red River.

Food for thought for someone who's lived in both places.
It's all personal preference. If you are a born-and-bred Okie and couldn't see yourself living in Longhorn country, then yes I can see that perspective. If you prefer a slower-paced, country lifestyle then yes Oklahoma beats the DFW area of Texas by far. However, there are numerous reasons one might prefer DFW.

Old 06-18-2015, 04:53 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,503,252 times
Quote:
There are a lot of similarities between OKC and Fort Worth. However, Fort Worth is part of the greater DFW metroplex and carries with it the economic and cultural benefits that go with that. Fort Worth does have its own character but it is also very interconnected its region. Fort Worth is also quite a bit more transient than OKC.

As somebody who would like to relocate to the DFW area, I would personally prefer Dallas but if I got a job in Fort Worth I wouldn't object to it.

It's all personal preference. If you are a born-and-bred Okie and couldn't see yourself living in Longhorn country, then yes I can see that perspective. If you prefer a slower-paced, country lifestyle then yes Oklahoma beats the DFW area of Texas by far. However, there are numerous reasons one might prefer DFW.
I hear ya. That's why I used the descriptor "Personally."

Old 06-18-2015, 06:18 PM

641 posts, read 1,072,773 times
OKC to Fort Worth is at best a lateral move. Tulsa and OKC per capita income both are higher than Fort Worth. No difference except worse traffic. Fort Worth = artificial cool downtown built by the Bass brothers. The flying Saucer is a pretty cool place to have a beer, the Kimball is a good art museum, and the Fort Worth zoo is worth visiting. Other than that, lateral move. I guess the Fort Worth artificial downtown is at least as cool as the artificial OKC downtown. Tulsa is a little better than both.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:32 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,791,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teakboat View Post
OKC to Fort Worth is at best a lateral move. Tulsa and OKC per capita income both are higher than Fort Worth. No difference except worse traffic. Fort Worth = artificial cool downtown built by the Bass brothers. The flying Saucer is a pretty cool place to have a beer, the Kimball is a good art museum, and the Fort Worth zoo is worth visiting. Other than that, lateral move. I guess the Fort Worth artificial downtown is at least as cool as the artificial OKC downtown. Tulsa is a little better than both.
Good info on Ft Worth. I've only been there once, and I liked it, but I didn't love it. Dallas traffic is atrocious. But this Ft Worth idea of mine isn't just out of thin air. My company just opened an office down there. Compared to OKC, it has to be a little better, if for no other reason than the closeness to Dallas and sports, restaurants, bars, etc. Could I live in Dallas and commute to Ft Worth? Maybe that's he question I need to figure out.

I am going to visit Tulsa this weekend. It will be the first time I've actually explored it. I've only been for a business meeting and back the same day. Suggestions on things to do are welcome. Staying at a nice hotel just south of Brady Arts district.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:36 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,440,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Good info on Ft Worth. I've only been there once, and I liked it, but I didn't love it. Dallas traffic is atrocious. But this Ft Worth idea of mine isn't just out of thin air. My company just opened an office down there. Compared to OKC, it has to be a little better, if for no other reason than the closeness to Dallas and sports, restaurants, bars, etc. Could I live in Dallas and commute to Ft Worth? Maybe that's he question I need to figure out.
Plus, there would be new people to gripe to. When can you leave?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City