U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 12-29-2007, 07:26 PM

35 posts, read 106,163 times
Default Oklahoma City Laws about Drivers Licenses

If I am relocating from New York and I am bringing my car, is there anything I need to do to comply with all laws, I.E. Do I have to get an OK license and if so, how long do I have? What is the parking like in downtown OKC?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 12-29-2007, 09:28 PM

3,160 posts, read 6,880,964 times
This is from the DPS website:

Q. How do I transfer a valid (not expired) license from another state to Oklahoma?
A. Upon establishing residence, new residents who own vehicles that are in Oklahoma are required to register all of their vehicles in Oklahoma before they apply for an Oklahoma driver license. Upon the completion of registering your vehicle(s) (if applicable), and if your license from another state is valid, take it along with a second approved form of identification to a Driver Examiner. The written and driving test may be waived if department standards are met. If you possess an out-of-country license please contact a Driver Examiner to find out if the tests can be waived.
Even if your written and driving tests are waived, you will still be required to take a vision test.

So, be sure to bring a certified copy of your birth certificate.

Here is a link to the driver license section: Driver License FAQs

Unread 12-30-2007, 10:59 AM

97 posts, read 217,028 times
Parking in the city isn't particularly heinous, though you do have to watch your meters pretty closely.

Unread 02-24-2008, 10:20 PM

10 posts, read 16,984 times
I am an Oklahoma Tag Agent. If you still need help with this question I can assist.

Unread 02-24-2008, 10:30 PM

330 posts, read 647,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagguy View Post
I am an Oklahoma Tag Agent. If you still need help with this question I can assist.
How long do we get to register our vehicles? Does our current registration count for anything or do we have to pay all the fees again? I just registered my vehicle in CA and it's valid until 2009. The reason for those questions is because if it can be extended for a certain period, I wouldn't have to pay fees that I just paid.

Unread 02-24-2008, 10:55 PM

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']As with most states, you must register your vehicles within thirty days of moving into the state. And no, OK with not give any kind of credit for paid out-of-state registrations. [/font]
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Now here’s the thing that most people figure out…when you go into the tag agency to register in OK, the clerk will ask, “have you moved into the state within the last 30 days?” If you say yes, you will be given a full years registration from the month you come in. [/font]
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']I am not advising you to break the law; I’m simply telling you how the registration process works. [/font]
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Also note that the OK Tax Commission is not the only agency that requires you to register your car with 30 days. OK law enforcement also upholds this regulation. Even though you could probably get by holding out a few months before buying your OK plates, I would not want to drive around OKC with CA plates until 2009. [/font]
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Finally, you will probably be surprised with the annual costs of car tags in OK. If you give me the year of you vehicle I can tell you what to expect. [/font]

Unread 02-24-2008, 11:22 PM

2003 Ford Expedition. Just to give info about CA, it cost me $162. If the "Governator" didn't revoke the Gray Davis fees put into place, it would be about $400 or more. In fact, when I bought it, I had to pay about $330, but the "Governator" gave us refunds when he revoked the fees. Now the state has about a $20 billion deficit. That's another story to be told.

Unread 02-25-2008, 11:59 AM

Do you still have an active lien? If so it should cost you about $118 the first time (due to misc fees, title, waste tire, lien, etc) and $81 per year after.
If no lien holder, take off $13.
There are no annual inspections or emmissions standars in OK. Your tag registration is the only fee you'll pay.

However, any vehicle entering OK from out-of-state requires a VIN & odom inspection, so you will need to drive the vehicle you are registering to the tag agency.

Finally, you must change your insurance to OK BEFORE you come in to register your cars. For example, if you have CA State Farm insurance verifications, you will need you find a State Farm when you get to OK and have them issue you Oklahoma Insurance Verification.

Any other questions feel free to ask...

Unread 02-25-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagguy View Post
Do you still have an active lien? If so it should cost you about $118 the first time (due to misc fees, title, waste tire, lien, etc) and $81 per year after.
If no lien holder, take off $13.
There are no annual inspections or emissions standards in OK. Your tag registration is the only fee you'll pay.

However, any vehicle entering OK from out-of-state requires a VIN & odom inspection, so you will need to drive the vehicle you are registering to the tag agency.

Finally, you must change your insurance to OK BEFORE you come in to register your cars. For example, if you have CA State Farm insurance verifications, you will need you find a State Farm when you get to OK and have them issue you Oklahoma Insurance Verification.

Any other questions feel free to ask...
All of this has been very helpful. No lien, just me and the pink slip. Good to know about the insurance before registering. Like you said before, there's some wiggle room on the "registering", but don't get greedy with it. It just help a bit to have some wiggle room so that everything can get in order before I make a move to get registered.

Unread 02-25-2008, 08:07 PM

52 posts, read 153,833 times
Tags are simple. Now your drivers license is another story all together thanks to HB1804, you will have to go to Dept of Public Safety and hope to God you have the "right" birth certificate otherwise it will get very frustrating very fast. Then if and when you get done at the DPS you will then have to go to a Tag agency and get your actual drivers license. It is a crappy system IMO and VERY time consuming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City