Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 05:13 AM

2,733 posts, read 1,544,950 times

Advertisements

Dvhxd,

Congratulations on your new job! I am always happy when someone gets a better job. (My daughter just got a promotion and pay raise and her father and I are happy for her, too.)

Good luck to you in the future. I am sincere about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 05:36 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,246,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
I'm unhappy here. If there's one good thing I can say about Oklahoma it's that it makes every vacation I take that much more enjoyable. I was very happy before I had to come here. And when you tell people who give you very vague generalizations about what they want in a town, and you sell them on a place like this, you're just asking for more unhappy people to come here. Good god... I work in marketing and see this all the time: people explain something one way, but they're often doing a terrible job at expressing what they really want. I would be happy to join those two, but I'll be out of here in about 2 1/2 weeks as I accepted the position. When I'm gone, after a few weeks or so I'll resort to my usual personality. If I had a new user name and you saw one of my posts, I would be unrecognizable.

My mental health now isn't so hot, though it's already improving since this offer today. I finally feel happy and motivated, and that I've reached the light at the end of the tunnel. And yes, I'll admit I have had a lot of new issues I've never had before coming here: loss of appetite, loss of libido, frequent headaches, easily agitated, belligerence, aggression, foul temper, lack of motivation, increased isolation, low energy... and yet, when I leave Oklahoma that all magically goes away. I've been on two vacation this year and none of those issues were a problem. In fact, I was very pleasant, polite and cordial to the locals when I was out of town. If you're referring to psychiatric problems, then no. There is no family history of anything of that sort. This is purely situational. I also usually don't have an issue with anyone unless they do something to directly affect my life or well-being. After my experience with people here, that has changed.

The issue with the cross, before a number of you decided to jump down my throat and hijack this thread, was a direct response to the OP and what his stance on religion is. I expressed my perspective on what this means. I have never seen that in any other city I've ever been to during the holidays. I explained that it's indicative of the kind of culture he can expect here. Get it now?

Who said cost of living isn't a part of life? I'm just tired of people saying how cheap it is here, when it really isn't as cheap as people make it out to be. I also believe cost of living should be justifiable. I think OKC is overpriced for what it has to offer. New York may be expensive, but I think the cost is justified for what you have at your fingertips.

And I encourage you to keep persuading people to move here when it's not in their best interests, and probably isn't in reality a good idea. Eventually you'll have a ton of people who hate it here and can't wait to leave, and they'll need a way to cope with it. I lived in cities with sizable transplant populations, and eventually you'll start getting more people who will openly express their feelings, and you'll probably start hearing it in public. Tell you what: for the remainder of my time here, I will respond to any such post that way and try to motivate uncertain people to make the move. When the bait and switch happens, you'll now have another malcontent amongst you.
I actually did the above, bolded, when I moved from California. Just in case anyone who knew my more usual name happened across the board, my plans were confidental and only my friend in Cushing and one other friend knew. When I had enough information I told the family, but didn't change the name until I was actually in my house.

Some of the people on the California board just go into a major shock if you say you moved because you didn't like living in California anymore. Then comes the beach and the mountains and Yosemitie, all those places you can go. Right, a three hour trip to the beach and a three hour trip back. Lotsa fun. And I loved the mountains, but hadn't been there for a while. Never did make it to any of the national parks. But I lived in smoggy gloom, lots of druggies decorating the street, and traffic which nearly came to a stop about three thirty every work day. Too many people and too many cars. I liked the wind but not the heat and suffered from the smog. Kinda far from soaring mountains and open spaces in national parks.

I'm not a fan of the politicans, but I do like it here. We almost moved to a town of a thousand a few years before, but he didn't want to enough, and without him I vowed I'd move out. There's a lot of people who love it there, and wouldn't want to come here. Fine for them, and for me who did. If someone like dvxhd isn't happy and needs to move on be happy he's found a new start. Each of us is programmed a little differently and that's good since we get to look and find OUR spot. I wish him great happiness in his new change of scene.

Old 12-13-2014, 09:03 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,498,523 times
Quote:
I'm unhappy here. If there's one good thing I can say about Oklahoma it's that it makes every vacation I take that much more enjoyable. I was very happy before I had to come here. And when you tell people who give you very vague generalizations about what they want in a town, and you sell them on a place like this, you're just asking for more unhappy people to come here. Good god... I work in marketing and see this all the time: people explain something one way, but they're often doing a terrible job at expressing what they really want. I would be happy to join those two, but I'll be out of here in about 2 1/2 weeks as I accepted the position. When I'm gone, after a few weeks or so I'll resort to my usual personality. If I had a new user name and you saw one of my posts, I would be unrecognizable.

My mental health now isn't so hot, though it's already improving since this offer today. I finally feel happy and motivated, and that I've reached the light at the end of the tunnel. And yes, I'll admit I have had a lot of new issues I've never had before coming here: loss of appetite, loss of libido, frequent headaches, easily agitated, belligerence, aggression, foul temper, lack of motivation, increased isolation, low energy... and yet, when I leave Oklahoma that all magically goes away. I've been on two vacation this year and none of those issues were a problem. In fact, I was very pleasant, polite and cordial to the locals when I was out of town. If you're referring to psychiatric problems, then no. There is no family history of anything of that sort. This is purely situational. I also usually don't have an issue with anyone unless they do something to directly affect my life or well-being. After my experience with people here, that has changed.

The issue with the cross, before a number of you decided to jump down my throat and hijack this thread, was a direct response to the OP and what his stance on religion is. I expressed my perspective on what this means. I have never seen that in any other city I've ever been to during the holidays. I explained that it's indicative of the kind of culture he can expect here. Get it now?

Who said cost of living isn't a part of life? I'm just tired of people saying how cheap it is here, when it really isn't as cheap as people make it out to be. I also believe cost of living should be justifiable. I think OKC is overpriced for what it has to offer. New York may be expensive, but I think the cost is justified for what you have at your fingertips.

And I encourage you to keep persuading people to move here when it's not in their best interests, and probably isn't in reality a good idea. Eventually you'll have a ton of people who hate it here and can't wait to leave, and they'll need a way to cope with it. I lived in cities with sizable transplant populations, and eventually you'll start getting more people who will openly express their feelings, and you'll probably start hearing it in public. Tell you what: for the remainder of my time here, I will respond to any such post that way and try to motivate uncertain people to make the move. When the bait and switch happens, you'll now have another malcontent amongst you.
First, congrats on the job. I'm happy that you'll get another opportunity and a new start.

As to the bold, RB's point was that you're taking it too seriously; and, if you're taking trivial things too seriously then the issue is with you. I agree with that sentiment and I tried to hint at it in a fun way with my first response (ergo, Merry CHRISTmas).

Wherever you go, you're going to deal with things that you dislike. I think the lesson is that if it's really offensive to you, but clearly not to the local culture, then maybe just keep that one to yourself. It's not worth the disagreements and explanations and, in your case, getting worked up over something little.

Good luck in your future endeavors DVXHD. Blessings.

Old 12-13-2014, 12:16 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,191,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by educator1953 View Post
Dvhxd,

Congratulations on your new job! I am always happy when someone gets a better job. (My daughter just got a promotion and pay raise and her father and I are happy for her, too.)

Good luck to you in the future. I am sincere about this.
Thank you very much. Professionally I'm doing okay in Oklahoma, but I think I've hit the ceiling at my company and there's no room to grow. This will be a good step in that direction. They've also started shifting some of the creative aspects in my department to another one, which is making it way too routine for me. This new job will be a big challenge, and I feel it's something I need in order to grow in my profession.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I actually did the above, bolded, when I moved from California. Just in case anyone who knew my more usual name happened across the board, my plans were confidental and only my friend in Cushing and one other friend knew. When I had enough information I told the family, but didn't change the name until I was actually in my house.

Some of the people on the California board just go into a major shock if you say you moved because you didn't like living in California anymore. Then comes the beach and the mountains and Yosemitie, all those places you can go. Right, a three hour trip to the beach and a three hour trip back. Lotsa fun. And I loved the mountains, but hadn't been there for a while. Never did make it to any of the national parks. But I lived in smoggy gloom, lots of druggies decorating the street, and traffic which nearly came to a stop about three thirty every work day. Too many people and too many cars. I liked the wind but not the heat and suffered from the smog. Kinda far from soaring mountains and open spaces in national parks.

I'm not a fan of the politicans, but I do like it here. We almost moved to a town of a thousand a few years before, but he didn't want to enough, and without him I vowed I'd move out. There's a lot of people who love it there, and wouldn't want to come here. Fine for them, and for me who did. If someone like dvxhd isn't happy and needs to move on be happy he's found a new start. Each of us is programmed a little differently and that's good since we get to look and find OUR spot. I wish him great happiness in his new change of scene.
I think you can never be too careful with private information. I haven't met anyone here from my hometown, which is why I'm hesitant to say it, because I think it would be easier to identify me. I also worked at an employer that had some shady practices and would actually go online to find your digital footprint, then find reasons to fire people. Illegal, yes, but they did dig up things on a coworker's medical history (in other words, drug rehab) and fired her for that. They were trying to find things on Facebook accounts they could tweak too, and cut a lot of people for that.

I'm with you on the politicians. I can't stand Fallin. I also question OKC leadership, because it seems they can't prioritize projects. OKC doesn't need that streetcar as it's planned. It's built to fail, serves no one and seems overall impractical. That's not being a naysayer, it just makes absolutely no sense to have a one-way circuit that connects one employment area to another without getting residents off the road. If you need to go 5 blocks south, you would either have to walk/drive or sit on that streetcar and take even longer to get to your destination. Roads are in disrepair and aren't designed to accommodate heavy traffic, so I think that should be a much higher priority. I just don't have confidence in OKC's long-term plans, because it seems they aren't planning for growth and are building highly unnecessary things.

About the individual programming, I need a lot of things to do because I can be fickle when it comes to plans and under normal circumstances just act on impulse. I also like to scan the events calendar for any venues, go to the theater (live action), try a new cuisine, etc. It seems to me my choices are more limited here. It doesn't matter where I live, eventually I'll want to get out of town for a weekend trip. So for me, nearby places that are a drastic change of scenery are a huge selling point. My ex and I stayed together for a little while when I first came here, and when he came to visit it was his first time and he said it just reminded him of Dallas suburbs. My point with this is that the scenery/culture doesn't change too much in places that can be a quick weekend trip. I feel I've been here too long as well. I found a job and had to stay to build up some savings, plus longevity. I took a different job that was more relevant to what I wanted to do, and then had to build up experience plus longevity. I felt I had to suck it up and think in advance, because I can't have my resume indicating that I'm just a job jumper. That would make it much harder to find a new job if I ever needed one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
First, congrats on the job. I'm happy that you'll get another opportunity and a new start.

As to the bold, RB's point was that you're taking it too seriously; and, if you're taking trivial things too seriously then the issue is with you. I agree with that sentiment and I tried to hint at it in a fun way with my first response (ergo, Merry CHRISTmas).

Wherever you go, you're going to deal with things that you dislike. I think the lesson is that if it's really offensive to you, but clearly not to the local culture, then maybe just keep that one to yourself. It's not worth the disagreements and explanations and, in your case, getting worked up over something little.

Good luck in your future endeavors DVXHD. Blessings.
Thank you. I appreciate that. My whole point with the cross is how out of the ordinary it is, and how strange it may seem to transplants. Off the top of my head I've been to about a dozen cities around this time of year and haven't seen that anywhere else. For people who are irreligious, aren't that serious about church, etc. it comes off as a bit much. Strict adherence isn't as big in other places.

I know full well this next step isn't going to be 100% positive. I already know there are things I won't like, but I know there are many more things I will. I don't know if I'll stay there until the day I die, but I believe at least I'll have a better chance at happiness.

Old 12-13-2014, 02:35 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,571,984 times
Default Someone Said That I Would Fit Right In .....In OK Well I'm Not Mad At You Person That Said That

I will fit right in ( in ) OK along with my unconditionally loving family that's already here. I have
been to 45 different states give or take a few and plan on seeing all 50 before I kick the bucket.

Let's see how I fit in ( in ) Hawaii , A Last ___d Joke Alaska , California , Oregon , Washington
Nutt Badder , Arizona , Utah , New Mexico , Colorado , Wyoming , Idaho , Montana , North Datoka ,
South datoka , Nebraska , Kansas , Missouri , Tex......as ,Ar...Kansas I'm Bored Can I Stop Now...

Midwest and Eastern Sea Bored.....FOMC...LOL.....

Because everywhere that I Go There I AM at the very least

I know how to give thanks for the GOOD and shovel dirt on top of the BAD and that's a good
life lesson.....FOMC...LOL

Old 12-13-2014, 03:51 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,435,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
I will fit right in ( in ) OK along with my unconditionally loving family that's already here. I have
been to 45 different states give or take a few and plan on seeing all 50 before I kick the bucket.

Let's see how I fit in ( in ) Hawaii , A Last ___d Joke Alaska , California , Oregon , Washington
Nutt Badder , Arizona , Utah , New Mexico , Colorado , Wyoming , Idaho , Montana , North Datoka ,
South datoka , Nebraska , Kansas , Missouri , Tex......as ,Ar...Kansas I'm Bored Can I Stop Now...

Midwest and Eastern Sea Bored.....FOMC...LOL.....

Because everywhere that I Go There I AM at the very least

I know how to give thanks for the GOOD and shovel dirt on top of the BAD and that's a good
life lesson.....FOMC...LOL
Howest, you have discovered the SECRET! If only it were so clear to others.... Now, please post a video for us to watch.

Old 12-13-2014, 04:07 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,246,558 times
Quote:
Thank you very much. Professionally I'm doing okay in Oklahoma, but I think I've hit the ceiling at my company and there's no room to grow. This will be a good step in that direction. They've also started shifting some of the creative aspects in my department to another one, which is making it way too routine for me. This new job will be a big challenge, and I feel it's something I need in order to grow in my profession.

I think you can never be too careful with private information. I haven't met anyone here from my hometown, which is why I'm hesitant to say it, because I think it would be easier to identify me. I also worked at an employer that had some shady practices and would actually go online to find your digital footprint, then find reasons to fire people. Illegal, yes, but they did dig up things on a coworker's medical history (in other words, drug rehab) and fired her for that. They were trying to find things on Facebook accounts they could tweak too, and cut a lot of people for that.

I'm with you on the politicians. I can't stand Fallin. I also question OKC leadership, because it seems they can't prioritize projects. OKC doesn't need that streetcar as it's planned. It's built to fail, serves no one and seems overall impractical. That's not being a naysayer, it just makes absolutely no sense to have a one-way circuit that connects one employment area to another without getting residents off the road. If you need to go 5 blocks south, you would either have to walk/drive or sit on that streetcar and take even longer to get to your destination. Roads are in disrepair and aren't designed to accommodate heavy traffic, so I think that should be a much higher priority. I just don't have confidence in OKC's long-term plans, because it seems they aren't planning for growth and are building highly unnecessary things.

About the individual programming, I need a lot of things to do because I can be fickle when it comes to plans and under normal circumstances just act on impulse. I also like to scan the events calendar for any venues, go to the theater (live action), try a new cuisine, etc. It seems to me my choices are more limited here. It doesn't matter where I live, eventually I'll want to get out of town for a weekend trip. So for me, nearby places that are a drastic change of scenery are a huge selling point. My ex and I stayed together for a little while when I first came here, and when he came to visit it was his first time and he said it just reminded him of Dallas suburbs. My point with this is that the scenery/culture doesn't change too much in places that can be a quick weekend trip. I feel I've been here too long as well. I found a job and had to stay to build up some savings, plus longevity. I took a different job that was more relevant to what I wanted to do, and then had to build up experience plus longevity. I felt I had to suck it up and think in advance, because I can't have my resume indicating that I'm just a job jumper. That would make it much harder to find a new job if I ever needed one.

Thank you. I appreciate that. My whole point with the cross is how out of the ordinary it is, and how strange it may seem to transplants. Off the top of my head I've been to about a dozen cities around this time of year and haven't seen that anywhere else. For people who are irreligious, aren't that serious about church, etc. it comes off as a bit much. Strict adherence isn't as big in other places.

I know full well this next step isn't going to be 100% positive. I already know there are things I won't like, but I know there are many more things I will. I don't know if I'll stay there until the day I die, but I believe at least I'll have a better chance at happiness.
There is still talk about extending the amtrak train from OKC to Tulsa and I'm really hoping they do that. I'd love to be able to go up there on the train. And since I don't have a car, taking me to meet the train would be way shorter. I can afford my house or a car, and as I have tried living out of a car, will take the house.

I won't do sites which need your name. I use pretty much the same one for the ones I post on, but don't want a page popping up with my full name. And I guess I'm lucky in that I never have nothing to do. I have a long list of projects waiting on me. Last night was great as I finally finished editing a story and rechecking and posted it past midnight. I HATE seeing misspellings in stories and worse, bad grammar. After I posted the first batch of chapters, it had already been looked at. Wahooeeee!!!!! Now I've got to finish the last of the four which I'm actually still writing. But I'm a loner by nature and too many people get to me. So small and quiet is just perfect.

If it hadn't apparently been taken over by tweekers, I'd still love it if we'd moved to the little town (really little, though its got two thousand pop now) in norcal. The trees were so tall and when we camped out there it was dark in a way I'd never seen dark. But then it was an 'us' trip and a part of the place would still be an 'us' and I wanted somewhere 'we' hadn't been.

I guess what it comes down to is what is a castle to one person is a dungeon to another, but that's perfectly all right since we don't come out of the single mold.

Good luck and I wish you much success.

Old 12-13-2014, 11:07 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,191,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
There is still talk about extending the amtrak train from OKC to Tulsa and I'm really hoping they do that. I'd love to be able to go up there on the train. And since I don't have a car, taking me to meet the train would be way shorter. I can afford my house or a car, and as I have tried living out of a car, will take the house.

I won't do sites which need your name. I use pretty much the same one for the ones I post on, but don't want a page popping up with my full name. And I guess I'm lucky in that I never have nothing to do. I have a long list of projects waiting on me. Last night was great as I finally finished editing a story and rechecking and posted it past midnight. I HATE seeing misspellings in stories and worse, bad grammar. After I posted the first batch of chapters, it had already been looked at. Wahooeeee!!!!! Now I've got to finish the last of the four which I'm actually still writing. But I'm a loner by nature and too many people get to me. So small and quiet is just perfect.

If it hadn't apparently been taken over by tweekers, I'd still love it if we'd moved to the little town (really little, though its got two thousand pop now) in norcal. The trees were so tall and when we camped out there it was dark in a way I'd never seen dark. But then it was an 'us' trip and a part of the place would still be an 'us' and I wanted somewhere 'we' hadn't been.

I guess what it comes down to is what is a castle to one person is a dungeon to another, but that's perfectly all right since we don't come out of the single mold.

Good luck and I wish you much success.
I don't know how successful that extension would be. I've taken it from here to Ft. Worth a few times and it's almost always open enough that I don't have to sit next to a stranger. I take it there because international flights are significantly cheaper out of DFW, and I can take the train/commuter rail to get from here to the airport there. What OKC really needs, but probably won't have in the near future, is a commuter rail from larger suburbs to downtown. I don't understand what the hold up is, because it's surprisingly cheaper to build than a light rail, elevated train or subway, as cities typically just need to make a few alterations to existing tracks, plus build a few stations and get trains. Regardless, that's still far cheaper than building a new system, but when combined they alleviate traffic.

To me it feels weird and uncomfortable when there aren't other people nearby. I can still extend that to OKC, because it oftentimes doesn't seem like people are around. It's almost midnight on a Saturday as I write this, and I can almost guarantee that I can go outside and the town will seem deserted. I know there are people out there, but it's some uncanny valley effect on me. My last apartment before I moved here was on the third floor, off a very busy thoroughfare, at the junction of two freeways, near the airport and in one of the densest parts of the city that is almost entirely apartment complexes. It felt like no matter what time of day it was, there was a constant sign of life.

The last point you made is the most logical, yet strangest part of the whole nature of this forum. The larger a population gets, the harder it will be to accommodate. Because OKC has a relatively small population, mass growth requires more transplants (as opposed to births). The more people that move in here (or anywhere for that matter) the more likely it will be that a larger number of discontented people will be in the area. On top of that, the larger it gets, the more its culture will change. And it will change at a very fast rate if OKC were to mirror Sunbelt cities in growth. On top of that, OKC isn't really designed to handle that large of a population, namely in transportation. It just boggles my mind that growth is encouraged when it will inevitably degrade many of the things people like about it.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:17 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,435,548 times
Speaking of hijacking a thread....................................

Old 12-16-2014, 11:23 AM

2,572 posts, read 4,249,423 times
Quote:
Too bad you can't visit within the next couple weeks. Basically every building downtown does a lighting scheme with the cross throughout December. You can Google pics if you want to see for yourself. Personally I find it insulting and disrespectful to non-Christians, but they do it every year around this time, but it does go over well amongst the general population. While I've seen generic Christmas decorations in any city this year, the crosses are alien to me and may not go over well in many other cities.
The crosses on the buildings don't bother me at all, as long as they are on private or church property. It is their buildings they can do as they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City