Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 09:11 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,212 times

Advertisements

Let's calm down, guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 09:38 AM

1,586 posts, read 6,756,597 times
Great article about how the Ford Center vote should pass.

The Journal Record - Article (http://www.journalrecord.com/article.cfm?recid=86094 - broken link)

Old 02-09-2008, 10:37 AM

That's a real good article. I agree with the author completely.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:06 PM

120 posts, read 424,975 times
what would make me feel better would be an NHL team in OKC, not an NBA team, but hey, we've got to start somewhere I guess.
Ultimately though, OSU and OU competing for National Championships every other year, as well as an NHL team, and NBA.
I can dream can't I?

Old 02-13-2008, 05:22 PM

The three most watched sports, with the most money, largest fanbase in the U.S and the world (not including soccer in Europe) are...The NFL, then the MLB, then the NBA. At a very distant fourth is the NHL. The NHL struggles with fans. The NBA trumps the NHL. The NBA has International exposure.
So, unless you personally like hockey more than basketball then I can understand your opinion.
OKC will be hosting the Big 12 championships in 2009 so get excited...Who knows. OU might match up with OSU.

Last edited by happytown; 02-13-2008 at 06:57 PM..

Old 02-18-2008, 12:15 PM

9 posts, read 31,605 times
Does this tax affect only the Oklahoma city residents? Why not tax the county residents since they will be using the services of the facility. They will also benefit from the jobs being created.

I did not read all the posts on here...since it is the FORD center do they pay for any part of the renovation?

I think it would great to have an NBA team here but most of the people who pay that tax really cannot afford to buy tickets to the game. Not only that there is a "service charge" for each ticket its close to $12/ticket...where does that money go. If the tickets were more affordable and parking was not outrageous I am all for it.

Any thoughts?

Old 02-18-2008, 03:59 PM

This tax would only affect Oklahoma City residents, because the arena is owned by the City of Oklahoma City. This tax would expire early if the NBA did not come, because a practice facility for the team is adjusted into the tax. So we would get a great facility for concerts ect. which is needed anyway.
What people do not understand is the fact that the arena needs upgrades not just because it wasnt great to begin with, but because it needs them anyway. Typical arenas need upgrades every 5-8 yrs w or w/o a NBA team.
The Ford is not a brand new arena anymore. After the upgrades (if voted in) are finished the Ford would be over 8 yrs old. Oklahomas have gotta stop being cheap or this state aint gonna go anywhere.

Most of the tickets are usually sold out before games are even played. Fans and Corporations buy them up for their employees along with the suites. Attendance is usually the factor. For the Hornets in NOrleans as an example, the tickets are already bought but there are empty seats. Its not a...Can people afford the tickets?...situation.

There are plenty of people in a MSA of almost 1.3 million to buy up 12 dollar tickets. The NBA is like a cheap concert ticket. Dont people pay like 20 bucks or something just to see Britney Spears or whatever? The fanbase in OKC for the NBA is way underestimated.

OKC was in the top 5 or 3 in the league for attendance with the Hornets and had all tickets sold for every game. On top of that our arena seats around 19,500 people for games. Its easy for LA and other huge cities to fill an arena because many times their arenas hold way less people.

OKCers here are still fans and created a deal with Cox to watch the Hornets...Which NOrleans fans are unable to do because they cant work a deal with their cable company or whatever. That says a lot. OKC is able to still watch the Hornets on basic cable, but Nawlins fans cant?? This wasnt just a temporary "Hey the NBA is here...Cool" lets go and watch it while its around.

Free parking can be found at Stage Center...Just dont tell anybody.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:32 AM

The tax is a sales tax, which means that anyone who buys merchandise in OKC limits will be paying the tax too.

Look at all the people who go to Penn Square Mall. People from all over the state drive to OKC to shop at the malls. We will be paying the tax too, which is fine by me.

Financing improvements by sales tax is really a great deal for the citizens of OKC.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:15 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,787,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
The tax is a sales tax, which means that anyone who buys merchandise in OKC limits will be paying the tax too.

Look at all the people who go to Penn Square Mall. People from all over the state drive to OKC to shop at the malls. We will be paying the tax too, which is fine by me.

Financing improvements by sales tax is really a great deal for the citizens of OKC.
\

Coming from a state where the government borrows money for necessities, or attempts to sell public roads (the current governor squashed that idea but is raising the tolls 800 % instead), it's refreshing to see a tax for improvements only. Our sales tax was raised from 6 to 7 percent last year, and almost none of the money went where it was supposed to go.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:37 PM

41 posts, read 180,329 times
Wooo. Get out your yard signs and Bumper stickers! The vote isn't far away and recent poll showed that "yes" and "no" votes are basically tied with "no" in the slight lead.....This is great for OKC and don't let anyone misinform you.

*COUGH*mapsformillionaires*COUGH*

YouTube - Vote YES for Big League City! Heres an ad from the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City