Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 02:57 PM

20 posts, read 83,726 times

Advertisements

Hi, wmassjb!
I am gay and have lived most of my life in Oklahoma City. We actually have quite a vibrant gay community for a city as conservative as OKC is. Yes, the majority of the gay community is situated around the 39th and Penn area, but there are a few other gay bars sprinkled around other areas of the NW side of the city. Overall, I would say the NW side is the most gay friendly part of town. Our gay pride parade may be small compared to larger cities, but we do have thousands turn out for the event every June. There are gay organizations here in town as well such as PFLAG, Cimmaron Alliance and others. Several gay friendly churches exist as well, including an MCC. You might want to check out HNOKC.net for local GLBT news and info. My partner and I do not get heckled on the street, although we are careful not to show affection in public, either. Which is sad, but it is Oklahoma. This town is not perfect and frankly, I'd love to move on to somewhere else if I could convince my partner, but we make do and it could be alot worse! Good luck with everything!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 03:46 PM

3 posts, read 26,444 times
I agree with what has previously been said - 39th St. Enclave and Paseo (not "gay" per se - just...artsy).

It's been a few years since I lived in OKC, but I used to love going out to 39th St. Growing up in OK, it was always incredible to me that a town so conservative had such a vibrant gay community. I feel the same way since living other places.

Do they still publish the Gayly Oklahoman? It's a weekly newspaper that would have a list of the clubs/bars/GLBT friendly establishments. It used to be at any of the places downtown, but also Barnes & Nobles, Borders, etc.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:17 AM

28 posts, read 108,333 times
Default Thank OKCGUY31

Thank you OKCGUY31

That post was inspirational for me.
The biggest concern we have had in moving there is how we might be treated due to being gay.
We have wanted to move further south for such a long time but always held back due to concerns. It seem though that as each year is passing more and more gay people are heading south, so i imagine that things will continue to progress.

We are down to just 2 weeks from today till we arrive..So fantastic indeed!

Old 01-19-2008, 10:25 AM

97 posts, read 368,860 times
The Gayly put out its last print edition a couple years ago; their Web site is in "under construction" status. HNOKC.com is still around. GayOKC.com's Database keeps track of services and support groups.

Old 01-19-2008, 04:16 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,788,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmassjb View Post
Thank you OKCGUY31

That post was inspirational for me.
The biggest concern we have had in moving there is how we might be treated due to being gay.
We have wanted to move further south for such a long time but always held back due to concerns. It seem though that as each year is passing more and more gay people are heading south, so i imagine that things will continue to progress.

We are down to just 2 weeks from today till we arrive..So fantastic indeed!
you will be a great addition to OK.

Old 01-19-2008, 04:27 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times
You will do fine in OkC wmassjb! Come on down!

Old 01-20-2008, 04:02 PM

4 posts, read 15,805 times
Default Gay friendly OKC

Don't be fooled. OKC is not terribly gay friendly. There are ares of town where the more progressive folk live, though. Stick to the areas close to North Western Avenue. These include my old neighborhood, Mesta Park. It has great old houses and many gay people.

You're also going to be okay in Paseo, Edgemere, and Crown Heights. There's also a great little neighborhood north of 50th & Shartel which you ought to check out. I can't remember its name at the moment. Sorry.

Edmond is nice, but you'll find bibles on every corner. Same with Bethany. Yukon, Mustang, Midwest City, Choctaw, and Moore are too country for my tastes, but you may like them. Eastern Oklahoma County is quite beautiful.

As far as suburbs go, Norman is great. It's progressive, youthful, and dynamic. It is a city that seems to be going somewhere.

There are several other areas to check out. Look at Putnam Heights and other neighborhoods along NW 39th. Also, check out Gatewood and the neighborhoods up and down Classen Blvd. Some of these are up and coming. You can still buy cheap there. The gay district, 39th Street, is a little seedy and has little to do except drink and hook up.

Good luck.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:58 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,619,497 times
Oklahoma City is no San Francisco when it comes to being gay friendly, but there is a sizable gay community and the many areas mentioned that would be comfortable for a gay couple to live. Tulsa is good too.

Oklahoma in general does not have a real big bar/dance night life for anyone. I have a lot of lesbian friends in Tulsa and they don't go out that much, they usually have house parties to dance & socialize.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:10 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
Oklahoma City is no San Francisco when it comes to being gay friendly, but there is a sizable gay community and the many areas mentioned that would be comfortable for a gay couple to live. Tulsa is good too.

Oklahoma in general does not have a real big bar/dance night life for anyone. I have a lot of lesbian friends in Tulsa and they don't go out that much, they usually have house parties to dance & socialize.
Once, when I lived in Tulsa, I accidentally stepped into a gay bar. I probably spent near 30 minutes in there before I realized that it was filled with guys, and guys only. There were other, subtle things going on that made me realize this. I was a little embarrassed and took my leave shortly thereafter.

It was a cool place though; nobody bothered me and it was packed with people. I kind of scratched my head after I left there thinking, "Hey! They didn't think I was attractive enough to hit on?!!!!"

Old 01-21-2008, 11:44 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,534,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Once, when I lived in Tulsa, I accidentally stepped into a gay bar. I probably spent near 30 minutes in there before I realized that it was filled with guys, and guys only. There were other, subtle things going on that made me realize this. I was a little embarrassed and took my leave shortly thereafter.

It was a cool place though; nobody bothered me and it was packed with people. I kind of scratched my head after I left there thinking, "Hey! They didn't think I was attractive enough to hit on?!!!!"
LOL! So what tipped you off and which one of the village people did you represent??

Inquiring minds want to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City