Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 10:27 AM

28 posts, read 108,333 times

Advertisements

Happy weekend everyone

As my moving date get's closer I am coming up with even more questions...LOL

First of all let me say, that I am not a club rat by any stretch of the imagination, but occasionally I do find myself desiring a night out to dance etc.
I have been looking at photos of the OKC Pride festival and I don't see too many people attending?
Can anyone please elaborate for me as to how the gay life is in OKC? My partner and I have been together for 3 years now, and we certainly are not the in your face type and you would not see us displaying affections in public. With that said however we are wondering exactly how much representation there is of the gay community. Web surfing directs me to the NW 39th st area. Are there any other areas of the city that one can feel ok?

We tried living in denver for a time, and we were called names on occasion just merely walking down the street. Here in boston that does not happen, and i know that is due to the extreme liberalism..LOL

Any advice would be appreciative..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 11:30 AM

64 posts, read 291,079 times
I've only lived here for a few months, but I've been told that Flipz! is an excellent restaurant that is known as being gay-friendly.

Old 01-13-2008, 05:20 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,619,497 times
Do you mean Flips Wine Bar, calitook? If not, where is Flipz!

I would think that the N Western and Paseo areas, among others, would also be places you would feel ok. They are not gay majority areas like the 39th area bars, but just liberal areas.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:29 PM

64 posts, read 291,079 times
Yes, I think that is what I mean. For some reason I thought it was spelled "creatively". I've probably been spending too much time online

Old 01-13-2008, 08:06 PM

1,586 posts, read 6,757,750 times
Good grief Flips isnt gay, but whatever. I believe the bars around the habana inn are all gay. Its the largest gay resort in the SW. The area has a gay pride parade and stuff at memorial park on classen. Its a big festival from what I saw. For me...I unfortunately had to witness a blow up condom inflate(some advertisement for safe sex) probably 60 feet tall while the festival was being set up. I was stuck in a game of basketball on a court when the parade arrived.
Habana Inn the Southwests Largest Gay Resort

Last edited by happytown; 01-13-2008 at 09:39 PM..

Old 01-14-2008, 08:50 AM

28 posts, read 108,333 times
Default Good grief

A 60 Ft CInflatable condom...
Happytown, that must have scarred you for life..LOL

It is always good to practice safe though

Thank you to those who have answered me, does anyone else have any views to share?

Old 01-14-2008, 09:34 AM

I wasnt scarred...Maybe scared! lol.

But anyway OKC is an extremely friendly city because it is so diverse. I have had gay friends female and male. It is more common in OKC than one would think. When you get out of the OKC city limits that is when you might feel a bit awkward.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:57 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,534,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happytown View Post
I was stuck in a game of basketball on a court when the parade arrived. Habana Inn the Southwests Largest Gay Resort

...and you were looking quite sexy in your shorts, there too fella!

Why did you take so long bending over to pick up the loose balls? You're double dribbling!

Sorry, HT, had to give you a hard time...

Old 01-14-2008, 10:14 AM

Thats some funny stuff Redbird! I have to admit that all of us playing 'ball' felt a bit out of place.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:35 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,534,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmassjb View Post
Can anyone please elaborate for me as to how the gay life is in OKC? My partner and I have been together for 3 years now, and we certainly are not the in your face type and you would not see us displaying affections in public. With that said however we are wondering exactly how much representation there is of the gay community. Web surfing directs me to the NW 39th st area. Are there any other areas of the city that one can feel ok?
We have quite a few gay friends, but most of ours are in 25+ years of LTR. And most of our friends don't drink and live in rural areas.

I think the best thing about OK is there are so many gays who do not fit the stereotype of a flaming queen. Not that there is anything wrong with that. You can even enjoy the gay rodeo in OKC! Now that's entertainment!! And the gay animal rights activists protesting the gay rodeo!!

Oklahoma is still bassackwards in many areas, and sadly there will always be the haters. But, hey, this IS the bible belt.

Having said that, there are quite a few GLBT folks here. There a couple of freezines distributed around town with all the resources listed. And I am sure Habana has a link for resources.

Good luck on the move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City