Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 03:09 PM

5,475 posts, read 12,239,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
West Texas and OK are also very similar, culturally - except that Okies cheer for OU, bless their hearts.

OP, are you a beer drinker? If so, I want to warn you in advance that Oklahoma beer is limited by law to 3.2% alcohol. Ours here in Texas can be as strong as 6%, IIRC.
Yes, I am a beer drinker and I know about the 3.2 beer crap. I do love all the craft beers and I like just about everything Shiner puts out. I also hear the grocery shopping in OKC leaves much to be desired, and then there is that whole income tax thing... I suppose there are pros and cons to every place. It's all about adjusting and managing expectations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 04:11 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,528,545 times
Quote:

OP, are you a beer drinker? If so, I want to warn you in advance that Oklahoma beer is limited by law to 3.2% alcohol. Ours here in Texas can be as strong as 6%, IIRC.
You can buy 6 point beer at liquor stores.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:47 PM

17,772 posts, read 13,662,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Same with Texans going into New Mexico or Colorado. I was stating that there are large mountain ranges in Texas. The only closest mountain range is the Davis Mountains which has the McDonald Observatory as well as the highest road in the state. From Austin to there is about about 4 to 5 hrs, so it's quite a drive. Even with mountains being far, you still have the hill country and the coast, say from Mustang Island to NW San Antonio where the hill country begins is 2 hrs.
I've lived in the Big Bend (Alpine) and it's about 5-6 hours from Austin depending on where you are coming from in Austin. Big Bend National park is another hour and a half from Alpine.

The Hill country is accessible to most everyone in Texas though. And the Big Bend does have some touristy amenities as well.

Oklahoma's scenic areas are just way underdeveloped.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:53 PM

641 posts, read 1,072,200 times
Quote:
West Texas and OK are also very similar, culturally - except that Okies cheer for OU, bless their hearts.

Come down here to San Antonio and say that out loud...
Beer is not really an issue, since it is easy enough to go to midtown liquor etc. for about any decent beer on the planet, they will sell you all you want. If you appreciate good beer, you surely are not drinking that factory swill anyway? So, beer is not an issue, just go to the right beer stores. I drink full strength beer, and plenty of it, no problems ever.

The practical difference between 3.2 factory beer and 5.0 factory beer is akin to measuring strong horse urine vs weak horse urine. Instead, drink real beer.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:45 PM

5,475 posts, read 12,239,912 times
What are the home insurance rates like there? I imagine they're pretty pricey, due to the weather.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:50 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,158,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
You can buy 6 point beer at liquor stores.
But it is sold at room temperature.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:36 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,803,645 times
Quote:
But it is sold at room temperature.
Correct. The state is worried about people buying a six-pack and downing it in the parking lot before driving.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:16 PM

641 posts, read 1,072,200 times
I can make it the 15 minutes it takes my freezer to get some beer below 40 degrees, I don't even get the shakes while I'm waiting.

Anyhow, since it seems to matter:

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) - Legislation that would authorize liquor stores to sell refrigerated, high-point beer has been approved by the Oklahoma House.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:01 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,165,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I've lived in the Big Bend (Alpine) and it's about 5-6 hours from Austin depending on where you are coming from in Austin. Big Bend National park is another hour and a half from Alpine.

The Hill country is accessible to most everyone in Texas though. And the Big Bend does have some touristy amenities as well.

Oklahoma's scenic areas are just way underdeveloped.
Like you said it's quite a ways from the big cities, especially Houston. Also Eddie Gein it's a good thing Oklahoma scenery is underdeveloped. I beg Oklahoma not to be like Austin, or California which they are destroying trees and hill tops for some Mc Mansion or Office building. Keep the scenery like it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City