Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 06:36 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,244,635 times

Advertisements

I was a transplant to Texas years ago. When I moved to Texas, I never told Texans "this is how they do it back home blah blah." I embraced Texas and became a part of it. I think that's the key to any smooth transition. Embrace the place where you are and soon enough, it will become a part of you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 03:05 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,167,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Texas, Oklahoma, just places to live. What's with the whole Texas pride thing? Or Oklahoma pride? Who cares? Geez, in a few years they both be overrun with illegal aliens anyway. So all that stuff they did at the Alamo ain't gonna matter anyway. The only thing that Texas has over Oklahoma is some Costco stores in the Dallas/Forth Worth area. Otherwise the two states are indistinguishable from each other.
Lol. No! Texas has ALOT that Oklahoma doesn't have. Large cities, ocean, tall mountains, large canyons. You tell me where can I find Padre Island in Oklahoma? Or Big Bend National Park? This is no disrespect to Oklahoma or any of you Oklahomans as I love the state. But both states are alot different than just some costco stores in DFW.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:46 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,244,635 times
I love Big Bend National Park, but OK has nice places too, just different. And I am not impressed with large cities like DFW. The traffic and such to me isn't worth it. That is one of the reasons I picked OKC: my profession is usually located in large cities, and OKC liked the lesser of evils (San Antonio, DFW, Houston). I don't want big city headaches, but if I choose to stay in my field, I'd have to pick among those big Texas cities. OKC seemed like the best choice.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
I love Big Bend National Park, but OK has nice places too, just different. And I am not impressed with large cities like DFW. The traffic and such to me isn't worth it. That is one of the reasons I picked OKC: my profession is usually located in large cities, and OKC liked the lesser of evils (San Antonio, DFW, Houston). I don't want big city headaches, but if I choose to stay in my field, I'd have to pick among those big Texas cities. OKC seemed like the best choice.
Oklahoma is a great state imo, it has alot of things that people would not expect. OKC and Tulsa are great to with like you said has less traffic.

Old 04-14-2015, 04:45 PM

641 posts, read 1,072,931 times
Texas might have some large mountains all the way down by El Paso, but it is not much more use to someone living in DFW than the Colorado Rockies are to me living in Tulsa. Texas is mainly flat, plus the nice hill country which is great and I do like.

Texas and Oklahoma are different, but in the grand scheme of things fairly similar.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:09 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,544,553 times
I think they're more culturally similar than topographically, etc. Nothing wrong with that at all! I can't wait to explore OK whenever we can find the time!

Old 04-15-2015, 03:36 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
No, in all seriousness, Oklahoma and North Texas are very similar culturally.
West Texas and OK are also very similar, culturally - except that Okies cheer for OU, bless their hearts.

OP, are you a beer drinker? If so, I want to warn you in advance that Oklahoma beer is limited by law to 3.2% alcohol. Ours here in Texas can be as strong as 6%, IIRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Texas, Oklahoma, just places to live. What's with the whole Texas pride thing? Or Oklahoma pride? Who cares? Geez, in a few years they both be overrun with illegal aliens anyway. So all that stuff they did at the Alamo ain't gonna matter anyway.
Come down here to San Antonio and say that out loud...

Old 04-15-2015, 08:48 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
OP, are you a beer drinker? If so, I want to warn you in advance that Oklahoma beer is limited by law to 3.2% alcohol. Ours here in Texas can be as strong as 6%, IIRC.
This, and the beer tastes like total watery crap. At least that Baptists are happy. Meanwhile, Oklahoma doesn't have anywhere near the lowest drunk driving rate so the laws obviously aren't doing what is intended.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:38 PM

17,795 posts, read 13,687,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Lol. No! Texas has ALOT that Oklahoma doesn't have. Large cities, ocean, tall mountains, large canyons. You tell me where can I find Padre Island in Oklahoma? Or Big Bend National Park? This is no disrespect to Oklahoma or any of you Oklahomans as I love the state. But both states are alot different than just some costco stores in DFW.
Texas is so huge that a lot of places in Texas aren't really accessible to most Texans. Big Bend national Park is at least 5 hours from even El Paso and it is at least 7 hours from San Antonio which is the next closest place of any size. You can get to about any place in Oklahoma that's with seeing with the exception of Black Mesa in less than half that time. The problem with Oklahoma is that if you go to the Ozarks or Ouachitas you might as well go on over into Arkansas where there is more to them. And why bother with Black Mesa when you are within a couple of hours of the Rockies.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Texas is so huge that a lot of places in Texas aren't really accessible to most Texans. Big Bend national Park is at least 5 hours from even El Paso and it is at least 7 hours from San Antonio which is the next closest place of any size. You can get to about any place in Oklahoma that's with seeing with the exception of Black Mesa in less than half that time. The problem with Oklahoma is that if you go to the Ozarks or Ouachitas you might as well go on over into Arkansas where there is more to them. And why bother with Black Mesa when you are within a couple of hours of the Rockies.
Same with Texans going into New Mexico or Colorado. I was stating that there are large mountain ranges in Texas. The only closest mountain range is the Davis Mountains which has the McDonald Observatory as well as the highest road in the state. From Austin to there is about about 4 to 5 hrs, so it's quite a drive. Even with mountains being far, you still have the hill country and the coast, say from Mustang Island to NW San Antonio where the hill country begins is 2 hrs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City