U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 12:30 AM

7 posts, read 60,438 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend recently got accepted to Oklahoma City School of Law and we're considering relocating there from Alaska. I will graduate with my teaching credentials in May and will be looking for a teaching position wherever we end up moving to. If anyone has any information that would be helpful in general about the area, like renting vs buying, what areas are good to live in, what should we know about the area before me move, etc. Specifically I'm interested in teaching positions in the area and around the area. What school districts should I be applying to, what should I know about applying, how to find out about certification, does anyone know of any openings in the primary grades around that area? Are there are opportunities out there for a first year teacher relocating?

Thank you ahead of time for any information you can provide.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 09:54 AM

3,160 posts, read 9,930,529 times
I used to teach in OKC public schools and my advice is to substitute teach for any school districts within driving range. Go ahead and send resumes out to any and all districts too.

Oklahoma universities graduate a lot of teachers each year, especially in elementary education, so there is a lot of competition. Substitute teaching is a great way to get an "in" with a school principal.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:37 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,179,784 times
I would check out the Oklahoma Dept of Education to review the Oklahoma requirements for educators Oklahoma State Department of Education (broken link)
I would agree elementary education is very competitive in Oklahoma and that substitute teaching is a great way for a district to get to know you. Districts that would be in your area are: OKC Public Schools, Edmond Public Schools, MidWest City Public Schools, Moore Public Schools, Putnam City Schools and there are several private schools.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:18 PM

Thank You for the advice!

Old 03-07-2008, 07:58 AM

32,837 posts, read 18,597,238 times
...And bring your paddle! Just kidding.

A friend of ours taught high school in OKC about 4 years ago. She must've hit the worst school with the worst kids, because she absolutely hated it. So be careful which end of the gene pool you dive into.

I suppose ~any~ high school will have its share of ornery kids. *and that's putting it nicely.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:00 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,125,177 times
Both wife and daughter are OK C school teachers and both love their school location. and classes.
I know several principles who are in Mid Del and they just love that system.
Thats the best I can tell ya.

Old 03-08-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
...And bring your paddle! Just kidding.
Should I be concerned??? LOL

Thanks for the advice...

Old 03-08-2008, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert 54 View Post
Both wife and daughter are OK C school teachers and both love their school location. and classes.
I know several principles who are in Mid Del and they just love that system.
Thats the best I can tell ya.

Thank you for your advice... do either of your daughter or wife work in the elementary schools in the area?

Old 03-08-2008, 09:15 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,125,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousalaskan View Post
Thank you for your advice... do either of your daughter or wife work in the elementary schools in the area?
Yes both are in elementary ed.
Daughter,(my hero the Iraq Veteran) is 3d grade
WIfe is deaf ed.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:59 PM

18 posts, read 77,520 times
I think you need to know what to expect. I have taught in 5-6 school districts, all pretty metro area. They are all different, and all have pros and cons. I prefer a more urban, multicultural setting, but others may not. OKC Public schools is a great district to work for, and you will probably have no trouble finding a job there. You can download their app online (Welcome to Oklahoma City Public Schools) as well as look at the district info, schools, etc. Some suburban school districts offer their info as well (Mustang public schools, Yukon Public Schools, Edmond public Schools, Deer Creek Public Schools) The districts that I would consider "middle of the road" -- not urban, but not really suburban -- are Mid-Del Public Schools (Midwest City/Del City), Putnam City Public Schools, Bethany Public Schools. Right now, a lot of Oklahoma area schools are looking for teachers for next school year - hoping to fill empty positions even before summer gets here.

If I were you, I would look at these websites for these districts and get an idea of which ones you would like to apply for. You can do a lot of this online, and you may find something before you even get here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City