Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 06:59 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post

The two deal-breakers for me are the hyper-conservative politics (it feels like this place is run by a Baptist taliban sometimes) and the violent severe weather season. Other states are legalizing marijuana and Oklahoma just repealed alcohol prohibition in 2016, and it doesn't go into effect for two years so that rural counties have the opportunity to go dry. The churches have way too much power here in the state government. There are plenty of liberals in Oklahoma and most are raging mad at the state government, but it doesn't make a difference because the Baptists have a complete monopoly on the state government. All they care about is banning abortion, oppressing LGBT people, injecting religion into science classes, and controlling what people put into their bodies. No Oklahoma GOP legislator should dare say they are for "small government." The only issues that the Oklahoma GOP actually does believe in small government on are gun rights and environmental regulations.
Speaking of state politics, Republican State Sen. Tom Dugger made an interesting statement in his Saturday commentary in the editorial page of the Stillwater News Press, writing, "We need to ensure Oklahoma's economy has stabilized before additional revenue reductions are enacted." This was in response to the bill eliminating the trigger to further reduce state income tax when revenue collections increased. So to me, if this is characteristic of how Republicans legislators feel, then they are looking forward to the day when they can resume cutting incomes taxes to further reduce revenue, rather than to better fund state core services, such as education and infrastructure. I think Republicans want to wean everybody off of state government services and expect cities and counties to take up the slack. If Oklahoma voters agree, look forward to these Republicans being voted back in 2018 and 2020. Anyway, I'd advise people in Oklahoma, who are thinking about it, to go ahead and move to a better run state. At any rate, absolutely don't continue to stay here, if your life is dependent on state government for anything. Oklahoma Republican legislators are geared up toward helping make life easier for their donors, the already well off. The poor will either have to sink or swim.

Old 04-24-2017, 05:59 AM

17,797 posts, read 13,687,653 times
Quote:
More the former, though I wouldn't call it "enlightened." OKC isn't the worst place to live, but living in a coastal area or major city can really change your perspective. I find a lot of people who have lived here their entire life don't really understand how things are in other places. That doesn't apply to everyone though as I know people who have lived in other places and while they may have various levels of likes or dislikes about OKC, we can usually agree on the two things I mentioned in my previous post. With that said, what is better or worse for me might not be for everyone.

Life as a child or teen is very different than life as an adult. We all tend to romanticize the past, forget the negative, and focus on the positive. I was in a toxic job situation where I lived before and also wanted to mend things with my family. I never really wanted to come back here but I thought I could make it work. I also went through gay-to-straight conversion therapy after moving back here which messed me up quite a bit emotionally. My real mistake was getting myself into a financial situation where leaving is almost impossible.

I have changed a lot as a person in the five years since I have been here.
I appreciate the very insightful and heartfelt response. That certainly puts things in perspective. Again, I realize things are not ideal for a person in your situation in Oklahoma, however I really, really encourage you to reach out to like minded people and groups in OKC. They ARE there and they are welcoming in that almost all of them have had a similar story to your own.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:38 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,581,661 times
Quote:
More the former, though I wouldn't call it "enlightened." OKC isn't the worst place to live, but living in a coastal area or major city can really change your perspective. I find a lot of people who have lived here their entire life don't really understand how things are in other places. That doesn't apply to everyone though as I know people who have lived in other places and while they may have various levels of likes or dislikes about OKC, we can usually agree on the two things I mentioned in my previous post. With that said, what is better or worse for me might not be for everyone.

Life as a child or teen is very different than life as an adult. We all tend to romanticize the past, forget the negative, and focus on the positive. I was in a toxic job situation where I lived before and also wanted to mend things with my family. I never really wanted to come back here but I thought I could make it work. I also went through gay-to-straight conversion therapy after moving back here which messed me up quite a bit emotionally. My real mistake was getting myself into a financial situation where leaving is almost impossible.

I have changed a lot as a person in the five years since I have been here.
bawac34618
I also went through gay-to-straight conversion therapy after moving back here which messed me up quite a bit emotionally. My real mistake was getting myself into a financial situation where leaving is almost impossible.

howest2008
Now I understand completely , American Christians tend to try to make non-Christians act and behave like Christians. You certainly can not force a square peg to fit inside of a round hole or a Homosexual to convert into a Heterosexual without that person seeking to make that interpersonal change themselves.

Old 05-03-2017, 11:36 PM

241 posts, read 431,887 times
I'm here visiting OKC and it's amazing how much the city is progressing. It is really starting to pick up the traits that major cities have. Took me 2 hours to go 20 miles yesterday. Never experienced that here before. No wreck or anything. Noticing a lot more party life. More people dressing fashionable. Good ****. OKC is always one of my favorite cities and it can become really special.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:55 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
I'm here visiting OKC and it's amazing how much the city is progressing. It is really starting to pick up the traits that major cities have. Took me 2 hours to go 20 miles yesterday. Never experienced that here before. No wreck or anything. Noticing a lot more party life. More people dressing fashionable. Good ****. OKC is always one of my favorite cities and it can become really special.
I've certainly noticed more traffic than several years ago on I-35 when driving to the city. Anyway, I'll never be a big city person. Traffic is bad enough in Stillwater. My brother hates Stillwater, because of all the heavy traffic. He lived in Cushing for a long time and is used to putting up with less traffic there. He eventually got tired of that, too, and moved to the country. He grew up in the country, so it's more like home. I came along later and grew up in Stillwater.

Old 05-05-2017, 09:59 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,689,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
Who cares about "fashionable" except shallow people? What difference does that make about anything?

Old 05-07-2017, 09:40 AM

24,538 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Who cares about "fashionable" except shallow people? What difference does that make about anything?
Sit on a bench outside of WallMart of the year 2016 It may be retro but here it might never have changed.

Old 05-07-2017, 12:15 PM

554 posts, read 608,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cboatner View Post
With the exception of SLC, Raleigh and Houston, OKC carries a major cost of living advantage. Is it the weather? Other top ten positions have their drawbacks; SLC=greatest snow on earth, Raleigh=summer heat, humidity & hurricanes, Houston=summer heat, humidity & hurricanes.
Houston hasn't experienced a hurricane since Sept 2008 ("Ike"). OKC gets tornadoes yearly, does it not ? As well as ice, snow, wind, and hail.

Old 05-07-2017, 06:34 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,581,661 times
Yes and Oklahoma City metro get the deadliest tornadoes on earth F4"s....

Old 05-07-2017, 09:05 PM

793 posts, read 1,112,290 times
^ The OKC metro doesn't even make the list of 25 deadliest tornadoes in the US, much less on earth. Bangladesh seems to have the world's deadliest tornadoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City