Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2017, 05:47 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,030,811 times

Advertisements

Two loose dogs killed an 82 year old woman and her Papillon as they were out for a walk around 2:00 in the afternoon. Mauled both of them to death. The police couldn't help the woman because of the dogs, so they shot one dog and ran their patrol car over the other.

There have been calls on the dogs before. As one Animal Control person said on TV, "there is a history with these dogs."

I generally love dogs more than people, but this is an outrage. The dogs should have been put to death after the second call of them running loose.

I live in a community where a lot of elderly people walk their dogs. To have such a lazy and ineffective Animal Control is frightening. I've dealt with them before and they are, as they say, as worthless as teats on a boar hog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2017, 06:41 PM

2,461 posts, read 2,479,051 times
I'm in my geezerhood, and I don't remember hearing about problems like this back in the 1950's and '60's. If there was a vicious dog problem, someone would take care of the problem with a shotgun. Animal control came from the business end of a 12-gauge, and that's the way it should be handled now.

Old 04-08-2017, 08:13 AM

Every now and then, that happens. And boy, oh boy, you should hear the media weeping and wailing about a dog shot and either left to die or already dead. Before you know it, a GoFundMe page is set up to help with vet bills. Never once have I heard a media moron say, "People, if you control your pets and don't let them roam onto someone else's property or chase their kids and dogs, or worse, kill their livestock, this wouldn't happen. PLEASE CONTROL YOUR ANIMALS!"

And almost never a time goes by that I drive Western, Penn, pretty much any main street, and there are dead dogs on the sides.

I'll never forget the first time I had contact with OKC Animal Control. There was a loose dog that had injured my dog and opened the skin on my leg. Yes, it was a Chiwawa (sp). Little dog, one of those that couldn't hurt anybody. We were both bleeding, but not much. Nothing serious. More annoying than anything. I called Animal Control. They said they would be out. So I waited around for a couple of hours, no show, so I called them back to find out about how long it would be before they came. This is no lie: "It can take up to five (5) days." Honestly. That's what the miserable officer said. Up to 5 days.

Totally worthless. Totally ineffective.

Old 04-08-2017, 07:46 PM

760 posts, read 768,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
I'm in my geezerhood, and I don't remember hearing about problems like this back in the 1950's and '60's.

Spayed dogs especially can become more aggressive, since most are altered this comes as no surprise. It is the female hormones that keep the small amount of male hormones their bodies produce- in check, remove the ovaries and female hormones and that check is gone.

One example:

The English Cocker Spaniel: preliminary findings on aggressive behaviour
Anthony L. Podberscek, James A. Serpell

Animal Welfare and Human- Animal Interactions Group, Department of Clinical Veterinary Medicine, University of Cambridge, Madingley Road, Cambridge CB3 OES. UK
Department of Clinical Studies, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Pennsylvania. 3850 Spruce Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6010, USA

Neutered and spayed dogs can become more aggressive:

Abstract

Males were significantly more likely to show aggression than females in situations Al, A8, A9 and Al0 while females were significantly more likely to show aggression towards other dogs in the household (A6). When comparing ECSs which had been neutered before signs of aggression were apparent, with intact dogs, neutered females were found more likely to show aggression towards children in the household (A5).

For females with existing aggression, many studies reported increases in aggressive behavior (post spaying):

Polsky R. H. (1996). "Recognizing dominance aggression in dogs". Vet. Med. 91: 196–201

Blackshaw, J.K. (1991). "An overview of types of aggressive behavior in dogs and methods of treatment". Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 30 (3–4): 351–361

Wright J. C. (1991). "Canine aggression toward people. Bite scenarios and prevention". Vet. Clin. North. Am. Small. Anim. Pract. 21 (2): 299–314. PMID 2053252.

Crowell-Davis S. L. (1991). "Identifying and correcting human-directed dominance aggression of dogs". Vet. Med. 86: 990–998

Old 04-10-2017, 03:36 PM

Oh, yay, another vicious dog attack on an elderly woman. I-35 and Covell.

She is injured but able to walk away. Thankfully, a witness hit the dogs off her with his bicycle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
View detailed profiles of: